questions about guaifenesin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ikathy, Apr 16, 2009.

1. ikathy

ikathy New Member

I've tried the guaifenesin protocol twice - the first time was about five years ago and not much happened. I was not very diligent about possible blockers. The second time I tried was about 9 months ago and I stayed on it for four months. I felt horrible during those four months and couldn't tolerate increased pain so I went off of it.

I'd like to try it again, but I want to know for those that have been on it and successful, how long before you started feeling better? While you were on the guai, were you taking or doing anything else to help with symptoms?

Kathy
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am one of the Guai success stories. In the beginning, one has to very carefully watch one's dose. What does nothing for one may cause great pain for another. My guess would be that the Guai dose is too much for you to start out with. You may want to use the fast-acting Guai at a low dose so that if it is still too much, it won't last 12 hrs. Considering your increase in pain, you may be an excellent person to benefit from this protocol. BTW, even with the time-release Guai, you may safely cut the tablets.

When the Guai starts pulling the phosphate debris from our tender spots, it can feel like tiny fish hooks being dragged through our bodies. The debris is crystals and as it moves, it can cuase more pain. One will usually have some pain as reversal takes place but it should not be so severe as to cause one to quit the protocol.

You may want to e-mail Claudia at the website and ask her for her suggestions. Best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  3. ikathy

ikathy New Member

Perhaps I was on too high of a dose. I started out with 600 mg/per day of the time release. I didn't feel a "tolerable" increase in pain so I bumped it up to 1200 mg. I thought I had found my correct dose because I began to feel an increase in symptom and then didn't feel well for the next few months.

I just purchased more guai from pro-health and I am going to start again. Thank you for the tip about using the fast-acting. I know you have had great luck with guai so you give me hope.

Kathy
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I hope you have better luck. Going from 600 to 1200 mgs. is a BIG jump. It's better to titrate up slowly. I know that Dr. St. Amand recommends the time-release Guai and I do think it's better in the beginning, but if the dose is too strong, you're stuck with it until it's out of the system. Perhaps using the FA until you get the dose just right and then switching.

Once, when I was upping my dose, I overdid it and had to go back and slow down the increase. I started out at 600 mgs. a day and ended up, over a lengthy time, at 2400 mgs. I now am on a maintenance dose of 600 mgs. twice a day of the FA Guai. I usually forget one of the doses and it doesn't seem to matter much anymore.

The Klonopin seems to control some of the pain and when I tried to wean off, the old FMS pain came back in spades. My CFIDS/ME is now to the point that if I get tired, I can rest all day, sleep, and wake feeling refreshed. Years ago, I was exhausted and no amount of sleep helped. I'd say the Guai and Klonopin are the two most important meds I take.

Again, best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie