QUESTION: What To Look For in a B12 Sublingual Vitamin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tmprincess, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

I'd like to start taking a B12 Sublingual Vitamin, but have been a little overwhelmed by what to get.

First i noticed the different potency's; 500 mcg, 1000 mcg, 3000 mcg... How much do we need?

Then i noticed there are different types. B12 as Cyanocobalamin, B12 as Methylcobalamin, and B12 as Cobalamin Concentrate. Is one considered better than the other... or the best?

Also, are there "other ingredients" to look for or avoid?

And what excatly does Vegetarian Formula mean?

Sorry for 101 questions.... ANY info. is welcome!!!

TM~
    [This Message was Edited on 04/03/2006]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

---up--------

3. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

for ANY answers....?
  4. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

methyl is the way to go...I was taking 5000mcg a day for a couple of months. No side effects. B12 generally has known toxic dose. I've read research where they gave people 120,000mcg doses with no problems. But I've read that beyond 5000mcg there is no extra health benefit.

5. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

~Ek & Spiritsky~

Thank you for you replies! This has been most helpful!

Spiritsky~ You said you only took Methyl a couple of months... may i ask why you stopped, what kind of results you got?

Ek~ What kind of results have you seen also since being on a B12 and what is the difference in receiving them as an injection?

Thanks!
    TM~
  6. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I just took them at that dose for a couple of months. Just to give myself a boost. I didn't really notice any improvement in my health but I took it because I was borderline with my cobolamine levels in my hair analysis.

I also was injecting once a week with cynao-cobalmine 1000mcg and still do occasionally just in case I need it. But I'll probably be stopping that when my current supply runs out. I found that injecting would take away the burning and numbness sensations I would get in my legs, but I havn't had those symptoms for a while now.

And, I still take about 300mcg daily via a vitamin pill.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/03/2006]
  7. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Thanks for the feedback!.... thats good to know about it helping with the burning and numbness in the legs, as i have that problem too!

TM~
  8. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

I found the following Info. off the sites store... hope it is okay to cut and paste for all those interested;

Methylcobalamin is the only form of vitamin B12 found in the brain. The liver is unable to convert the common form of B12, cyanocobalamin, into an ample supply of methylcobalamin. Methylcobalamin supports a healthy brain and spinal cord. Pro Health's Neuro B-12 sublingual delivery system ensures optimal absorption and maximum benefits.

Protecting Cognitive Function According to Dr. Paul Cheney, vitamin B12 is a potent detoxifier of the brain. The supplementation of oral methylcobalamin, the bioactive form of B12, may support cognitive function.

Improving Sleep Patterns

A study published in the journal Neuropharmacology showed that methylcobalamin reduced the amount of time subjects slept; improved sleep quality and helped subjects awake feeling refreshed, with better alertness and concentration. Part of this effect was due to melatonin management during the daytime, because methylcobalamin supplementation reduces drowsiness by apparently decreasing daytime melatonin levels.

In general, supplementation with methylcobalamin is an effective way to provide the bioactive form of B12 throughout your entire body for maximum benefits.

Methylcobalamin is the only form of Vitamin B-12 found in the brain. Sublingual tablets offer superior absorption and less breakdown as they bypass the digestive process.

9. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

~Eileen~

I appreciate your input!
    Looks like sublinqual methyl is the way to go!!!

I'll keep you posted!

TM~
  10. jane32

jane32 New Member

are you suppose to take this at night for sleep or in the morning for energy?

Has is helped you yet?

i think I will order from this site.
  11. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

cyanocobalamin injections. 1cc every week or two. Seems to help a little, so I might go to every week. I give the shots to myself...it's much cheaper that way and my insurance covers it as it is a prescription.

Hope it helps you!

God Bless.
  12. jane32

jane32 New Member

which sublingual dose should I take?
  13. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

My Naturopath recommends 5mg. if you are doing the Sub lingual.

Kathy.
  14. richa3csi

richa3csi New Member

Hi all ..im just a little confused. I get a b12 injection monthly because my body doesnt absorb b12 as it should , im just wondering why everyone is using b12 here and what the different types are ? ?
  15. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I use the Pro Health Neuro B-12 1 mg. Methylcobalamin. I have had to stop temporarily because I got a bad case of GERD (reflux) and am waiting for that erosive problem to heal and then I'll start again on my sublingual B-12 and the CoQ10.

I like the Pro Health Store because the shipping is good and quick and they offer a good variety of different types of supplements.

I think Pro Health Store offers quality supplements and I trust them which is the main thing.

Hugs,
    Faye
  16. mainerose

mainerose New Member

i get a b-12 injection, i can tell you that the injection is 1,200 iu ,and it seems to help for a few days, with the muscle aches that we suffer from.
  17. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

~Jane~

I take it in the A.M. as it is helping to combat fatigue.

I've only been on it about 15 days now, so hard to see any dramatic changes.... but i do feel a little more alert and have some what more concentration!

I always start with a lower dose when starting something new... just to see how i will react to something. So far i have done well on 1 mg, and may try upping my dose of these before i try ordering the 5mg tablets.

TM~
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They are supposed to get past the blood/brain barrier. ProHealth has the highest QA standards and I trust their products.

Love, Mikie