QUESTION TO KLUTZO Re: Whey

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I read your reply about putting whey powder into a drink. I have whey powder at home. I'd like to know if you can take whey in pill form. Thanks.

Annette2

P.S. - What exactly does whey do and why is it good for you?
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

3. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

Hello There -

I read an article, posted here, possibly in the Library. It explains that Undenatured Whey is a remedy that boosts our immune system. It's apparently been cited in medical books too as a good approach.

I would suggest putting the word "Whey" into the Search box at the top of the page and seeing about previous posts. Also go to the "Store" and look at the product that Pro Health sells. They may have an explanation with it.

I know from personal use of Soy and Whey Protein Powder for my breakfast each morning, that it gives me a good steady amount of protein in my system in the morning, when I feel least like eating. Am guessing that the Amino Acids in protein are building blocks to our immune system.

Hope this helps.

Take Good Care, ............. Jillian
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

ImmunPlex whey sold here is recommended by Dr. Cheney. It helps build the immune system and "program" it to work more effectively. The colostrum is another good product which also helps the immune system. If you go to the store here and search for the products, there is always info on each one to help you understand how it works.

I do not believe we can heal without building our immune systems back up. I mix the powder in milk or juice or I mix it with cottage cheese with a little cream, SomerSweet, and cinnamon. It tastes a little like a pudding that way. I call it my curds 'n whey :)

Love, Mikie
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

The minimun amt. of Whey you need to take is so bulky that pills would not work. You'd need about 25 large pills to get one daily dose.
    I take it because it has L-Tyrosine (which raises epinephrine and norepinephrine) and it has L-Tryptophan (which raises serotonin, and is not available as an individual supplement anymore).
    If it helps my immune system too, that's an added bonus.
    Klutzo
  6. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Thank you for your replies. I have a whey powder here at home. Right now I'm trying desperately to lose weight. I don't want to add extra calories now. Actually, I don't see any difference in how I feel when I take the whey as opposed to not taking it. All this stuff mixes me up so much!

Annette
  7. PaulMark

PaulMark New Member

Jim clement of total health temple maintenance in salt lake who has studied for l0 yrs the etiology of fibro and some CFS sold me some time ago 2 FIR heaters that produce a low heat infra red sauna type effect, his emphasis is on increasing ATP generation he uses Sweet dairy whey for low sodium and as precursor to gluatthionie vs the immocals’s etc. used by my dr. read on his theory is that our sick bodies without ATP production are probably not breakign down the HI protein undenatured milk whey protein, I KNOW lately for the last 3 months when I take Whey protein isolates my upper arms hurt real bad, CHENEY told me I wasn’t breaking down protein

Jim cites CHENey’s summary of gluthathiane deficinency in CFS paul cheney , M.D., Ph.D. and then Jim makes his responses based on his research of Cheney, Bernard jensen well know CA nutriontist phd

Mitochochondrial dysfunction, reducing ATP generation, is linked to glutathione deficiency by the Gibbs free energy equation. [The energy produced by metabolism of glucose is contained in the chemical bonds of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which transfers it to where it can be used.] The Gibbs free energy equation says that the energy available to do work in the cell is equivalent to the glutathione concentration. [Glutathione is a peptide composed of three amino acids, cysteine, glutamate, and glycine. Like proteins, peptides are composed of amino acids, but peptides are smaller than proteins. In addition to its role in energy production, glutathione is the most abundant and most important anti-oxidant produced by the body and is a powerful detoxifier.] If there's a reduced energy available to do work, there will always be an equivalent reduction in glutathione.
    (Note: The text between the square brackets [ ] was not part of the oral presentation given by Dr. Cheney. I assume that it was added by the transcriber for clarification purposes. I disagree with the transcriber's comment that glutathione has a role in energy production.)
    -----------

My interpretation of the above is that glutathione production is either directly or indirectly affected by the production of ATP.

This is validated by the information on Glutathione - Synthesis at the "Virtual Free Radical School. The outline in this presentation describes, step-by-step, the processes involved in building glutathione. The two enzymes involved are both ATP-dependent. Therefore, a reduction in ATP could have a direct negative affect on the production of glutathione.

Since Dr. Cheney makes reference to the Gibbs free energy equation, which is affected by temperature, it may also be that a lower body temperature, due to reduced ATP production, may reduce the enzyme activation rate, reducing glutathione production.

I was confused when Dr. Cheney suggested taking "isolated whey protein" products such as ImmuPlus to increase the production of glutathione. The presented information suggests that if ATP is increased then glutathione production would increase. Isolated whey proteins, from what I have found, do not influence production of ATP any more than other foods that a person may eat. The whey protein products are good sources for the amino acids that are necessary to build glutathione, but it was not brought out in the presentation that deficiencies of these particular amino acids were contributing factors for the low glutathione levels.

Sweet dairy whey provides these same proteins, only at a lower concentration.

In a biochemistry textbook we find the following:

The reduced form of glutathione, a tripeptide with a free sulfhydryl group, serves as a sulfhydryl buffer that maintains the cysteine residues of hemoglobin and other red-cell proteins in the reduced state. The ratio of the reduced form of glutathione (GSH) to the oxidized form (GSSG) is normally about 500. The reduced form also plays a role in detoxification by reacting with hydrogen peroxide and organic peroxides.

Reduced glutathione appears to be essential for maintaining normal red-cell structure and for keeping hemoglobin in the ferrous state. Cells with a lowered level of reduced glutathione are more susceptible to hemolysis for reasons that are not yet understood.
    "Biochemistry, 2nd edition" by Lubert Stryer, pg 344.

I wonder if this increased susceptibility to hemolysis, due to low glutathione levels, may be partly responsible for the low red blood cell mass in CFS/FMS that Drs. Bell and Streeten report.

note: FROM PAUL MORE CONFUSING THE ISSUE IS D ADAMO'S BLOOD TYPE DIET FOR TYPE O'S SAYS NO WHEY OR DAIRY OF ANY KIND

SO I DON'T HAVE THE ANSWERS I'M LOST AND CONFUSED AS MANY OF YOU, WHICH DIET, WHICH PROTOCAL
    CHINESE HERBS ABOUT WHICH I JUST POSTED FOR LIVER HEALTH AND GETTING BODY IN BALANCE
    SHOULD TYPE O'S AVOID WHEY WHEN WE KNOW WE NEED SOME TYPE OF GLUTATHIONE WHETHER PRE CURSORS OR IMMUNOPLEX ETC

PAUL MARK
    -----
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I don't agree with the Blood Type Diet. It is far too simplistic. I think the Metabolic Typing theory is much more correct, and there is actual data in the book to back it up. Try the webstie of Dr. Joseph Mercola for more info, or better yet, get The Metabolic Typing Diet book and read it.
    I am not taking Whey to increase Glutathione, so a lot of what you said is new to me. Remember, my dx is FMS not CFS, so I am not sure how much of it applies to me.
    I am taking Whey as a second best source to increase Serotonin, Epinephrine and Norepinephrine, because the things I really need to take (5-HTP and L-tyrosine) make me sick. From what I've read, that means I really, really need them badly, and should just start at a teensy dose, but I must wait until I see my doctor again to discuss this. The Whey is not strong enough, and I am continuing to get worse. If something is not done to raise my serotonin soon, I am afraid I may end up divorced, or I may even hurt someone. The urge to kill some of our inconsiderate, c(rap) blasting neighbors is becoming overwhelming. It is so noisy on weekends here, that I literally shake with fury all weekend long. In my reading, I have come across several references to the way a lot of noise lowers your neurotransmitter levels. So, if something happens, here is the evidence that will condemn me in print! It has long been known that very low serotonin levels are found in almost all violent criminals.
    I really don't know enough to comment on what you said. I feel I must be absorbing protein OK, since my stool testing showed no problems in digesting it, and I have a lot more energy when I eat high protein. I have to force myself to eat it though. The only protein foods I really like are nuts and dairy products.
    It is my understanding that the cheapest and easiest way to increase Glutathione is to take vitamin C, which the body can convert to Glutathione.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Klutzo
  9. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Klutzo, I just bought Vanilla Whey powder and will give it a try tomorrow morning! Thanks!

Annette2