Question... Pain causing loss of sleep r is it backwards?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cczub, Nov 17, 2005.

1. cczub

cczub New Member

I'm also in a heated debate with my doctor over this. I feel that the lack of quality sleep is causing the pain, muscle pain/fatigue and no energy. He thinks it's the other way around. What are your feelings on this.

I believe the lack of "quality" sleep is causing me to feel this way not the other way around.
  2. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I know that with my old bed (which was horribly uncomfortable) I used to wake up 4 or more times each night because of pain. I would toss and turn trying to find a comfortable and non-painful position. So, I think in that case my pain was causing my sleep problems. But I've also had insomnia for years.

And I even got a wonderful new bed and still wake up 2-3 times per night, not in pain anymore, but just wake up and have a terrible time getting back to sleep. I had a sleep study when diagnosed and found that I don't get the 3/4 levels of sleep needed for recovery. So, then my lack of sleep can be causing my pain levels to be higher.

So it can go both ways. My doc and I are trying to find a way to get me into 3/4 sleep levels and stay there! It's a bit challenging though.
  3. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I say it's both. The less sleep you get the more pain you seem to be in the more pain your in the less sleep you get. Pretty much a nice nasty circle.
  4. cczub

cczub New Member

Strom, what shake are u refering to. I'm new to this DD and haven't does as much reading up on this site as I would have liked to yet....