Question to Bird Lover's about African Greys NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fairydust39, Aug 29, 2005.

1. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Hi Bird Lovers!! I have a question for you all! I found a Timneh Male--2yrs. old that talks but a little nippy! I also found a Female 5 yrs. old that is very sweet and good deposition but she don't talk! They said she used to say a few words but quit. Now the big question is---which one is the best one for me to buy? I have little experience with birds but I know that several of you know all about birds and raise them.They both cost the same amout of money. WHAT TO DO PLEASE HELP!!
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I myself would go with the male.In all species of birds its the male that is the vocal one.
    As far as being nippy it is important to teach the step up command . Take your pointer finger go close to his belly and say step up he should get on your finger if he has Lent this.Its normally the first command they learn.
    Do not pull away fast if he nips at you. Stay put do not give a treat after he nips . He will think its OK . After a few weeks he should stop and you will have a wonderful pet.
    Mine sits at my PC with me and watches TV.His name is Boyd and when I come in the room he says Pretty Boyd. I love it he also says Momma and Oh Ooh.
    I also have finches and Canaries . The finches both pairs have just lay ed eggs. Cant wait for the clutches to hatch.
    Good Luck hope this helps.
    Sue
    PS when there molting they talk less.I would say its like not feeling good to us and we need not to be bothered.[This Message was Edited on 08/29/2005]
  3. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Greys never shut up!! They copy everything they hear and I mean everything! If you want any peace and quiet in your life get the female that is not talking. She will be talking soon enough. Vet her and make sure she is healthy before you buy her. Greys aren't cheap.Can you get a price break on the female because she doesn't talk. Most folks buy greys because they talk so I would think this bird should bring a lower price. They cages are very spendy.
    That's what I'd do:)
    Dee50
  4. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Thanks for the quick response!! I was worried about the female b/c she is 5 yrs. old and doesn't talk! Yes I'd like

one that talks but that's not the only reason for getting a Timneh. I think maybe the male might be a better talker but she says he's a closet talker--waits until everyone leaves

the room before he says anything. He is 3 yrs. younger than the female but they say that anyone can handle her--even if she has never seen them before.

Should I ask them to do the Vet thing or should I pay for the checkup? The male has a Micro-chip and could be found if he was lost--not that I'd let him outside.I'm really confused and don't want to wast my money b/c they really aren't cheap! What to Do???
    Thanks Shirley
  5. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

6. suzetal

suzetal New Member

For the vet check. They should have had an aviary vet check them before they put them up for sale.
    I would also make sure they have bands on and are registered. If they do not they were from a non registered breeder.Or were found and turned in. You do not want one with out the band.
    You should also ask if they were hand fed.
    Mine was and makes for a very nice pet.Also why they are for sale at an old age.Most birds are 4 to 12 months old when they sell.Did someone not want them?
    Again good luck . Hope this helps you.
    Sue
  7. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I have 2 Parrotletts (male & female) as well as a male cockatiel. My female Parrotlett which is 5 years now is a very attention demanding suck! If she see's you in the room she'll do her excited little dance until someone picks her up. If no one is around, she'll squalk until someone comes to her. She is VERY more so bonded with humans then she is with the male of her species. She does talk, but only when she is comfortable with who is listening. Again, another 'closet talker'. At times when I've been in the hospital for a few days, it has taken her about a week to not be upset with me after I'm home and start talking again. She is definately very needy, and is the type of bird that cannot be left alone or kept in a cage all day.

My male however, is the COMPLETE opposite. He does what he wants, when he wants and where he wants. There's just no stopping that boy. He spends alot of time exploring, and we've had to do a full house search for him many of times, and we always find him in the most bizarre places for a bird. (even a couple of times under the couch!) As well, unlike the female - he talks alot!

He says 'good boy' 'pretty boy' 'i'm a monkey' 'gimme kiss' 'you're so cute' 'you're so silly' 'big bird!' (and he's only 2 ounces and about 3 inches high) 'big baby' 'baby boy' 'UH-OH!' and a bunch of others. He mimics the sound of water dripping, the sound of kisses, the sound of the microwave and the sound of my cell phone. And he's only 8 months old!

It's really hard to say whether a male or female would be better for you, because despite the gender specific traits there's always a unique personality in there too.

I would definately recommend looking up info on the species before you make the decision though. Unfortunately African Greys aren't the ideal bird for a first time owner, and can be alot more work then people expect. I have the smallest species of Parrots there is - and even they are quite a handful!

In all likelyhood though, you might have a better chance of the female talking then you would getting the male to stop nipping. The bite from the beak of an African Grey isn't something you want to experience!

As well, take into consideration the cost of owning an African Grey. Not only is it the upfront cost - but as well general living expenses. For optimum health all birds require nutrient enriched & fresh foods - those can be quite expensive for larger birds. As well, having the power in the beak that they do - they will chew through toys alot more quickly.

When it comes down to it though - it's impossible to say which one will be more worth the dollar value. I've had alot of birds come and go through my home from people who purchased them without knowing anything about them. Unfortunately one of the most common reasons for a Grey to stop talking is a traumatic experience. Sometimes their environment isn't taken care of, or the bird itself is negelcted. Usually once they're out of the situation that is causing that type of behaviour and are comfortable again; they will regain the urge to talk.

Goodluck! & I hope that you find a life long feathered friend with whichever one you choose!
  8. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Lots of folks give up greys after a few years You may be able to find one by looking in the newspaper or running your own add for one. Peoples lifes change and sometimes they can't keep the greys. Some times some one in the household is allergic to the bird. Maybe you can get a grey and a nice cage (you can pay $800 for a cage easy) from a private party for a good price and remember these bird live 60 years or more! And make sure you want to deal with the diet needs of a grey. And please no they are very messy, daily clean up!
    Dee50
  9. heartinheaven

heartinheaven New Member

about twenty five years ago. I bought him when I lived in Texas. When I got him he only spoke spanish. After about a year he was a bi-lingual bird. He loved me but would bite my wife. I asked the previous owner if he had that problem, and he said ya, why do you think I got rid of him, he does not like women, only men (his wife made him sell Pedro). I have been told that they, like some other animals, will either like males or females, and you can't change that. Might be a question to ask the owner.

Best of Luck and blessings

H Michael
  10. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I learned about birds the hard way. A Yellow Nape-36 years old-he knew every trick in the book. To make a long story short he loved my husband and hated me! Wow! This was my first bird-this bird would chase me around the house. Poop on me I mean aiming through the cage to hit me! Swear and cuss at me..a woman was the reason he lost the love of his life (the napes first owner for 25 years). The man got married and the yellow nape didn't like her so he sold him to a breeder. He was given to me after he killed two female yellow napes. Poor old guy,rough life. Not a good first bird but 2nd on the list of talkers right after the greys. He hated me sooo. :-(
    Dee50
  11. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Yes these birds were checked and the people (both families) have other birds.Women who owned the male has MS and can't care for all the birds.The women with the female also has

other birds that talk but this Grey still don't talk. No behavior problems at all .Don't know if either was hand feed but will find out.

The female will let anyone hold her man or women,never bites,or gives them any problems. But she don't talk at all and I fear she never will,at 5 yrs. old.I think both birds
    are well taken care of. They both have aviaries for their

birds.I think the female would be a much nicer bird b/c they can all handle her ,she's not a feather plucker or biter. Maybe I could teach her to talk--when she's the only bird around and gets more attention which the owner can't give her. The male bites and is real jealous of all the

other birds. If she plays with the other birds and comes to him--he bites her.He's by far the best talker though.Yes I know they are messy b/c I had a Tiel for a long time. He talked but not much. Not sure if either would adapt to living in our home but wouldn't want to get a baby to hand feed either.Never did that and may samehow hurt it. I will ask if the male likes men or women.

I thank you all for the great advise and it's wonderful to have you kind folks to help me with your own experiences.

Sorry Dee50 that your 1st experience was with that spiteful Yellow Nape.

Thank you Sue,Nancy,Alyndra,Michael.and Dee50 for all your help. I would be glad to hear anything else that may help with the decision. It is so good to have all you Bird Lovers here to help me.

I will post and let you know what decision I make!!

Hugs Shirley