Question to all

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FMsolider, Nov 13, 2005.

1. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

So, I had mentioned to my Grandma ( who also has fibro) that I think I have to break down and get a cane. She said I was too young and exgerating my pain. Yeahhhhh...anyway, I'd like to know who has a cane out there and what age you started using it?
  2. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

hi fm soldier. I have a cane. I am 50. If you looked at me you would think Im in my 30's. Im very young looking. I dont always need the cane. I started using it 5 years ago. Mostly to go up stairs. I have really improved this year so I havent needed it. I loaned it to my friend who is only in her early 40's. I also have a friend who is in her 30's and uses a cane. So there is no age limit
    hugs, poodlemum
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I need to use a cane and I look like I'm ?????? What does it matter - 60 looking 30, who cares?

It will help with your balance and your pain and there will be days you wont need to use it at all.

I'm sorry because you really are young to deal with all of this, I'm sure you are not exaggerating your pain at all. Your grandma is probably really frightened of what's happening to you. My old Mum is like that, if she denies something is happening then she thinks it will go away.

You are a beautiful looking girl and a cane is not going to make you look less beautiful.

love
    Rosie
  4. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I do not use one right now - I am 33 - but I did use one for about 8 months when I was 26 after an auto accident. I used it because I needed it, it helped me get around. I also had a walker for a couple of weeks - I told the doctor that if he did not give the orders for a walker I would do things w/o it so he gave the orders.

Do not be embarrassed or feel ashamed - it is not like you are looking for sympathy, it is a quality of life issue and I will use anything to keep moving!

Good luck! Thinking of you!

Kelly
  5. lin21

lin21 New Member

four months after simple knee surgery I was diagnosed with fibro. I was 42, now I'm 46 and still use the cane the doctor gave me, it's for my own protection. People are idiots, one day while standing still waiting for a friend to park a woman walked right into me and I almost fell. I broke three ribs falling once and that's not going to happen again. As much as I hate it, it's for my own well being. If someone walks into me or worse I will get hurt. Even walking with the cane people still walk on top of me.
    Don't listen to anyone, you know how you feel and it's not giving in. I can't stand for more than 10 minutes before my leg gets weak.
    I will be trading the cane for a pretty waking stick but I'm not ashamed anymore.
    Good luck,
    Z
    lIN
  6. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I've been lucky in that I've just recently had to get a cane because I look like a drunk, wooden, staggering fool when I walk. I'll be 55 in January. I can't believe I'm that old! Just the other day I was 18.

Oh, I've also been wearing 1 lb. weights on each ankle to help keep me upright, and I'm really having a problem with stairs.

abbylee
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2005]
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hubby bought me one at Walmart just for the voting for the president last time. I just used it to lean on, but it really didn't help my bad back.

I haven't used it since. I have it in the closet. It's there if I need it, but leaning on it caused my upper back/shoulders/neck to hurt worse. What I needed was a wheel chair at the time.

Am on a diet trying to lose weight, but that is slow going.

Hugs,
    Faye
    PS I am 55 now.
  8. sues1

sues1 New Member

I can not use one as my arms, shoulders and wrists are too weak and hurt as bad as the rest of me.

But If I had one, and too bad I can not use one......I would get a fancy one or decorate a plain one and make it a fun accessory!

we could start a new trend......even the teenagers would want one.......LOL.

We could even paint them purple for Fibro and we would know each other by our colors!

Fun Thought...............Susan
  9. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Hi, I have used a cane for very short distances, & a wheelchair for occasional trips out since I was 40; most of the time I have to lie down. I think you should print these answers out for your grandma!
  10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I would listen to your body, and if you think a cane would help you, then do what is best for you not what others think you should do.

I got a scooter a year ago and it was a difficult decision. I guess it was like finally facing the fact that unless I got a scooter, my husband and I could no longer go places that require a lot of walking, especially on hard surfaces like concrete. I have come to think of it as a means for me to get out. Without it, I would have less freedom and be more homebound.

Ellen
  11. LakeErie

LakeErie New Member

I have the coolest cane and walking stick collection. Almost everyone who comes over just pulls one out of the holder and looks at it and try it out.

By my late 40s I needed to move to a quad cane. I found They can be cool too.

I need one abut 98% of the time and even then I need to ware boots or an ankle brace to keep me centered. I still fall 4 or 5 times a week, stairs are a joy.
  12. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Thanks, guys!
  13. dobrydy

dobrydy New Member

My son was 10 when he became ill. He used wheelchair for 2 years and cane afterwards. He was extremely embarrased, and so we only went outside in the dark at night. Go figure. If she says that you are not that ill, it means that SHE is not that ill to understand what are you going through.
  14. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I've been lucky in that I've just recently started using a cane. I'll be 55 in January (though physically I'll be 110 and mentally probably around 2). LOL

abbylee

15. JLH

JLH New Member

I first obtained a cane when I tore some cartlidge in my knee and was waiting for my surgery. When I was out with my husband and I got it out of the car to take with me, he would tell me that I didn't really need it--to leave it in the car! He was totalled embarrassed by it!!

I got the cane back out and started using it full-time, when I go outside someplace, about 2-3 years ago. I started using it for my back. I have soooo many back problems (see my bio) that I would feel like I was going to faint from the back pain, so I wanted to have something to lean on.

If I didn't have all the back pain, I do not think I would be using one for the fibro/cfs.

If I go someplace like a mall, I have to use my wheelchair because the back pain will now only allow me to stand up about 5-10 minutes before I have to sit and rest.

Like the others have already said, age does not play a part in when you use a cane. You use a cane WHEN YOU HAVE TO!! Just ignore old granny's comments about it!!!!!

And .... what a beautiful pic in your bio!!!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  16. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Beautiful Pic? Wow - that is so sweet!Well at least I have something going for me.... (jk.) Thankyou.

[ advertisement ]