questions about shingles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimkane, May 27, 2006.

1. kimkane

kimkane New Member

Hi all, its been a long time since i have posted. just busy taking care of my folks. i need to find out somethings about shingles.
    i have them under my right arm, on the side of my breast, and here and there on my back.

How easy/fast do they spread?
    What can I put on them? Calamine lotion?
    If I itch or touch them, and then lets say rub my eye, can they spread that way?

I was in so much pain when i was at dr.s i didn't think to ask her anything. she did put me on valtrex. 1 every 8 hrs.

can any one tell me more? i did a search on shingles here and no answers to my question.

help plz, Kim
  2. kimkane

kimkane New Member

3. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Last night on the news they said there was a new vaccine out for people with shingles. My aunt just came down with them and I wanted to tell her that also..
  4. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

you can get so much info if you type "shingles" in the search box. As far as spreading to different parts of the body, I'd have to say no. However, if you mess with the ones you got you could sread their length and width. It's best not to mess with them.. For me, and me only, puttimg on these creams only made them worse. Sorry...
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I gave her some of my colostrum and undenatured whey sold here. Her shingles cleared up so fast that her doc was amazed. She was also on an AV and got it early on.

My other neighbor still has pain months after her shingle outbreak. Her doc gave her Neurontin for the pain and it has helped some.

Love, Mikie
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

tagamet and/or acupuncture will help! I'm reposting what I've posted a few times in the past...

I had shingles and besides taking valtrex I also did acupuncture... within 2 hours after first treatment, I was able to go to the bookstore, felt wonderful - no longer feverish, amazingly, as the day before I'd had a fever, blisters had greatly multiplied over prior week, was getting the pain even tho I'd already started the valtrex, etc... had been miserable for a week.

I ALSO have a friend who is afraid of needles who the valtrex did NOT help, his shingles was in the groin and the post-herpetic pain (PHN) persisted for 6 months; dire pain! --esp since it was in THAT area!

I did some research for him, found TAGAMET/cimetidine, unbelievably, can help this condition -- and it WORKED quite well and fast for him!

you can read more about using it for shingles and boosting your immune system at:

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2001/mar2001_report_tagamet_1.html

but here are some excerpts from their article:
    ------------------
    Herpes zoster (shingles)

The most common neurologic condition known is herpes zoster, usually referred to as shingles. The CDC says that up to one million people in the United States contract herpes zoster each year. David Cooper, M.D., a contributing editor to JAMA, stated in 1998 that shingles afflicts more than one million people every year.

Herpes zoster is a reactivation of the virus that causes chicken pox. Once a person has recovered from chicken pox, the virus (varicella) remains dormant, hiding among the connective nerve tissue in the body.

No one seems to know why it occurs, although stress and/or a compromised immune system is thought to exacerbate the condition, but it usually activates in people over the age of 50. Traveling through the ganglia, it causes a tingling, stinging or burning sensation.

A couple days later, once the virus has completed its journey to the skin, an irritating and painful rash and accompanying blisters may erupt. The resulting condition can be so painful, the patient may be unable to tolerate clothing or anything that touches the affected area....

In cases of herpes zoster (shingles)... cimetidine has been successfully used to lessen the debilitating pain and intensity of the skin rash and eruptions.

Published studies indicate that viruses like herpes simplex and herpes zoster can be put into quick remission, or the breakouts prevented altogether, when T-lymphocyte suppressor cell function is inhibited.

The best way of accomplishing this is to take 200 mg of cimetidine (Tagamet) three times a day and then 400 mg a bedtime. Tagamet is available in pharmacies over-the-counter.

Suggested use is to initiate Tagamet as soon as symptoms of a herpes-related virus infection appear. Continue to take it for one to two weeks after all symptoms of the outbreak have abated.

One precautionary note, even though Tagamet (cimetidine) is sold over-the-counter, refer to the package insert to make sure it does not interact with prescription drugs you may already be taking.

Please note that if your doctor prescribes generic cimetidine, it may cost less to obtain it as a prescription drug (especially if you have prescription drug insurance) rather than buying the Tagamet name brand that is available without a prescription.
    -----------------
    (if you go to their website, there are also references to the studies)

Everyone may not be able to tolerate tagamet for various reasons, but it is worth looking into, as is acupuncture.

hope this helps...
    Victoria

7. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

the one question that you asked about if you scratched the shingles and then rubbed yous eye could you spread them. i believe you can spread them into your eyes that way. please be sure to wash your hands well befor you touch your eye while you have this outbreak. also remember that yoiu need to avoid people who haven't had chicken pox while you have an outbreak of shingles as you can infect them.
    i hope this helps.
    rachel