Questions about Dilaudid

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by StephieBee, Feb 1, 2007.

1. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I am currently taking Vicodin 10/325 mg. and it is just not helping the pain. I have the same problem with Percocet also.

I was on Dilaudid during a hospital stay and it seemed to work very well for me.

The only other narcotic to ever take my pain away was the Fentanyl Duragesic Patch. I was on 25 mcg for a period of about a year. Seeing that I am only 26, I dont expect the doctors to prescribe the patches for me again.

I was wondering if any of you have had experiences with Dilaudid and if you wouldnt mind sharing them with me.

I have heard that they do not cause the itching that the Vicodin and Percocet do. I have also heard that they help with migranes, which is something that i constantly struggle with.

Any info that you could share with me would be greatly appreciated.

Hugs,
    Stephanie
    [This Message was Edited on 02/01/2007]
  2. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Hi Stephanie,

I don't know how severe your pain is, but you aren't on very strong meds. Dillaudid would be a very strong jump & I doubt most doctors will make that leap unless you absolutely have to.

I was on Morphine IR & ER before I got bumped up to something better stronger, longer lasting & didnt give me the creeps that Morphine sometimes did.

I am thinking you need to talk to your doc. Dillaudid is what my hubby was on after having a level 4 spinal fusion surgery which was the most horrible pain ever & they did not keep him on that for long.

Good luck, talk to your doc.

fun
  3. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

The jury's still out for me. I was on Tramadol and that stopped working. I was on vicodin 10/325 and that made me itch so badly, I had large red scratch marks all over my body. I then went to Darvon which was useless. I then went to Percocet, it helped, not as well as the vics, but it helped. Unfortunately I also experienced the itching as well. So now I'm on Dilaudid 1 4mg tab every four hours. One tab does nothing for my pain. I have to take 2-3 for them even to take the edge off. However, by the end of the day, that old itching returns. I'm beginning to wonder if I just will have to make a choice between itching or pain relief. So far nothing's helped as much as the Tramadol when it was first prescribed to me and the Vicodin (even though I was taking like 3-4 tabs at a time).

I have an appt. with the doctor in a couple of weeks and I think we will have yet another discussion about meds. Not sure the Dilaudid is doing the trick.

There's my experience. Hope that helps some. Good luck to you.

Eric
  4. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Thanks for the responses.

Eric,

I noticed in a previous post that you also see Dr. Pachas in Boston. He is my rheumy too.

I was curious as to how the Vicodin compared to the Dilaudid for you....well besides the itching of course.

Was it as effective as the Vicodin or less?

Im so confused and Im waiting for a call back from him.

I dont know if he would be hesitant to give it to me due to my age??? Im not sure how old you are, butI hope I can find something that he would be willing to give me that would work.

At this point, I dont care about dependance....I just want some relief.

Stephanie
  5. jesuslovesu

jesuslovesu New Member

I was given Dilaudid while in the hospital with a lumbar drain and spinal pressure headaches then one week later with i was given it again severe pancreatitis,open gallbladder surgery,bile duct repair and the i became addicted very quickly like within 3 days i was on a baseline pump and then i could pump so much every 15 minutes or so. when i started to feel like i wanted to be more awake since it made me sleep all of the time i stopped pumping and was just getting the baseline i started having hallucinations oh my gosh it was terrible my pain was so bad i needed pain meds but i was too scared to take anything and i begged them to take the baseline out and then the hallucinations got even worse me and my husband didn't sleep for 16 hours waiting for this to wear off i felt like i was in a place where everybody was after me and i was having terrible nightmares but i was awake i have never taken drugs before but i am guessing i can see why drug addicts keep taking more drugs to keep from going through withdrawals it was one of the worst things i have ever been through. the dr told me that was one the strongest pain meds there was. i hope this doesn't scare you to death just wanted to share
    hugs
    susie
  6. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

Stephanie - I've been on just about every pain med out there :) I'm getting a pain pump implanted soon, which will either contain hydromorphone (Dilaudid) or Fentanyl.

Couple of questions: when you were in the hospital - did you get IV Dilaudid? IV drugs often work different (and better!) than oral meds. For instance, IV morphine works for me...but oral morphine barely works better for me than Tylenol.

Dilaudid is a very good pain reliever - but it is one of the stronger meds. I believe it's said to be about 8x stronger than morphine sulfate. It CAN cause itching, etc in some people.

Usually - after Vicoden/Percocet/etc and BEFORE trying Dilaudid/Fentanyl - most doctors will try a long-lasting morphine sulfate (such as MS Contin, Avinza, Kadian, etc) or long-lasting Oxycontin. These meds can last anywhere from 4 to 6 hours (MS Contin) to 24 hours (Avinza). In addition to these meds, doctors will usually give a medicine for breakthrough pain (like Morphine IR, OxyIR...or even Dilaudid can be given for breakthrough pain).

So, Dilaudid does work well for many people, but it does have side-effects and it is one of the stronger meds. I don't know if a pain doc would do the jump between Vicoden to Dilaudid without trying the meds I mentioned above.

I would discuss this with your doctor and maybe ask to try one of the long-lasting meds...and maybe Dilaudid for the occasional "severe" breakthrough pain?

I hope you find something that controls your pain better...Let us know how you do!! --Tina
  7. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I have been taking Hydrocodone for my fibro pain' OSTEOARTHITIS, PERIPHILAL NEUROPATHY AND FOR ALL MY CRUMBLING BONES. I had a total knee replacement on Feb.27,2006. They gave me Dillaudid tHIS WAS THE FIRST TIME i HAD TRIED IT.They also gave me another pain drug when I came home. So, I was supposed to both of these pills every 4 hrs.I didn't need both at one time so I just switched them around,

However Hydrocodone couldn't touch the pain that those pills did . they were VerY effective for my knee pain.they offered me more twice, but i told them that the hydrocodone would handle it.

But sincerely, they kept me so pain free that I barly remember coming home from the hosp.

I never did have much pain like I thought I would after the surgury. ((((cathugs)))))