Questions about Melatonin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I started taking 1mg Melatonin a week ago and it seemed to help a lot both with making me feel sleepy and deep sleep.

I take a lot of sleeping pills and have mangaged to wean down a bit this week thanks to the Melatonin. I would like to keep on taking it but last night it did not seem to work as well for some reason.

My questions are:

1. Do you build tolerance to Melatonin as with sleep meds?

2. Is it addictive?

Please respond - anyone who knows about this supplement - thanks.

Love Bunchy x

2. mezombie

mezombie Member

Hi, Bunchy!

I used to take Melatonin. I started taking it when the meds I was taking for sleep just didn't seem to be working anymore. The addition of Melatonin made a world of difference to me, and I took 2 mg sublingually for years. I started with a lower dose, but found I really need the 2 mg. I also discovered that the sublingual type helped much more than others.

It is not addictive, as far as I know, but there is some concern that it may slow down or even stop the body's natural production of melatonin (which is a hormone, by the way).

I was concerned about that, but my doctor (Cheney at the time) pointed out that if my body was not producing enough melatonin anyway, supplementing it, even on a long term basis, might be necessary.

I still was concerned enough to decrease the dose slowly when my health and sleep were more stable. I was able to do this without any adverse effects.

Now I am able to get the sleep I need without any Melatonin. The meds I was taking before are doing the trick again.

As far as the Melatonin not working last night, I wouldn't be too concerned. Your body may need some time to get used to it. I would give it a few months trial. If need be, experiment with the dose and type. As I said, I found the sublingual worked best for me.

Hope this helps!

[This Message was Edited on 01/16/2007]
  3. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Thanks for the responses!

I think, as with anything that promotes sleep, that for me I will build tolerance.

I found after a week it did not work very well so I am now taking it every few days only.

If only I could find something that would put me out at night without tolerance build-up...sigh.

For now, I will keep juggling my meds so I can keep sleeping as best I can.

Thanks again,

Love Bunchy x
  4. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I take the 2.5 mg (time release) melatonin sold here at pro health and valerian, also sold here, which has made a world of difference. I'm still not sleeping perfect but it is much better than before........and that's including when the dr put me on pamelor which wasn't as effective.
  5. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Mrpain - how long have you been taking the Melatonin?

I'm glad it helps you :)

Prickles - thanks for the tip about taking it just before bed when the lights are low - good point. BTW I checked out your website and it's great. You really are doing a great job at promoting awareness and I think you are extremely brave doing Uni with FM. I also did Uni with CFS and Dysautonomia which was bloody hard...LOL

Love Bunchy x
  6. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I've been taking it for a couple of years and it has helped more than the meds that the doctor has given me in the past.

Sometimes the meds we take or the food and/or caffeiene we drink late, will definitely make it hard to fall asleep regardless of what me take... So I don't eat late and I only drink a mug of coffee first thing in the morning to get me going..

Then a hour before bedtime, I take my time released melatonin and valerian and I fall asleep in about 20 minutes or less, instead of the 2 hours it use to take me.
    I still will wake back up in a hour but will immediately fall back asleep... I end up waking up a couple more times to run to the restroom but it is much better than before. Sometimes I will also add magnesium just for the heck of it.. I'm not sure if it makes a difference yet.