Question re: meds and symptom relief

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lisabk, Aug 22, 2006.

1. lisabk

lisabk New Member

To those who take antidepressants, painkillers, or anything else to relieve their symptoms:

I'm curious to know if taking these things has done anything in terms of symptom relief besides relieve pain. I have lots of other FM symptoms - brainfog, vision disturbances, disturbed sleep, etc - in addition to the pain. The pain isn't debilitating (though it wears me out), but I'd take something for it if the other stuff went away too. It's the other stuff that makes me miserable, especially at my job.

I'm high-functioning right now and take nothing other than 5 HTP (just started this last week) and supplements; I eat as well as possible, drink water, walk every morning, get a massage every two weeks, am good with the self-care, etc. I was diagnosed by a GP two weeks ago with fibromyalgia (I've been feeling like this for years and years, though, with periods of remission) confirmed after bloodwork for other illnesses came back negative. I'll be seeing a rheumatologist in September, but I already know he's very into treating this with antidepressants, which I'd like to avoid. I keep reading about people always coming off medication because of side effects; I'm not into side effects, especially if they're going to make me feel worse than I already do.

Any insight would be appreciated, especially regarding alternative treatments that have worked for people. I'm just about ready to start with the hardcore dietary changes, something I'm not looking forward to but am totally willing to try.

Thanks! Be well today!

2. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

For pain you may want to try Malic Acid. I didnt realize how well it was working until I stopped it.

Also, magnesium (with calcium) can help to relax your muscles and just make you feel relaxed in general. You can try CalMax I believe it is called.

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

lisabk:

Although I have pain meds, my rheumatologist also gave me an antideppresant (just discontinued) and sleeping me (recently changed from Ambien to Restoril).

However, he has had me buy a low impact aeorbic DVD, gave me copies of exercises he wants me to do, is pushing me into going to water aerobics and has given me a yes or no to certain supplements. He also gives me practical day to day advice on how to feel better in other ways.

So, it is a combo.

That has been my experience and I hope yours is good.
    If you need certain answers or certain meds: let him know.
    And you can mention what you expect from him. He may be the doctor, but you are the one who will 'hire' or 'fire' him.

Good luck,

nyrofan
  4. lisabk

lisabk New Member

... because I'm curious to know if what you're taking helped symptoms other than sleep deprivation and pain!

:)