Question to those who are gainfully employed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lillieblake, Aug 6, 2008.

1. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

Even though I have applied for disability from the state and feds, and also for help with rehabilitation, I really, really, really would prefer a job.

Somedays are great and I can do anything. Somedays I am totally in bed.

How do you handle bad days with your employers?

Thanks, Lillie
  2. canton2235

canton2235 New Member

I'M VERY BLESSED, I HAVE A JOB THAT ALLOWS ME TO STAY HOME OR GO HOME DURING THE DAY WHEN I DO NOT FEEL WELL. THEY ARE VERY UNDERSTANDING. I HAVE COLLECTED ENOUGH SICK TIME IN THE PAST TAKE MONTHS OFF IF I NEED TO. I HAVE BEEN EMPLOYEED HERE FOR 5 YEARS AND UNTIL NOVEMBER OF 07 HAVE NEVER TAKEN A SICK DAY. KNOW HOWEVER I USE THEM WHEN I REALLY NEED TO. LIKE YESTERDAY.
  3. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I'm lucky because even as a kid I continued on when sick (I'd have a 105 temp and still go to school) - so I just work when I'm sick.

But since most people cannot do this, try to find a job with a generous plan for sick days. And try to find a job where you are not a critical part of the organization - so they won't mind too much when you are out sick.

If you work a job for a while and they see that you are a good employee with a bad disease, they may also be far more lenient toward sick time.
  4. byoungusa

byoungusa New Member

I chose to work 2nd shift, it gives me several hours to get ready for work, usually my best hours are in the afternoon. I work 2-10:30pm I get home about 11:30 which gives me enough time to get some sleep even if its a can't sleep nite. I have no children at home so all I focus on is working and resting.
    Its not all roses, I had used up all my pto (paid time off) by the middle of July. My Co. does not have sick time or vacation per se, just 120 hrs. pto but they will let you use it even an hour or two at a time if you want to. I have been in a bad flare this summer and we work 6 days and sometimes 7 days a week so I have been on a med. leave last 2 wks, go back Monday. I just hope to keep making it the best I can, I have to have my job, you never know when employers good will turn very sour, I've seen it before.
    I always am very honest with the boss, I don't make excuses,I never over state the situation or get emotional. Its hard but their in business and pity never garners respect, I have found that I get alot farther having their respect than ever cracking and allowing pity. They know my health situation, I know their business situation. As long as I'm valuable I'll be there when they feel that I'm not, I'll be gone.
    OH, I forgot, I work for an electronic manu.I am a surface mount machine operator we make specialty circuit bds.
  5. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

I work full time. Ihave been with the same employer since 1998. I use FMLA for the days that I cannot function. It is the only thing that protects my job.

T
  6. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

My employer granted my disability request to change my hours to 9:30-6:30 and work from home every Wednesday. I have only a few hours of PTO left, however now that I'm in my second year with the company, I earn 7 hours every pay period, so I know I have a day every two weeks if I just can't get myself in the office.

As long as I continue to produce, I know I'm ok. Today I'm working at home but really need a nap, so I may try to lay down and have someone cover for me. It is tough since I work on the phones. But my co-workers have been wonderful to me. Just knowing I can sleep a little later on Wednesday morning AND not have to leave the house at all helps me manage the other 4 days. I also work every available holiday that I am physical able to work in order to earn comp time. If they would ever request volunteers on Saturday for whatever reason, I would volunteer for that too.

However, I have some days where I know without a doubt that the only thing that gets me out the door is the grace of God. Before I was dx'd a few months ago, I went through one of the worst spells I've had in a long time. From Christmas until probably late April, I was suffering daily from bone-crunching fatigue. My mom was alternating between complaining that I was sleeping my life away, yelling at me to get out of bed, OR telling me I was deeply miserable and begging me to admit my depression. She alone nearly drove me to insanity *L*.

However, the last few months have been manageable. I have noticed an increase in the pain level but I have meds to help that. My energy has been a bit higher although I still have my fluish days. I just pray my company remains understanding and that I can remain at least the level I am at now.