Questions About Neurontin - Prozac

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Aug 11, 2009.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

My therapist is angry I haven't started the Neurontin, as well as the prozac.

I have these questions about neurontin.

For those that have actaully used these or are using them.

Can I expect weight gain with them? I am already 50 pounds over-weight and don't need anymore.

Can you stop these after awhile? I mean, is it possible that your body will stop over-expressing pain at some point and you won't need the Neuronitin. Or is it a lifetime thing?

Same with anxiety and depression?

I have been reading about it and it seems that they start you off with a low dose and most posters said they ended up at much higher doses.

How long would it take to notice pain improvement with this drug?

Serotonin lift with prozac.

And I read something about "peripheral edema" as a side effect of Neurontin. What is this?

I have such an aversion to taking all these antidepressants, pain/seizure meds and anti-anxiety drugs. I fear I will have to be on them the rest of my life and I am going to look like a puffy body and eyed mental case.

This is so hard...starting these.

2. patchesofsunshine

patchesofsunshine New Member

I'm on 200 mgs of neurontin three times per day. I have not gained weight with it. As for taking yourself off of it, I think your doctor should wean you off of it. I've taken it for years without any adverse effects. Hope this helps

patches of sunshine
  3. dannybex

dannybex Member

I'm sure some people have found benefit by taking neurontin and/or prozac, but both made me considerably worse back in 2001 when my employers insisted that I go to a REAL doctor and get some REAL drugs. It was only after I got off the drugs that I improved enough to where I was basically in remission for about 10 months...

If at all possible, I would try to get your doctor to order some tests that may explain some of your symptoms. Like a CDSA w/Ova and Parasites test -- it will tell you if you have some weird or serious infections in your gut that might be contributing to your anxiety, depression and/or pain. Candida and other fungal infections are well known to cause anxiety.

And if possible, ask for a 'delayed food sensitivity' test -- that will show if you have delayed reactions to certain foods in your diet. Friends who used to be in my support group, who have recovered -- several of them found that test to be very helpful -- they got much better by cutting out or rotating foods they ate.

And finally, ask to get your vitamin D levels tested (25-d levels). Many people experience a 20-40% improvement just by bringing their d levels up to the normal range.

Best regards,

4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I've been on Prozac for the majority of the last 12 yrs. I have changed dosages and taken breaks from it depending on my level of depr.

It was one of MANY ADs I've tried, it has the least amt of side effects for me and is the only AD that actually helped my depr.

I did not gain weight from it, but I do experience the sexual side effects (zero libido, difficulty achieving "O", sorry if TMI).

But, it's saved my life several's just something I'll probably always need to keep brain chem balanced. My depr is partly genetic, from my father's side. Everyone is different, some folks just take it for a limited time and then wean off.

I began taking it before I was diagnosed w FM, so I don't really think I've noticed any help w pain from it.

I think it's worth a try, but I am an AD believer who has benefitted from Prozac:)

xoxo Hermit
  5. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Hi Joe,

I think your therapist is being a jerk if I may say so. You have every right to decide if and when you will put medications into your body. That's a basic human right. People with CFS have to be very careful about any medication we take as well which many therapists completely fail to understand.

In my case I'm very sensitive to meds so my doctor gave me liquid Neurontin so I could measure it out into the tiniest doses possible and then increase if I could tolerate it. I started out with very little and didn't notice anything for a few days. I was getting heart palpations every night but that's not abnormal for me so I didn't pay much attention to it. By the 5th night my heart palpitations were stronger than they had ever been and lasted for over a half an hour straight. I'd been taking the Neurontin in the morning so I hadn't put it together until then. It was frightening.

I went off it and the heart palps still occurred at night but with less and less intensity as the drug dissipated out of my system. My doctor hadn't told me to look for a side-effect of heart palps so I looked it up online and found lots of PWCs who had experienced the same thing with the heart palps.

Some people say Neurontin works great for them and others say it makes them much more sick.

6. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I have many many GI tract issues. I feel incredible stresses, sicknes feeling and pain down there all the time, especially when I am majorly depressed ( Which causes which? )
    I have fungal issues in all toes and in right thumb and in my right hand ( much peeling ) and I have fungal rashes like the one on my right shin that never goes away. have had that for over 1 year now.

Stool has been found to contain "significant candida." But the doctors I have mentioned this too say it means nothing. And my stools and gas smell so sick, almost like a skunk.

This really bad stool odor took off after I got sick 3 years ago after taking Levaquin and having my body and guts destroyed. I have ful body tendonitis and other symptoms.

Middle intestines were ulcerated enough after swallowing camera they thought this was beginning Crohns disease. Doctors were mixed on this one. Now have about 5 other GI tract issues, IBD, Gastritis, Diverticulitis, GERD, etc.

Again, any doctor I mention this too just dismisses it and won't let me bring it up again.

I feel this is connected to the depression and anxiety.

I need to check everything you mentioned poster on this subject. But, there is only one GI group where I live and I need to escape this prison of limtied study and diagnosis here.

I want everything checked down there.

I started the prozac today, cant say I feel anything different yet.

Harder to start the neurontin but maybe I should at least give it a few weeeks try.

Thanks again, JB
  7. dannybex

dannybex Member

You are smarter than your doctors.

That's just bizarre (but also so typical) that even though your stool shows 'significant candida' they say it means nothing. A simple google search by a 5th grader would turn up multiple studies that show the connection between the toxins released by fungal infections (like candida) and their effects on mental and physical problems.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR of course, but in my humble layman's opinion (and after meeting and getting to know several people who have recovered) I would suggest that your CFS, depression, anxiety, etc., is all coming from your gut issues.

And also that perhaps...perhaps all that damage was indeed caused or at least exacerbated by the Levaquin. It's fortunate that you didn't suffer any spontaneous tendon ruptures so common with that drug (and others in the same family, like Cipro).

If you can find an N.D., or even an M.D. to get the CSDA from Meridian Valley Labs, then you'll have confirmation of precisely what's going on in your gut. And an N.D. would be more likely to know how to treat this, probably with high-dose probiotics, and almost definitely a change in diet (at least temporarily) in order for your gut to heal.

You might also consider checking out the Feingold Diet, or the SCD diet -- both have helped folks heal their guts, by cutting out hard to digest foods or synthetic chemicals. Of course they might not work for everyone, but there are thousands of reports of people stopping their Crohns medications, etc -- after finding relief by changing what they eat.

Best regards,

8. dannybex

dannybex Member

In's a double-blind study I just found on PubMed. Take this to your doctor. :)

Gut Pathog. 2009 Mar 19;1(1):6.

A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of a probiotic in emotional symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome.

Rao AV, Bested AC, Beaulne TM, Katzman MA, Iorio C, Berardi JM, Logan AC.
    Integrative Care Centre of Toronto, 3600 Ellesmere Road, Unit 4, Toronto, Ontario M1C 4Y8, Canada.

ABSTRACT: Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is complex illness of unknown etiology. Among the broad range of symptoms, many patients report disturbances in the emotional realm, the most frequent of which is anxiety.

Research shows that patients with CFS and other so-called functional somatic disorders have alterations in the intestinal microbial flora. Emerging studies have suggested that pathogenic and non-pathogenic gut bacteria might influence mood-related symptoms and even behavior in animals and humans.

In this pilot study, 39 CFS patients were randomized to receive either 24 billion colony forming units of Lactobacillus casei strain Shirota (LcS) or a placebo daily for two months. Patients provided stool samples and completed the Beck Depression and Beck Anxiety Inventories before and after the intervention.

We found a significant rise in both Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria in those taking the LcS, and there was also a significant decrease in anxiety symptoms among those taking the probiotic vs controls (p = 0.01). These results lend further support to the presence of a gut-brain interface, one that may be mediated by microbes that reside or pass through the intestinal tract.
  9. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I want to start over with everything in my GI tract as soon as possible. I am in soreness/stress there every day and all the time now.

I'll go on the doctor board too.
  10. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Just to let you know. I think CFS causes GI problems. I have them too. None of my doctors have been able to help me with it and I have Candida Krusei in my stools which is a very rare and bad type of Candida.

The one thing that has helped me is drinking psyllium every day. That's the same stuff that's in Metamucil, so you may want to try that. If I don't do it I'm in even worse shape.

11. mje

mje New Member

At the time of an especially stressful summer My primary Dr., and my Rheumatologist started me on 10 mg. in the morning. That was 12 years ago my regular Dr. said it would smooth things over, and it seemed to do that. It took 3-4 weeks before I could notice a difference.
    In the last 2 years I tried to stop taking it. Went off very gradually. After about 3 weeks
    I was very, very irritable.. and knew that was not going to help around this household. ( Just my husband and myself) so I started taking it again. I have had FMS (diagnosed) since 1985,
    so I can relate to many comments here. Best regards to all. MJE
  12. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

I was on neurontin for a couple of years to help with what the dr. considered to be diabetic neuropathy along with FM.

I don't recall it helping much (if at all) and even though the dosage was raised nothing seemed to change so I simply quit taking it. I had no side effects from abrubtly stopping it that I can remember.

I'm concerned about your GI issues. Have you had both scopes done and were samples biopsied to test for Celiac???? Some of the symptoms you mention sound like they could be celiac related, especially the pain and foul odors.

Also, have you had your sugar levels taken. Having yeast throughout your body can often indicate diabetes.

Don't want to scare you, just sharing my experiences.

Wishing you better health,