Question regarding chest pain/ rib pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsBrandywine, May 6, 2006.

1. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

Started having chest pain yesterday am.. have been trying to exercise more..I was lowcarbing but changed over to the weight watchers plan a few wks ago.
    Question is.. Have you ever went to the Er for chest pain and what was your results on your blood work regarding muscle inflammation?
    Ended up going by ambulance to the Er last night to make a long story short..They did an ekg here.. one in the ambulance and two at the hospital..
    Blood work come back ok regarding my heart and the Ekg's too.. but he said my one blood work was 256 .. which he said was really high and it says there is alot of inflammation.. Had rib cage pain.. radiating up under the right breast then moved around to the back and upper shoulder blades.. then last night it started feeling like it was squeezing in the center of my chest.. The one woman from the Fire Dept when they get called for something like this.. (I guess..)She pressed on my chest and omg.. what pain.. but anyways..
    I just wondered if anyone else has ever had it like this and .. what did your blood work show on it?
    AFter having oxygen.. it seemed to help some .. was having shortness of breath.. off and on all day yesterday too.. last night it got really bad.. I thought on my way home last night.. that maybe it was muscle spasms? was having like my upper stomach feel like it was quivering.. scary stuff going on. or pretty darn strange!..
    any i deas from anyone .. what could have been going on?
    The Dr there just said he thought it could have been the fibro.. Would hate to have something else going on and hes just using that to pacify me!..
    also.. Have had stress done in Feb.. that showed some mitral valve prolapse...
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

This is an inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs. I've had it a couple of times and yes, it hurts like the dickens!

At the time I didn't know I had FM, but it seems to me that it would go hand in hand with everything else.

I was given pain meds and an anti-inflammitant. Took a while but it did get better.

Hope you feel better soon.

God Bless.
  3. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

Not certain on which one to try?
    most all hurt my stomach..
  4. janieb

janieb New Member

The pain in my chest was really the first time I went in for FMS. Of course, they treated me for lots of other things, including depression, but later I was told that there is a muscle in the upper back that runs down and around the bottom of the ribs to the front. This muscle, they tell me, squeezes the lungs, and it feels like a heart problem. That was about 15 years ago. So far, that only starts when the Fibro gets really bad.

Something to think about.
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I think I might have it but my pain is not as much in my chest as in my back.

The pain around my ribs is intense - deep ache. But it is around my back more than in my chest.

Could it be something different?

I do have shortness of breath and tightness in my chest. At times I feel like someone is pressing down on my chest.

What do you think???

Sofi
  6. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

7. Butterfly23

Butterfly23 New Member

Hi there, I know the pain. I have been to the ER twice, it hurts so bad. They gave me pain shots till I could see my regular doctor. I ended up with the trigger point shots in my chest and in my back. Pain free for about a month till agitated by smoke, not enough proper sleep due to a vacation and allergies to pets. The problem with trigger point shots, I gained 10 pounds and its hard to lose, started walking and once again gets aggravated by raising breathing. Have you any other advice? Pain is unbearable.
  8. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

I went to see my own Dr.. or nurse practioner, that is..yesterday.
    she is having me get more blood work monday or a day where Im not having pain? ( or when it isnt so severe or not in a major flare up .. just to see what my cpk is.. regarding the enzymes.. The Er Dr said it was twice the Norm so.. she wants to see what it is doing on a ( normal) day..
    Plus she suggested having an ultrasound on my gall bladder.. ( never knew chest pain could stem from that but I was told, yeah it could it is possible.
    Thanks for the replies!
    Will try to give you an update after the fact..
    Hope you are all faring well with the rain here in the Northeast.. Its been a bummer for sure with that going on.. Seems like that flares me up..BIg time!
  9. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

For this bit of information!.. I believe anything is possible with this stuff..
    possbily the myofacial pain.. starts or can be the beginning of it flaring up the fibro, Do you think?
  10. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

I kinda wonder after reading on the lupus board too.. possibly I could have that? I do have alot of the symptoms.. Will try to post on that board also to see or do a search on lupus..
    Thank you all for your help and suggetions..
    Hugs to you all
    Deb