Questions about SS and SSI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kayfrey, Sep 20, 2003.

1. kayfrey

kayfrey New Member

I have been off of work since March because of this DD. I know in the state I am in that I can not work full time anymore!

My husband wants me to try and get disability, but if i am married won't that keep me from getting it, due to his pay check each month?

Any in-put would be welcomed!!!

Kayfrey
  2. Tunes

Tunes New Member

Hi Kay,

In a word, no.

You can ask SS to send you a statement of your past earnings right now. It will tell you what credits you have thus far, and the amount you are eligible to receive as Disability.

Your husband's paycheck has nothing to do with it.

I don't know what SSI is, what that particular program does or how it works.

But for your own Disability, you have a record of earnings and credits.

Take care
    Tunes
  3. pamj

pamj New Member

I had to stop working due to illness 2 years ago & I now receive SSDI (Social Security Disability Income). I qualified for it based on my work history. As long as you have earned the minimum number of credits, it doesn't matter what else is going on for you financially. My husband's income or work history doesn't have anything to do with my disability. Neither does owning any property, or having money in the bank. They have no reason to even ask you about any of this information.

Your disability income is based on your work/salary history alone. If you are eligible, and if you qualify due to illness, then you deserve it.

If you are too sick to work, then you should definitely start the application process. If you have a steady work history, and your medical info shows that you have been too sick to work since March, then your backpay will go back to that date.

Good luck!!!

Pam
  4. gail3942

gail3942 New Member

Social Security disability is based on your work years. Your husbanda income isn't factored in, SSI is the old "id to the totally disabled" program run by the gov't and assets are counted. Also, normally you would get more $'s based on SSD.
    Hope this helps.
    Gail
  5. KDBBEV

KDBBEV New Member

SSI is for very low income 800.00 a month or less, and your husband income would affect this.
    SSD is only from your work credits.. your husbands does not influence it..and if you file for it you will recieve it (SSD)from the date of disability. When you get it you will get a check but will have to wait two years from date to recieve medicare.
    Make sure your doc documents everything and everytime you seen him. Try to get his support. Keep copies of everything SS sends you to fill out. Look under the heading of disability on this site and you will see tons of info. There is a lot of discussion sites also.