Question @ Vioxx

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by coyote, Jun 20, 2003.

1. coyote

coyote New Member

Does anyone here take Vioxx?
    I know it is an anti-inflammatory and shouldn't work on FM.
    I was given a free sample by a new rheumy, and it seemed to help a little.
    Any other positive or other responses?
    I do have some osteo-arthr. also, but it seemed to help with the overall aching.
  2. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hi Coyote,

I tried it about two years ago. For me, it didn't work and caused breathing problems and also swelling.
    It has caused others to experience heart type
    problems. I was taken off of it and switched to celebrex. My dr. said many of his patients had problems with it.
    My brother also took it and was switched to
    celebrex as well for same reasons.

Lynn
  3. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    I'm told I have FMS but I also have a back injury.
    Either way it seems to help me with all over pain, especially when the pain is very bad. It doesn't always work, but then I don't always take it either :)
    I have taken it for about 2 years.
    I was also told by a doctor that it causes some people problems, side-effects and that scared me, but he said if it hasn't started to do so for you yet, it won't, so don't worry about it.
    I am very sensitive to meds., so I was kind of surprised.
    I think once or twice at first I noticed my heart pounding for a short period- 10 minutes-nothing extreme either, but it hasn't ever since.
    You could always try taking half the dose and see how you feel. That's what I do with any med. cause I'm so paranoid about taking them :)
    Ziggy
    PS And it is the only anti-inflammatory that doesn't bother my stomach-which includes everything from Celebrex to asprin.[This Message was Edited on 06/20/2003]
  4. Bobbette

Bobbette Guest

Coyote I have tried vioxx for about 6 months. Everything was fine then the real bad intestinal pains started. I went to the e.r. and they chocked it up to IBS. Well this was still going on I payed attention to what was happening and sure enough after taking vioxx I started with the pain again and felt pain exactly where the pill was going all the way through. I stopped the vioxx told the Dr.I will never take that again. He gave me Baxtra and that seems to relieve the pain some what. Have not found anything that gets rid of all the pain. That would be some miracle huh? Hope you have better results than I did and remember we are all different. Good luck
  5. marecee58

marecee58 New Member

My rhuemey put me on Vioxx too and it seemed to help more when I very first started taking it. After the bloodwork results came back positive for FMS and CFS and also showed that I had been exposed to parvovirus and had pnemonia (which came as a big surprise) he put me on 3mg prednisone 4 days a week. Somedays the prednisone really helps alot and other days not as much; although on the days I don't take it, for the most part I do feel a BIG difference.
    When the flare-ups are really intense it seems like nothing helps.
  6. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

I tried Vioxx several years ago. It seemed to work for awhile, then not anymore. I started on Ultram, then had Celebrex added following my car accident. It upset my stomach, so my neurologist switched me to bextra. I couldn't really say it did that much, so my rheumy tried Mobic (samples). I didn't notice a difference, so I went back to bextra since I already had a prescription for it. I don't want to stop it to see if it is doing something. I always have pain, but I don't want it to get worse again either so I'll just stuck with it. All these drugs, except for the Ultram, are in the same category--Cox2 inhibitors, and they can cause fluid retention and possibly gastrointestinal bleeding as with other NSAIDS (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.