Question Re: COBRA & SSD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dara, May 15, 2003.

1. Dara

Dara New Member

I would like to know if any of you are on SSD, but not yet able to receive Medicare. If you are, and have elected to continue with your COBRA coverage for the eleven month extension, then I have a question. I would like to know if your premium was increased by 150% of what it was for the first 18 months of COBRA coverage?? I just found out that my SSD was accepted as of the last day that I worked. So, I notified my employer, sent them a copy of the SSD determination. They sent it on to the Health Insurance Company, as required, and notified my employer that my premiums will be increased to 150% of what I was originally paying. From what I have found on the internet this is allowed by the Government. Now, am I looking at this wrong, or does anyone else take this as a penalty for being disabled? My employer has a contractual agreement that if someone retires after 15 years they pay their medical for four years after retirement. If their premiums are not increased, then why are they if you are disabled? Any input will be really appreciated.

Dara
  2. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

It is hard for me to determine my percentage of the increase in my premium but it didn't increase after I sent in my SSD notification of award. Let me just say this, I went from paying around 120.00 for health care insurance while I was working but that was for my husband, daughter and myself to paying 361.00 a month for myself alone after being terminated. That is an increase of 200% in dollars for less coverage. Did your COBRA coverage increase after you sent them your SSD notification of award because of the extension they are legally required to grant you? or did it increase from your previous amount when you were working?
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

18 months is the same as when I was working. By law, the employer can only charge 102% of what you were paying while you were working. Allowing them to up-charge you an additional 2% for administrative fees. The only way that they can legally change is if your employer was paying a portion of your insurance premium while you were working. My COBRA premium was the same as when I was working and will not increase until the end of the 18 month period, only during the 11 month extension due to disability. I found most of this information by doing a search under "COBRA and disability". Thank you for replying.

Dara
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

According to the law, employers can not charge more than 150% of your original premium after you are determined as disabled. Also, the 15 year rule for retirement from my past employer is only for people 55 and older. Also, from what I have read it is up to the employer whether or not they charge the additional rate. My employer wasn't even aware of the additional rates, they do not charge an administrative fee. I believe the ones who receive the additional fee is the Insurance Company themselves. I still think it rings as discrimination against a person for being disabled. Thank you for replying to my posting..

Dara