Question on SS disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GroundHogDay, Apr 15, 2007.

  1. GroundHogDay

    GroundHogDay New Member

    I just don't know how this works. How much can one receive from going on SS disability?
  2. JLH

    JLH New Member

    Each person receives a different amount of money--it depends upon how much money you were making on your jobs.

    You have to have 40 work credits to be eligible for SSDI--which is about 10 years of work.

    It would be best for you to go to and read all you can on their site -- it has a wealth of information!

    And ... it is very difficult to get--it takes some people a couple of years before they finally get approved! The majority of people get turned down at least twice before they get it.
  3. Clay2

    Clay2 New Member

    There are 2 programs for ss. I think one is SSD, and it is the equivalent of getting your earned ss early due to disability. The other SSI (social security income), which is a welfare type program of monthly payments for those with limited assets and income.

  4. nightngale

    nightngale New Member

    should be receiving a yearly statement re: your benefits. If not you can call them directly and ask if you have enough work history and how much you would get.
  5. mhc

    mhc New Member

    I know that I need to apply for SSI or SSDI or whichever- Do I need a lawyer? There are several agencies that don't charge a fee if you don't get an award. I'v also been told that I can still work some while recieving benefits- It's so hard to even begin addressing this when I'm so sick and so fogged and barely hanging in there but I know I need to NOW.
  6. PVLady

    PVLady New Member

    Many people go on temporary disability which their family doctor can help with. Then, if you feel you will not be going back to work at all, you can apply for permanent disability.

    With the state benefits, I believe it is based on how long you have worked and the credits accumulated.

    I don't know your condition but my brother is age 59 and has a problem with his cervical spine. He was first on temporary disability in California, he then applied for permanent disability last September and was approved in October. I was shocked but I believe the reason was his doctor made good notes on his condition.

    My brother applied online for the permanent disability - he did not have a attorney or anything. I know it takes alot of people two years but I still think it helps if your doctor has good records.

    You might check out this website

    You might find some general information that is helpful.

    [This Message was Edited on 04/15/2007]
  7. Reidsbeads

    Reidsbeads New Member

    Start out at you local disablity agency or online at www. I think. You must apply definatly with your drs blessing then they send you to there dr and a shrink. then they deny you so you appeal that is when you should work on a lawyer Binder and Binder is working on mine though I first applied in march or april last year.the first time on Nov 22 2006. I hired binder and binder and then found out they said they never got my appeal which ticked me off cause you only have 60 days to appeal, then you have to start over again. I had called about it two months after I sent my first appeal and they even told me the lady to talk to and I left a voice message and of course she never called me back. When I called again in a couple more months at the same time I was signing papers with binder and binder I found out they didnt get my first appeal so I had then send me a new one which i filled out immediatly and took it down there. I made them stamp it and made the guy i was talking to about all this verify that i had called about it a few times and then was told they never got it cause otherwise they can make you start over and you lose all that back pay which at that point was just shy of a year, I am still waiting so no matter how much pain your in you need to get started on the paper work. I dont think your allowed to work once you file but for that i would contact a lawyer or even ask them. I think your age also has something to do with it too.


[ advertisement ]