question on SSD benefits

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maryann1958, Feb 2, 2007.

1. maryann1958

maryann1958 New Member

Is there a minimum one can receive for social security monthly benefits or could it be as low as $200? Who can live on $200 a month? If this is the case are there any other programs one can apply for?
  2. wrthster

wrthster New Member

You should receive every year or every other year a statement from the SSA. It should show your earnings to date and how much you would be entitled to if you became disable now. You may also be eligible for SSI (I don't know much about it) check there web site. If you get the SSA than you should be eligible after a waiting period for Medicare and it sounds like you would qualify Medicaid. Also, you can check on the web for any state or county benefits that you may be eligible for. You can make an appointment, go though intake and they will tell you what you are eligible for at the state and county levels. Best of luck to you.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Maryann, I am not an expert on SSDI or SSI, but I have always thought that there was a minimum, and maximum, that you can receive on both SSDI and SSI.

Go to www.ssa.gov to read more about disability payments.
  4. California31

California31 New Member

Not so easy to explain....but SSI is the "welfare side of Social Security...."....and there are maximum total awards...then each state has its own "minimum" scale....I think California and New York ( at last research)...bring the awarded amount up to the $800 range....(after varying determinations by the state's bureaucratic arms....)so it's mixed funds: SSD, SSI, and in some states....state monies.. SSD is based on earned quarters....while working. SSI is not based on earned quarters (at least to my understanding)...and the states have varying criteria for assisting disabled residents financially. Departments of Vocational Rehabilitation, (state)....and programs through Social Security's PASS ..don't know what the letters stand for(fed)....can assist with with funding some retraining...It would be best to contact local SS offices about the PASS program...as the ways it works may be different in each state...and the program may have been renamed since I first learned about it in New Mexico.