Question: Valtrex for HHV-6?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by liis, Oct 13, 2012.

1. liis

liis Member

hiya everyone,

i've seen old posts regarding this and wondered if there was any updated info. i've tested HHV-6+, but negative for CMV, EBV - at the time when hey were still able to get blood from me, anyways.

amy yasko suggested i start an antiviral. most of her peeps use valtrex. except i see no proof that valtrex helps with HHV-6. maybe i've other viruses by now - i'm bedridden 24/7 for almost a decade (2 years in hospital). god knows what i've got, and i can't get tested anymore.

should i give the valtrex a try? valcyte is $1,600/month and not in my budget, though it seems more appropriate.

any suggestions wouldbe very welcome!

thank you.

2. liis

liis Member

thanks, but i'm pretty sure that's for US patients only; i tried years ago for gabapentin this way and that's what i was told. i live in canada. the valtrex is only $100/month here (compard to $1600 for valcyte), so i'm really wondering about this one.

i also don't think my dr would give me valcyte anyways b/c she'd want to check me with routine blood tests - which i can't do.

i've taken 6 OLE/day since 1998, along with IMFs, but yasko still wants me to take the valtrex.[This Message was Edited on 10/13/2012]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/13/2012]
  3. IanH

IanH Active Member

Some info here
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And ask whether one of their transfer factors targets HHV-6. I know it's very difficult to drive into latency with AV's. TF's seem to work better. Good luck.

Love, Mikie