Question regarding Self-Control and Eating - please read!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BxGirl, Aug 17, 2005.

1. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

Okay, I'm no bargain when it comes to self-control and eating. I KNOW I have to eat small meals and not overeat. But at night, when I'm sitting at the computer or watching TV, all I think of is eating.

I make trip after trip to the kitchen. I KNOW I'm not supposed to do this. I KNOW I have to lose weight.

I'm 30 lbs. overweight. I'm pre-diabetic. How can I make myself stop? Why do I have to keep shoving food in my mouth at night? I'm fine during the day. I don't overeat. I eat sensibly.

I need advice from you all! Thank you to all my wonderful friens here!!!!

BxGirl (who wants to be healthy and thin again)
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have lost 15 pounds but it has taken me since May to do it. Don't go on too much fat free food because it will leave you starved. I learned that myself. My main problems are trying to go to bed at night, all I think about is food.

That is my worst time. I have conquered the TV eating by drinking a lot of iced water and we eat dinner late, around 7 PM to 7:30 PM. Sometimes it is 8 PM when we eat dinner.

I have had diabetes for almost 29 years and I have gastroparesis and neuropathy in my feet from not taking care of myself until 1989.

It's just hard to stop certain eating habits. I think it is almost better to stop than to substitute another low cal food like pickles or pretzels, etc.

Also I eat a large salad with cherry tomatoes and romaine lettuce with fat free 1000 island dressing. This does help to fill me up a bit to keep me from eating too much at dinner. I'm trying to eat a lot of veggies and cut the buns and carbs down some.

Some people have been able to lose weight on other type of diets like the South Beach Diet, but I can't go on that one because of my diabetes. I need to get some carbs in my diet and can't eat too much fiber because of the gastroparesis (stomach paralysis due to diabetes).

You don't have that much to lose. I know it seems a lot to you, but I have like 70 pounds or so to lose. It has been really hard for me.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I could have written this same post, BxGirl!!!!

Only ... I'm more than 30 lbs. overweight and I am already a diabetic on two oral diabetic meds and insulin!

I also like to snack while I'm on the computer (here--on this board!) or while watch TV in the evening. I KNOW what is right and wrong as far as eating goes, I just can't seem to control myself! I have absolutely NO willpower.

I'm A Sad Case,
    Janet
  4. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

sometimes too, like today I just got the sugar craving back, I ate s'mores breakfast bars - the entire pkg, a bunch of cheetos, and a huge cookie, I got the craving after talking to someone about my mother problems, so I guess I was trying to comfort myself. I'm going to a class at my church next month to try and learn how to stop compulsive behavior.
    Sue
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

twisting your rubber arm to eat at night. I've had to eat at night, or else for many years. I'm taking a very firm hand against candida lately. No cruel candida diets anymore, nope not again, declared mutiny on them.

But a few things have helped alot lately. Can't say enough about chromium supplements, esp. ChromeMate, it's bound to niacin for extra absorption. You need it for sugar metabolism, to combat yeast overgrowth, etc. Makes a big difference, I eat less overall on them. the other thing that made a surprising difference lately is getting back on enzymes , again. This time I not only take them w/ meals, but between for inflammation control and bloodthinning. I was worried the in between ones wuld make me more hungry, which probiotics do, but they do the opposite.

jeanne
  6. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I once went to a dietician because of my IBS and she said I am a compulsive eater, which I am. Luckily I'm not overweight I have a fast metabolism but sometimes thoughts of food rule my mind and it is all I can think about until I eat something, and while I'm eating I think about what I can eat next.

What helps me is simply to not have delicious tempting things in the house, if I want cookies or chocolate or whatever unhealthy calorie loaded thing I have to drive to the shop to get it.
    I find that if it is there in front of me, I WILL eat it, but if there's nothing to eat well then, I don't.

Eating in front of the computer or tv is a habit, like smoking after eating or morning coffee.
    Sometimes I also eat out of boredom, if you are tempted by food in your house try drinking lots of water, that also helps.

Phoebe
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I want to be a nighttime eater myself, I know how that goes. But one thing that often works for me is to drink a BIG glass of water, like Stormy suggested. That often fills me up & makes me not as likely to go to the cupboard.

Hugs,
    PPam
  8. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

It helps me to brush my teeth after dinner. I remember reading that a long time ago.

Also, if I feel those hunger cravings I'll chew sugarless gum (which probably isn't that good for me).

Some evenings I'll make jello and my husband doctors it up with strawberries, cool whip and nuts.

Other nights I'll make the fat-free, sugar-free puddings and put a little cool whip on top. I don't make it very often because of all the ingredients in it that are probably not good for us.

Sandy
  9. rt6176

rt6176 New Member

But I do keep my weight under control.

I do this by not buying anything I am determined not to eat.

If I do buy it, Once its in the house, I'll binge eat.

I only look at the things I'm going to buy when I'm at the store.

My treats are Ice Tea and popcorn, almonds and pistachio nuts.

I also agree with the water and salt issues from previous posts.

My food intake: 1/3 fats, 1/3 protein, 1/3 complex carbs.

I hope you find something that works for you.

RJay
  10. TNUtammy

TNUtammy New Member

I used to have the same problem with being hungry, except it was all the time! I'm talking my stomach was physically growling when I knew it shouldnt be...talk about frustrating. One thing that helps me is to just ignore it as long as I can, then eat a decent meal. I got pretty good at that thru the day, but I would still go insane at night. If you can, try going to bed before the late night munchies hit...I started doing that (more to be on a regular schedule than anything) and noticed most nights I could go to bed without a trip to the kitchen.
  11. Frustratedandtired

Frustratedandtired New Member

I am on the candida diet and it is not cruel to me at all. I am not hungry. I usually have to make myself eat. I don't crave sugary snacks all the time and my digestive symptoms have all but disappeared. No more gurgling stomach all day and no more acid reflux. I eat a lot of good food and since I've been on it, I find that I don't obsess about food like I did before. But if the candida is too extreme for your taste, I have found in the past when I was on Atkins the cravings also went away. It is hard getting started but well worth it. Been on it a little over a week and lost 9 pounds already!
  12. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

I have to eat something late at night before I go to bed because I get horrible stomach cramps and pangs if I don't. I eat an apple with natural peanut butter. I guess I try to eat something healthy if I am going to eat late at night and then limit myself to that.

I also drink a lot of water.

Nicole
  13. Lurlasgirl

Lurlasgirl New Member

Sometimes people get hungry because they aren't eating enough of the things their bodies need ... like protein and complex carbohydrates.

Vegetables are really good for us, but we also need to make sure we're getting enough protein - and sometimes - especially for people with chronic illness - we need more protein than we think.

When I eat enough protein at a meal(which about your body weight weight in pounds divided by 6) and a whole grain carb - like brown rice, for instance, along with my vegetables, I usually don't get hungry for about 4 or 5 hours.

A lack of protein and carbs isn't ALWAYS the answer -- but a lot of times getting enough of both helps.

[This Message was Edited on 08/18/2005]
  14. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Could we start a miny support group where we would log on before eating?
  15. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I always eat too much at night time.I relax ..have a few red wines...AND EAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can do celery and cottage cheese...... or tuna/ham.......but this past week it has been ...bread/bicuits/cheese/sausage rolls/..more bread!!!!
    Which I do not usually have in the house cos I know I will eat them!!!!
    I will have to get myself sorted cos I have been going to Slimming World and did lose 13 llbs in 5 weeks which I was so proud of.....but I have not been able to go last few weeks so I have really fallen off the wagon!Big Time!

I am not a big eater during the day so maybe I think I need to make up at night time????

I was thinking that maybe cos I was craving carbs that I was lacking in something but I do not know what??

Rena

16. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I found that eating at night was the worst, in trying to lose weight.

Good Earth makes a very good tea called Good Earth Original Sweet & Spicy Herb Tea. It's naturally sweet (no sugar added) and tastes wonderful, like a dessert, so it helps with any sugar cravings I may have after dinner. And if I get really hungry, I'll add a handful of almonds.

I had to get it clear in my mind that I wanted to lose weight, and the tea and almonds help me with any late night food cravings.

The tea comes in two forms, with and without caffeine, and I get it without, as I can't drink caffeine at night.

Mary
  17. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

Wow! What a great bunch of responses! I am just like you - I do pretty well during the day, but as soon as supper is over - wham! Munch, munch, munch.

I'm like a prowler, going into the fridge to see what's there. Right now I'm drinking my black decaff coffee. I think I'll drink more water after that.

I'm going to a wedding the beginning of October and want to lose at least 10 lbs. before then. I go to Curves 3 times a week. I haven't lost anything!

My family doctor's office called me today and told me I have an appt. with an Endocrinologist on November 2nd. I wish it was sooner, but she's all booked up. I'm grateful I got in at all.

I also have an appt. in October to see my holistic doctor. It'll be interesting to see what he says. Of course they may say opposite things. But if I do have a medical problem I want to know.

Summer is so bad. I think about ice cream and such. I don't eat low-fat things. For breakfast I have a hard-boiled egg. For snack a piece of string cheese. For lunch a salad of greens, tomatoes and some feta cheese sprinkled on top. And all day at work I nurse my decaff cappuccino with skim milk. It's after supper when the trouble starts.

I'm going to come back here every day and read these posts - maybe that'll encourage me!!!!

Love,
    BxGirl
  18. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

We have spoken before of this problem. Night eating was my biggest obstacle to overcome. It seemed hopeless until I went on the South Beach diet. Once all of the sugar was removed from my diet my night binging stopped.
    I did not give up sweets, just sugar. I use Splenda to make desserts now.
    Now because most carbs turn right into sugar once you eat them cutting carbs is wise. Do not totally eliminate them from your diet, just choose whole grains and keep the portions small.
    This diet will particularly help those on the cusp of diabetes. The more "adulterated" the food you eat is the faster it turns to sugar in your body. So eating white bread produces as much insulen (sp)release in your body as cake. So eating white pasta and white rice has the same damaging effects as candy does on your body.
    ALWAYS keep non sugar sweets in the refridge. I keep sugar free jello and jello chocolate pudding in the fridge. When I get a bad craving it is always there, sin free! I also make the SB faux chocolate mousse, low fat ricotta cheese, co-coa powder, vanilla extract and Splenda. After you eat this dessert you are FULL unlike high carb desserts.
    I agree that low fat foods are very dangerous. The fat is substituted with sugar which will turn back into fat in your bod. You need the "good" fats in your diet. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. These fats give you a feeling of fullness and satisfy much better than carbs. You need these fats for proper brain function so don't cut them from your diet.
    Olive oil is the only fat I use to cook with. It is loaded with good fats and digested completely in the body. Go splurge on some great first pressed olive oil-yum!
    I know I have suggested South Beach to you before. There are no special foods to buy and you are never hungery on the diet. You are never deprived. The first 2 weeks on SB I lost 15 lbs. I cheated a little also! I started adopting my bad habits back so today I went back to stage one of the diet. Just after one day with no sugar my cravings have gone way down.
    I know you have it in you to change your habits! It is cliche but.. If I can do it so can you!!
    I was at the bottom, fat and unhappy. Unable to control my night eating. Day time was easy for me also but the night time I would eat anything with sugar and carbs. I got a high feeling from eating these foods, like I had smoked something. The cravings were so hard to resist.
    South Beach is changing my life. And when I slip up I can go right back on it, no harm done. We all need a little room to cheat now and again.
    If you have not picked up the book or visited the web site please do. The first part of the book describes how and why the diet works. The middle has the 3 phases of the diet and lastly many, many menue ideas.
    My children are now on the diet, they do not miss the white carbs at all which surprised me. Whole wheat pasta, crackers and bread are just fine for them. I feel I am lessening their chances of becoming diabetic and obese.

The road to wellness may not be as rocky as you think. The hardest thing is starting. Pick a date to begin your dietary changes. Put it on your calender. Before the start date clean out your pantry.( My sister-in-law received 5 bags full of food from me ) If the bad foods are gone you can't eat them and I guess you probally wont go out at midnight to get a candy bar but eat what is in house. Get your pantry and fridge ready for your start date. Stock up on veggies and protien. Lots of low fat cheese and lean meats. Stock up on sugar free dessert options to satisfy the sweet tooth.
    Please, please, please look over the South Beach diet. Even if you decide it is not the plan for you the book is still full of useful information based on nutrition not fads. I have a degree in Culinary Arts of which nutrition is a big part. Having this background I found the SB diet to be sound in it's science and not at all harmful to the body.
    This diet has been a god send for me. I was so unsure when I started but was amazed at the results just after 2 weeks.
    You can give it a try, just 2 little weeks, thats all! After those 2 weeks when you start to see results your courage and strength will return. That is what helped me the most, seeing the results so soon after starting. By day 5 I had lost 8 lbs without starving, I actually ate more than I usually do! When you see the weight begin to drop and realize the plan is working every day becomes easier. I actually ran to the scales I hid from for so many years.
    Change is just around the corner Hon, I will be very happy to help you and anyone else that would like to start changing their lives. Please do not fear that you can't change, you can, and you deserve to feel better about yourself. You deserve to be healthier and strong, you deserve to happy with yourself and your choices.
    Just one small step........
    Hope and hugs!!!!!!!!!!
    A
  19. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

THANK YOU!!!! I am trying to do the South Beach. I eat an egg for breakfast and nosh on low-fat string cheese. Protein for dinner with vegetables. I am going to try harder.....I am going to try harder......I promise I will!!!! I'll carry the book with me.

YOU ARE WONDERFUL!!!!