Question Re Social Security Retirement

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cromwell, Mar 18, 2008.

  1. Cromwell

    Cromwell New Member

    I cannot fathom government forms. Here goes. If I have 40 credits for SS I know I qualify. The thing is, if I earned hardly anything during those credit years, what will I actually get (min or max) at aged 66 when I can claim retirement. I took time off to care for sick DH and son. I live in NY. I know I will get Medicare without having to buy it. All I want is a rough estimate-will it be $200 a month minimum or what. My Dh is younger and on Disability so he won't retire until 6 years after me, when I understand his disability will remain??? Currently I get $100 a month as a dependent as does our son. I guess I will lose that too?

    Even good guesses will help here, as I am in a brain fog and cannot follow the forms.

    Love Annie
  2. mrdad

    mrdad New Member

    You should be getting a statement once a year from SS regard-
    ing your present acct. It should indicate how much credit
    you have to date. Also how much you are eligible for per mo.
    at the age you retire. An appt. with your local SS Office
    can tell you in a few mins. as it is all on the 'Puter.

    My friend born in '45 was able to collect about 80% of her
    monthly benefit at the age 62. The full amt. if she had
    waited to 65 or 66. There is also a means of contacting
    SS on line and obtaining the info.

    Huggles Annie,

    P.S. Annie see:[This Message was Edited on 03/18/2008]
  3. Cromwell

    Cromwell New Member

    I have the form, that tells me after this year I should have 40 credits (remember I only moved here in the 1980's)

    As during that whole time, due to being back in UK twice and then having to care for DH and son, my total income for all those years is less than $100,000. I was told too, that they only look at your last ten years or three years income, which for me, was either zero per year or about $4,000 per year.

    On my form it does not say what I will actually get, only that I need to have 40 credits, I cannot add any more than 40 as they cut off at 40 (which equals ten years of work usually) and the 20 years I worked in the UK although transferable, would not add to anything as it was too long ago. (I could have used them for credits though).

    So, I guess all I will get is a minimum but how do I discover what that is? I have searched the form and there is nowhere at all it states I will qualify for such and such. I'll check again though.

  4. Cromwell

    Cromwell New Member

    ...I went on line to do it (also discovered my ex was claiming all my income as his (he was not working!!! but did the tax forms) I will be eleigible for Medicare and the grand sum of $204 a month to live on. Hopefully, I will get about the same from UK, but not a lot. Better start signing up for lottery!!! I guess DH will still keep his disability, but I lose the $100 a month dependent issue. If I die neither my disabled son or dh will get a dime. I also cannot claim disability.

    I guess this is a great reward for years of taking care of two disabled people and wearing myself to the bone-guess what, you can now die penniless and if you get sick(er) tough luck. How does the g'ment here expect you to work very much with such a personal workload. Seems very cruel.

    Maybe we should move back home!!!


  5. mezombie

    mezombie Member

    Yes, it is very cruel to ignore all you did as a caretaker!

    I wish I could help. All I can do is sympathize. I know in parts of Europe mothers get government support after giving birth so they can stay home and take care of their babies. One would think provisions for caretakers would exist, too.

    Is there such a thing as a caretaker tax credit? I thought there was, or at least there was some talk of it.

    Dang it.

  6. mrdad

    mrdad New Member

    Ya know, I'd make an appt. to visit with a SS worker at your
    local office with notes in hand detailing all the facts con-
    cerning former husband etc. You may be able to claim some
    "extra time" credit while you were married to him from HIS
    contribution at that time. I'd explain to a Humunid your
    entire history and information!

    I figured that the 'Old Squeeze put $30,000 over her lifetime
    and I helped her start collect her SS at this time last year
    at age 62! She died seven months later having only collected
    less than 5 thou. of it. The other 25,000 remains in the
    system and of course does not become part of her estate!
    If that 30,000 had been invested in something like an IRA
    over those years, the compounded amount would have been
    hundreds of thousands! The Gov. done good on this one!
    She would have been 63 today.

    But Annie, I'd attempt to get an "onsight" definitive state-
    ment from them!


    [This Message was Edited on 03/18/2008]
  7. Cromwell

    Cromwell New Member

    ....some states do give a caregiver allowance and SS credit.

    Mr Dad - I have to tell you the ex never worked the 5 years we were together, he just did the taxes "for me" guess put them in HIS name. Plus I paid of his student loan. He just inherited about 3 million and wudja think he thought to repay me-nah, plus he is a minister of sorts!!!!

    Canada looks better daily. Partic as we just discovered our son's great school program here, which we moved here for, is closing down!!! And yes, you are right in France, Uk etc even people who are resident aliens get a lot of paid leave, help etc. In Denmark it is very good. Of course, the taxes are higher to pay for this, but people don't seem to mind at all.

    Love Annie

[ advertisement ]