Question......Stiff Hands?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fern, Jun 12, 2003.

1. fern

fern New Member

I have a question. I have had FMS for some years and when I was originally DX with the Fibro they had ruled out arthritis,but over the last months my hands have been getting progressively more and more stiff. Does anyone else experience this or is it time to go back to the Dr. for more testing?

Thanks.

fern
  2. swred5

swred5 New Member

Mine is more pronounced in the mornings when I wake up, and usually towards the last third of the day before I go to bed. I use my fingers a lot at work, on the computer and on a scanning gun, so I notice it a lot. Massage with lotion and a nice warm hand wash always seems to help me a bit, but that is the best that I have been able to find. Hopefully it isn't arthritis, that stuff is terrible!!
  3. Lanie

Lanie New Member

I do have tendonitis & Reynauds syndrome though. I notice when the weather is lousy, rain and humidity, it gets bad.

It wouldn't hurt to mention it on your next visit, but it is likely part of the FM.
    Good luck,
    Lanie
  4. fern

fern New Member

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like we have similar jobs. I too use a computer and scanner. My hands have been so sore and stiff lately and it is making my job move a bit slow. So do you have FMS also?

fern

5. fern

fern New Member

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good idea.

fern
  6. jka

jka New Member

i wake up with stiff joints every morning.they get some what better after i've been up for awhile.but they are stiff during the day too.my rhumy told me it was fibro,not arthritis.he took erays and there is no inflammation.

kathy c
  7. mstg

mstg New Member

I wake up with stiff hands, legs and feet, it hurts so bad when my feet hit the floor. My Mom has always been this way and as much as I hate to admit it, I use to think she was being over expressive...Now Im getting my payback...She has been in pain for years and I am so ashamed that I didnt take it seriously...the same way others treat us, we look fine so they think we are not in pain...Again I am so ASHAMED...If the people that think we are not in real pain could experience what we go through they would be ashamed also...
  8. fern

fern New Member

Kathy

Thanks so much for the reply. I was tested for athritis long ago but I have very stiff hands and knees. It seems that my hands have gotten worse the last few months and I have been getting concerned.
    I apprecitate the feed back. It's nice to know that it is still within the description.

fern
  9. fern

fern New Member

Thanks for the reply. I remember my Mother complaining over the years with mysterious problems. Now that I am older and know that I have the same strange problems but that it has a name. I look back and I am quite sure that she must have had FMS too. She has since passed away but I am convinced she was part of the "FMily".
    I too feel the pain of the floor at first contact in the morning. The rhumey that DX me with FMS couldn't belive how limber I am for the amount of pain that I have and this is what brought him to consider his DX initally. He ran blood work and found it to be correct.
    Thank you for the feed back. It always helps to know that you are not alone.

fern
  10. vieanna

vieanna New Member

I also have FMS, have had for some years now and I too have problems with stiff hands, I have had for some time now.
  11. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I also have tightness and pain in my hands as well as other places. It bothers me the most when I have to write anything with a pen and paper. Typing gets to me after awhile too. ANd I definatly do not have arthritis. It is definatly the FMS/

Kathryn
  12. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

I too am experiencing stiffness in my hands and fingers.
    Just started being a problem since April. My rheumy prescribed mobic...said it was osteo...I really dont think so. Mobic did not help, nor did the vioxx and celexa he had
    prescribed for the FMS in general during the first 4 months
    I went to him. It is worse in the morning and then again at
    night. You should definitely let your dr. know. With this DD we never can be sure if its one more aspect of it or a new ailment. Good luck. Pam
  13. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Problem, but since I started taking magnesium, the swollen hands and feet in the morning is almost gone completely. In fact, my feet are fine, but my hands are still a little swollen in the am, but they don't hurt anymore.

Shalom, Shirl

14. fern

fern New Member

Thanks for the message. I appreciate all the feedback that I can get. I see that you are new to the board so let me say "Welcome" to you.

fern
  15. fern

fern New Member

Thanks to you also. Boy it sounds like this is more common that I thought. I guess that this aspect of the illness frightens me a great deal because I am an artist. I am beginning to having trouble with the paper and pen too and this is bad because I have always done a lot of pen and ink drawings.
    Thank you for your time and opinion.

fern
  16. fern

fern New Member

Hi Pammy. Thanks for the advice. I will see my Dr. if this keeps getting worse. I guess that I have been scared a bit and have been looking for a bit a reassurance. I am hoping it is something that I already know that I have and am used to working with instead of something knew.
    I will look into it though.

Thanks

fern
  17. fern

fern New Member

It is good to hear from you. I too take magnesium and it helps me a great deal with many symptoms. Mostly the cognitive ones that I have had. I am still having the growing stiffness though.
    Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks you for the reply.

fern
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My rheumy took x-rays and told me I have OA in my hands. Dr. St. Amand says that if one has FMS long enough, one will develop OA and it is permanent. Since being on the Guai, however, the stiffness and swelling in my hands is pretty much gone. I wrote to Claudia, his nurse, and she said the same thing happened to her. Seems the OA can't be cured, but the Guai helps stop the swelling, soreness, and stiffness.

Love, Mikie
  19. Shirl

Shirl New Member

What has helped so much with the morning stiffness, and during the day too is a 'mattress heating pad'. I got mine from Penny's catalog.

I turn it on for the night sometimes (it cuts off automatically in 10 hours), its a soothing gentle heat, not hot like a heating pad (it also has ten heating adjustments on the dial) .

At times I will just turn it on an hour or so before I get out of the bed. It has made a major difference in the stiffness and the pain for me.

I wanted to ask you, are you the same 'Fern' that was on the board when I first came here over two years ago? I do remember a 'Fern' as it is my favorite plant! Just curious...............

Shalom, Shirl

20. BethM

BethM New Member

Not that I'm happy that you-all have this problem, but it's good to hear of others who do. I have FMS, also carpal tunnel and tendinitis in both hands/wrists. The past month or so, my hands have been very stiff in the mornings, and old childhood injuries to my finger joints have begun to flare, with the joints sticking and being painful. The middle finger of my right hand has been triggering. Also, my feet feel like stiff blocks of wood first thing in the morning, also started in the past month or so. Hmmmmm. Fibro? Osteo? I have an appointment with my NP on Thursday, and will see what she has to say. But it's a relief to know I'm in such good company, and not alone with this new symptom.

I will try the magnesium tonight, see if it helps.

Peace,
    Beth.