Question re NK cell count

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, May 7, 2013.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I recently had some testing done, including Natural Killer Cell Functional Assay. The "normal" reference range was 8 - 170. My number was 13, so my doctor said fine. This just seems rather low to me, and that is quite a wide range also. I do have a lot of trouble with recurrent sinus infections. I'm currently taking cat's claw, which seems to be helping so will stick with this for awhile. My vitamin D levels are fine.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any input on my score of 13, which just seems rather low to me. I know low killer cell function is common with CFS.

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I replied on the other post - hope you feel better after resting-

[This Message was Edited on 05/07/2013]
  3. IanH

IanH Active Member

However the test should show several different measures.

Primarily NKcell cytotoxicity
    NKcell (dim) count and CD56(dim)CD16+
    NKcell (bright) count and CD56(bright)CD16-

ME/CFS people show significantly lower CD56brightCD16- activity. CD56(dim)CD16+ activity is normal.

Also, it is even more complex because these measures should always be made along with VPACR2 receptors, CD4+CD25+Tregs and FoxP3+Treg expression.

To get a proper measure of the dysregulation in ME/CFS these should also be measured: anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10 and pro-inflammatory cytokines IFN-gamma and TNF-alpha.

It is an immunological profile which helps define ME/CFS and is currently the most accepted biomarker profile.

The raised level of IFNgamma is thought to be the main reason for mitochondrial membrane depolarization and mitochondrial dysfunction as well as elevated oxidative stress, dysfunctional iNOS and glutathione depletion.

As you can see this is complex and any measures taken apart, except for the CD56brightCD16- activity means nothing for ME/CFS per se.

I am not sure what your doctor was trying to measure.
    Also killer-Tcell activity and NKcell activity are different things.

Measures of NKcell count have not shown to be relevant but are more likely to vary with immunological activity.

Even with the measures there isn't much you can do about it at this stage. IFN-gamma appears to be the main culprit and may be connected to the lowered CD56brightCD16- activity. Vitamin D modulates IFN-gamma but I don't know if it alters CD56brightCD16- activity. Probably not.

[This Message was Edited on 05/08/2013]
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks so much for your very detailed response. My doctor just ran some tests which were part of a Quest Lab "immune dysfunction" panel. The tests on the panels were Interferon-Alpha, Interleukin 2, Elisa, Interleukin 2, Receptor, Coxsackie B antibody, cytomegalovirus, Epstein Barr (3 tests), Herpesvirus 6, immunoglobulins quantitative, Natural Killer cell functional assay and T-cell subsets.

He was not familiar with these tests, but just ran them at my request and I requested them because I thought they might yield some information re my health. Actually all my results were okay except I tested positive for EB antibodies and HV6 antibodies, plus the low killer cell number.

But I've had none of the tests you mention above.

Thanks again -

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've read that almost everyone has the EB virus, but it doesn't make everyone sick. I don't know if it's ever made me sick or if it has any role in my cfs. I am taking cat's claw, which I like, and also just started graviola today - tested strong for it - hopefully these will help knock out that nasty bug which keeps hitting me!

I took OLE many years ago and didn't notice any difference, but I do like the cat's claw.