Questions about generic meds ???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnneTheresa, Jun 27, 2011.

1. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

After much experience with several of the generic forms of the medication topomax I've determined that one particular generic (Mylan) works best for me. Generic brands are supposed to contain the same ingredients but the difference in the way I respond to this particular brand, compared to the other generics, is *not* in my imagination. The other generic brands leave me feeling sluggish & tired and this particular generic brand leaves me with a much better overall energy.

Has anyone had a similar experience with brand names and/or generic medications? Can anyone hazard a guess as to why one brand would work so differently than another? Has anyone successfully negotiated with their doctor, pharmacist and/or insurance company to provide the preferred generic brand rather than whatever the pharmacy has on hand?

Any insight or ideas you could provide related to this issue would be greatly appreciated.

God bless,

Anne Theresa

2. Jittle

Jittle Member

I had an experience with topamax. When I was working we had to use a mail order pharmacy. If we went to a local pharm. for a daily med we took they would charge double the price. Before we switched to the mail order everything was fine. When I received my first order from them it was like I was not even taking the medication. We had to speak to the mai order company on a Sunday at 10pm (even talking to a phramisict in Arizona) so she could override the prescription and I could go back to my local drug store and get the generic brand I was use to.
    I was told by the local drug store that with all generic's there could be about a 10% difference in the medication. If memory serves they said any generic can have a 5 - 10% difference in the medicine or "what holds the pill together" from one another