QUESTION RE: SWITCHING MEDS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rockgor, May 17, 2006.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Here's a question for those of you who are knowledgable about taking meds. I have been taking antidepressants for about 25 year. They have all worked fine. Never had any side effects except for Prozac and it's well-known effect on the libedo.

I've been on Effexor for several years. But the pills cost over $4 @. My dr. will not prescribe a different med. Says he can give me samples now and then.

Now I can get some Wellbutrin/Buproprion SR free from a friend.

I wonder if I can mix them. Or do I need to go off the Effexor and wait a while and then start up the new med.

I am beginning to think the purpose of sr. citizens is to support the medical establishment. My life savings are going for medical/medical insurance at an alarming rate. Is this what I worked and saved for?

Thanks.
  2. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

Please do not trade medications as this is highly illegal and could land you in the pokey and it is very dangerous to take things your not sure of. I would just talk to your Dr. about not being able to afford the current med's he has you on or seeing if he can ween you off this medication to see how you do with the depression.

TxSongBird
  3. tlayne

tlayne Member

I know that Effexor is costly, but I would not switch meds without your dr.'s knowledge. Effexor inhibits reuptake of serotonin & norepinephrine in the CNS (Central Nervous System). Because of this is not only helps with the depression, but also the pain from fibro that is believed to be caused from the CNS going haywire.

Wellbutrin decreases neuronal reuptake of dopamine in the CNS. It has a different action. It does help with depression, but it does not help with the pain, or at least this has been my experience.

Please whatever you do, DO NOT mix any medication with out your DR approving! If your meds are not working for you let your DR know. Please be safe. I know the cost is a hard, but don't take any risks with your health. Hugs, Tam
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I gather that mixing meds is stupid, but I doubt that it's criminal. Being stupid is no crime. Look at all the famous people whose stupid antics are in the paper daily. (You can make up your own list.)

Maybe the drug companies will come out w/ a generic for Effexor pretty soon.

Or maybe I will just get a new dr. The trouble is, of course, they all want to do another thousand dollars worth of testing on their new patients.

The sonar screen test I had for my heart, in fact, cost $1375 of which Medicare paid about one-third. The doctor is going to have trouble collecting on the balance.

5. justplainmom

justplainmom New Member

I've been on Effexor. It's not something you want to mess with on your own. Talk to your doctor or find a new one that will listen to you.

Steer clear of "free" samples that are not coming directly from your doctor.
  6. tlayne

tlayne Member

medication assistance from the pharm. companies? This might be an option for you. I am wishing for you some good luck. If nothing else, all your medical & medicine expenses & are tax deductable! Hugs, Tam
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

first off, my psychaitrsit said that a combo of prozac a and wellbutrin was the same as effexor...and he had me do it that way...well if i recall correctly your from california, like myself...

i have kaiser insurance, you know th hmo that seems to be getting sued again for not allowing people to get thier kidney transplants...etc..anyways...

this is how he did this form me...but i had reactions to one or the other of them and tried the combo...

have you signed up for medicare part d plan? is kaiser an option for you?

and iknow there are plans out there for people not insured or are not not cover for prescriptions...my mother and father have done that as well...so they didn't have to eat up their life savings....

and as far as being illegal...i know here in california...for a fact...if you get caught..let's say pulled over by the police and you tell them you are on meds...for instance tylenol#3, they can write you up a ticket and put you in jail if you do not have your prescription bottle w/label in your name...

they can site you for driving under an illicit drug....

why do i know this...well my husband at the time was pulled over for 1, speeding over 95 mmiles, 2, officer smelt booze on him and his eyes were watery and red (he was having allergies truly at the time). but it may have been his blood alcohol at the time as well...then he blew into the bap...he said they waited for hours after to make him do it...and it was .08...busted...he working at a bar...at the time...his back was hurting so one of the co-worker's gave him some you know i thinkit was vicodin....so he blurts out to the cops i do not know why it is this high ba....maybe it was the vicodin...so they wrote him up just on his word...

well he got thrown in jail...i left his ass there...i had to go to work and take a our son to hockey and live a normal life....i was only worried about the new vechile that he was driving that was in my name...as well as his...but we bought it for me for real estate...

inways...i luckily for him found his prescrition bottle at home...same make and label in his name...that got tossed out in the courts, but the dui stuck...plus he didn't renew his concealed weapons permit...police said he didn't have it locked up....but he claims it was plus he had an asp w/o the permit..that was considered a felony w/o the permit...

anyways had a good attorney and dropped it down to the dui...

he figured he could just get away with it...he is an untreated bipolar person w/add and personality disorder...

we are now divorce....

so my advice is maybe get another dr...or ask to be weaned off the effexor...i heard it can be a bear w/withdrawals...

there are all types of meds out there...wellbutrin alone may help w/the libido thing...not sure what else...

but we have to remember we are not getting any younger darnit..

jodie
  8. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Rockgor, Just be careful if you try to wean off Effexor, I have heard that E. and Paxil are the hardest to get off of. Wow, I can't believe how expensive they are. I thought it took seven years before the generic comes out. It seems like E. has been around longer than that.

Laura
  9. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

So I understand the pain of high cost of medications and Dr.'s. I just wanted to make sure you understand what I said before about getting medications from friends. Yes it is illegal to share medications with anyone. Believe me, my husband is a criminal defense attorney and we have many clients who have gotten charged for having medications that are not theirs.

TxSongBird