Questions about FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Alibama, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Alibama

Alibama New Member

I am new to the board and would like to ask a question. I have had lower back pain for the last 15 years and have taken tramadol for most of that time. For the last several months I ahve been having a lot of pain in my shoulders and neck, sometimes it is so bad I dont want to move. My doctor thinks that I have Fibromyalgia. I also have pain in my knee and arms sometimes but nothing like my neck is now. He put me on Cymbalta and that is not working. I asked that we do an MRI to make sure I dont have a pinched nerve or something but he says insurance wont approve it unless I do Pyhsical therpay first????? Does this sound right to you guys. He is now taking me of the cymbalta and putting me on Lyrica.
  2. misskoji

misskoji Member

Pain in my neck and shoulders is my main symptom/complaint with Fibro. And from what I've read and gathered, it's a very common symptom among those who suffer this DD.
    Also, a lot of us have TMJ, further adding to neck and shoulder pain.

Insurance-ugh. Unfortunately, that does sound normal. It doesn't sound right at all, in the literal sense anyway. But this is the way they work. They are trying to make you do the least expensive thing first before allowing you a more expensive test/treatment like an MRI.

Did your doc give you a definative diagnosis of Fibromyagia? Did he do the tender point test and all the other batteries of "rule out" tests before diagnosing you? If he did diagnose you and you do indeed have Fibro, you should consider yourself a little bit lucky. It takes many of us years to get a diagnosis. Then again, I am sorry to hear that you have this DD because anyone is far from lucky to have it.

Lyrica has worked wonders for many, and failed miserably for others. If your pain is not relieved by tramadol (and I tend to believe it's not, that stuff is worthless to many of us), please make it a point to be assertive to your doc about this. You deserve relief, and that is what these drugs are for, people like us in chronic pain.

I hope you find your answers soon and get some relief.