QUESTION REGARDING BACK PAIN....???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tes, Jun 10, 2003.

1. tes

tes New Member

Hi everyone. Hope everyone is doing well. I have written many times regarding waistline pain and rib pain. I just wanted to know if anyone suffers from back pain and has no medical findings to contribute to the pain. I have been having back pain qutie frequently lately and it hurts bad. The pain hurts midway and up towards my neck. If anyone suffers with pain in this area with no physical findings, please let me know what you do to ease the pain. I am thinking that maybe my rib pain has something to do with it. I have been in such a bad flare with my ribs and waistline, I have barely slept in 3 weeks. Thanks for listening and hope for some input. God bless....Tes
  2. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi Tes~~Your rib pain could certainly penetrate to your back especially if the rib pain has been going on for a long time. When I have bronchitis, pneumonia, or plursy I will get back pain. Endometriosis will cause back pain.

However, regular x-rays will not pick up what an MRI can. Three years ago, I was diagnosed with advanced degenerative disc disease with a shattered vertebrae and multiple back problems that had not been picked up on regular x-rays. Took an MRI to identify my back pain. Also bad indigestion or gall bladder problems among other organ problems can radiate to back pain. And an upper GI can pinpoint that.

I also have cluster nerve damage and rheumatoid arthritis in my neck/shoulder area that radiates down my upper back, and it took an MRI to diagnose that.

Hope you get some help soon. I have FM/CFS, IBS, severe asthma, osteoarthritis, psoriatic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and degenerative disc disease with nerve damage and multiple back problems, and I live with back pain every moment of my life, and I know how miserable it is. If it weren't for the pain meds, I wouldn't be able to work or function at all.

In the beginning of my back problems, I thought it was just the FM cause I was so used to aching every day, and I let it go on too long until I woke up one morning and could not get out of bed. I had had regular x-rays which picked up 'some arthritis' so I let it go way too long until the degenerative disc disease was so advanced I had more problems than I bargained for. It took an MRI to diagnose it.

If your back problems persist, I would encourage you to do whatever it takes to find out what the problem is. Living with a bad back is extremely painful and debilitating.

Best Wishes to you, and I hope you discover what the problem is. Blessings, Carol....
  3. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Perhaps a good chiropractor can do a thorough examination and evaluation of your spine and ribs to see if any subluxations are contributing to your pain?

Chiropractors know a heck of a lot more about the back and rib joints than most GP' s do.

But, it's important to find a good one who will spend time with you and not just take you into the treatment room, crack a couple of joints and send you on your way in 5 minutes or less...

Hope you find some info that helps.

Jen F
  4. onesmileymyley

onesmileymyley New Member

It sure has been a very long time and I am sorry or that but I have been off for some time. I have been so busy it is not even funny. All the kids are well and I found out that I am going to have a little baby girl on September 23.
    Anyway, in regards to your question I to have the very bad back pain. I still have the rib pain as well as the waist pain but I have founf that my upper back and neck have been a killer latly and I have found no relief. I do see the chrio but still not much help. My upper back pain is on my spine but worse on the sides of the upper ribs near my boobs.