Question to Madwolf re: Neurontin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Madwolf, do you prescribe Neurontin to your patients? Do you think it's safe? I take 600 mg. at bedtime for RLS and to help me sleep. I've heard mixed reviews of this med - what do you think? Thanks in advance!

Annette2
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

What is the difference between the two? Will Gabatril make you feel less sleepy? Thanks.
  3. rlnia

rlnia New Member

This is the 1st time I've been on this site and I've been responding to others. I was DX with fibromyalgia 2 years ago and it has been the worst pain ever. I also gained weight, 10 lbs a month, until I have gained 60 extra lbs and don't know how to get rid of the weight. I have thought back to my Dr.'s, Meds., etc. and I have a feeling that I was on neurontin, for something else, but, went to see a ortho Dr. and she was upset to see me on this, as she uses it for other things. I have a feeling that I got fibromyalgia, after she took me off the medication. What do you know about this med. Could this be possible. The Dr.'s I see don't see this, and I am looking for any and all info on fibromyalgia. And medications that could of caused this. I am in terrible pain at my flair ups and nothing helps. Please respond. Or Annette2, if you find out anything, please let me know.
  4. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

As far as I know, I've never heard of a medication causing fibromyalgia. No one knows yet what exactly causes FMS - there are a lot of theories. I believe you are born with a predisposition to it, and some sort of stress brings it out. It can be a car accident, an illness, emotional or physical stress. I think Neurontin was originally used as a medication for seizures. A lot of doctors are now prescribing it for other things. I take it for Restless Leg Syndrome at night. It also helps me sleep. You can search here on this Board to look at other posts regarding Neurontin.

Annette2
  5. brouke

brouke New Member

annette2,

did you see the special on 60 min. regarding neurotin?

please do more research before continuing.
    pfizer company is under a huge law suit for pushing this drug, calling it "the everything drug."
    drug reps were told to push it at any cost. they were even offering the doctors money for incentive.

i was on it last year when my headache first began....it never touched the pain. i was taking over 1000mg a day.

perhaps looking up the lawsuit on pfizer will give you more info.

don't mean to cause disruption here, i just think we should seriously research all medication.

peace~brouke