QUESTION ON TRAZADONE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Aug 12, 2005.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Hi, does anyone take Trazadone and can you tell me how it works for you? Does it help with sleep, and what side effects do you notice.

Thanks...
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2005]
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi...... took it many moons ago. Made my sleep very stressful or fitful and felt very drugged out the next day. The worst for me was that while taking trezadone, I could not care less about the "happenings" around me. "You want to give me a hug .. great. You want to stomp on my foot .. that's great too." LOL

Little more then I could handle. I don't do well on any AD's though. I understand there are members here who have taken trezadone with no problem at all.

I have shied away from any medication that makes me have "I could care less" or drugged outlook. I think I'm too much of a control freak ! LOL

Hope this helps,

Elsa
  3. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

The first antidepressant I was prescribed was trazadone. At that point I was taking 100 mg. About five years ago, I was having a rough time and my doctor increase the dosage to 150 mg. I started taking it at bedtime and it puts me to sleep very nicely. I'm now down to 75 mg. and the only problem I have is that it doesn't keep me asleep all night. I don't have any side effects.

Funny, I was reading an article on some medical site which said that trazadone is over rated as a sleep aid and that there are better ones on the market now. Well, I figure if it's still getting me to sleep, I'm not going to stop taking it. Unless my doctor says otherwise.
  4. hdbubblehead

hdbubblehead New Member

it was the first anti doctor prescribed. UCLA in Calif.
    it made me "hurl"
    was told take anyways, (gee that made sense)
    i was okay later. up to 200 mg.
    that was in 80's
    then IN 90'S AGAIN, ONLY THIS TIME I BOUNCED OFF THE WALLS THE FIRST TWO WEEKS
    DOCTOR SAID, YA HAVE TO CONTINUEE TO GET PAST THESE STAGES
    NOT ME !! I DONT FORCE POISON. ANTI-DEPRESSANTS ARE SHORT TERM, SUPPOSSED TO BE ANYWAYS.
    ALSO AT FIRST FEW WEEKS I WAS DIZZY AND HADE TO SLEEP ALL THE TIME, NO ENERGY.
    ALL THE BEST TO YOU! SINCERELY, ME.
  5. TheAurynn

TheAurynn New Member

I used to take 50 mg and it seemed to help some with my sleep. I don't think it gave me any side effects, but I know that can differ so much from person to person. Hope that helps some.

Take care,
    Jessica
  6. mommy22

mommy22 New Member

a couple years ago a dr. prescribed me 50mg to take so i would sleep. It would put me clean out for several hours. I wasn't on a high enough dosage to feel any ill effects the next day. I would be very careful about doing anything after you take it until you know how it will react. Good luck, Sonya
  7. pspatnode

pspatnode New Member

I have been taking it for a number of years (probably about five) and at first it would make me groggy in about 10 minutes. As time went on that went away and the only thing it does is make me sleep better.
  8. glafdy

glafdy New Member

I take 50 mg of trazadone about 1/2 hour before bedtime. It lets me go right to sleep and I wake up about 5:00 AM with my pain.

For sleep I have been on elavil (gave me very dry mouth and was very groggy in the morning. I also took Ambien and that made me sleep but it messed up my thought processes. I couldn't remember what people told me at bedtime or during the night. I also use a CPAP machine and with the Ambien I kept taking the CPAP mask off without realizing it.

Like I said, for me, Trazadone has been the wonder drug for my sleep.

Glafdy
  9. Connie3

Connie3 New Member

I have been taking trazadone, 50mg., for 17 years and it is wonderful for restful sleep for me, but everyone is different. I am sometimes a little groggy in the morning but not enough to count. Good luck!
  10. Vada

Vada New Member

I have been on 50mg of Trazadone coupled with 200mg Lamictal and it puts me out for the night. I have had no major side effects with it. Some grogginess if woken up too early but otherwise it seems to be working for me and I have been on it Since the end of May this year. LaVada
  11. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I take
    300 mg a night(I'm a hard case)I also have ambien- but if I sleep through my pain I have a hard time coming out of the pain.This gives me good solid stage 4 sleep for 4 hours(the most I've had for a year and a half.

I have tried noratripiline and amitripiline and they act like I've had 25 cups of coffee.Everybody reacts different to meds though.

By the way,nice to see you again.I appreciate the names you gave me while i was still in TN.

I've got a great doctor in Ventura,I live in Santa Paula but I am getting ready to rent in Ventura.My husband is playing professionally again (even with 3 fingers missing)and they finally approved me for medi-cal(there was a mix-up)

Forgive me if I've talked to you recently and didn't remeber because of fibro fog.Linda
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2005]
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am doing better now taking a small amount of Klonopin early in the evening and Ambien at bedtime.

I did fill the prescription for the Trazadone but never took it. I am so sensitive to meds - I have a feeling I would react like a zombie.