Questions about Alzheimers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TxChick21, Aug 7, 2005.

1. TxChick21

TxChick21 New Member

Hi, I'm Chrissy, I'm 21 and I live in Texas. My grandma has had Alzheimers since around 1997 or 1998. We began to notice symptoms not long after my grandfather died. Anyways, tonight my mom called and told me that Mimi (my grandma) had another stroke. She's had I think 3 in the past 2 or 3 years. I called the hospital she's at and they were able to tell me she's in a regular room and they're keeping her for observation. She lives at an assisted living home so I'm sure she's in capable hands. Besides the strokes she's lost almost all memories of who my mom, my sisters and I are as well as my uncle. She still vividly remembers my grandfather though as well as events from when she was younger. When we see her she asks who we are, how old we are, what school we go to etc and when we tell her she seems to know us but then she asks the same questions again about 10 minutes later. Can someone PLEASE tell me what I should make of all this? The dr's don't tell my mom much which I believe is due to the fact that she doesn't want to know because she's in denial. I however want to be realistic when looking at this. It hurts me to see her like this because she's the woman who watched me while my mom was at work from the time I was a baby until I was about 12. She is the one who taught me to play piano. She is the one who would try to teach me oragami and how to make paper snowflakes. I just want to know how much time I have left with her because I live 5 hours away and I don't want the next time I see her to be at her funeral. I'm scared to death that I won't see her again and I know I'd regret that forever. Any insight on how progressed her Alzheimers seems to be would be very helpful. Thank you.

~Chrissy