Question regarding rheumatoid arthritis....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dolsgirl, Sep 11, 2002.

1. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I have had pain in my left index finger for at least 6 weeks. I cannot bend the finger as I can with my right index finger. I looked RA up on the net and it said that it usually will effect the matching joint. It's painful 24/7. I also have had bilat knee pain for years & have had the rheumatoid screening done a couple of times, and it was negative. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks in advance for any help. dolsgirl
  2. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I have had pain in my left index finger for at least 6 weeks. I cannot bend the finger as I can with my right index finger. I looked RA up on the net and it said that it usually will effect the matching joint. It's painful 24/7. I also have had bilat knee pain for years & have had the rheumatoid screening done a couple of times, and it was negative. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks in advance for any help. dolsgirl
  3. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

If I missed welcoming you, welcome now. Are you seeing a rheumy & what does he/she say about this? If you haven't got it checked yet, it's prob. a good idea. If you get a chance, fill out your profile & include what you have...fms or cfids.

I just recently (after doing what you did & asked board for advice) went to my rheumy for pretty severe pain in my upper thigh. I was pretty sure it was from the fms, but as members were quick to point out, not everything is from fms..mine turned out to be bursitis, which is treated differently than my fms, so glad I went. Fms to my knowledge does not cause a stiffening/loss of movement...there's many forms of arthritis besides RA, & there may very well be something you can take to relieve it.

Take care, and let us know how you make out. Michele
  4. mellow

mellow New Member

Hi dolsgirl

I have RA. It doesn't always show up in blood tests initially. My blood tests kept coming back normal for a long time. Usually the signs are redness, swelling, joint pain and stiffness. Make sure you keep seeing your GP or a
    Rheumatologist.

Good luck
    Mellow
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

...the finger might be a "trigger finger". This is pretty common in folks with FMS or arthritis and a cortisone shot in the palm of the hand right under the finger may fix it right up for you. I have had this many, many times, but always in my ring fingers. Check with your Rheumy. Good luck,
    Klutzo
  6. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I've actually belonged to this board for quite awhile. I also have come in under dolsgirl92, as I couldn't for the longest time get in, couldn't remember the ole password, I'm in under both names.
    That area on my forearm that one of you described really hurts when I push on it, but will keep it up. I bruise easily, so it might not look good by the morning. I also have unbelievable stiffness in my hip joints for years too. My index finger pain is increasing, but I cannot go to anyone presently as I don't have insurance and my husband and I just moved to the northwest and our funds are pretty tight until we both secure jobs. I can't afford to go to the doctor until I get a job with insurance. So, it'll have to wait.
    Why do the tests for RA come back negative, when in fact you could have it? I don't get that. It seems as though, you have it or you don't. Same problem with the thyroid tests for patients with FMS. You can't count on them.
    Thanks for all your help. dolsgirl
  7. Cricket_23

Cricket_23 New Member

I had almost the same thing. Except is was my left middle finger and I couldn't straighten it. It was really strange not being able to move it. I am pretty sure I have RA, but my doc said that it might be too early to tell. Well, I don't think it is normal not to be able to move your finger and for your elbow to swell up and be red and warm. Doctors I tell ya! Anyways, I probably wasn't much help, but I just thought I would share.

Cricket:)
  8. blu-butterfly

blu-butterfly New Member

Hello Dol, I have RA and usually if it affects your fingers it focuses on the individual joints of a finger. But, you never know. Rheumatoid Arthritis is also an auto-immune disease. I have done a lot of research and if you have one auto-immune illness you often have another. Lucky US! And RA doesn't always show up in blood tests. I'm RF+ but that's not always the case. It often means you might have come by it genetically or will have it more severely. I hope you don't have RA it's the pits! If you have any questions I can help with please let ME know.