questions about the guai protocol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cin, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Cin

Cin New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the guai protocol and I have a few questions for all of you:
    1.) How many have tried it?
    2.) How many has it actually helped?
    3.) Does anyone have a complete, comprehensive lists of things that cannot be used/ consumed while on the guaifenesin?
    Thank you all in advance for all of your help,
    ~~Cindi~~
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The best advice I can give you is to buy the book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About FIBROMYALGIA," by Dr. Paul St. Amand. It will answer all your questions about the Guai treatment. Then, if you still have questions, we will be glad to help you. You can also do a search on Guai and it will bring up all our old posts about it.

The Guai protocol is rather complex because you need to understand the theory behind it, learn how to tweak the doseage, and learn how to eliminate sals from your regimen (this is explained in the book). For this reason, it's just too much to go into here.

Yes, the Guai has helped me and others here. I have gone from having to take Morphine for the pain to usually needing nothing for it. Unfortunately, CFIDS is my worst illness, and because of that, I still suffer from fatigue. My fatigue is better, though, since being on the Guai. I was almost bedridden two years ago when I started the Guai.

Good luck and after you have read the book, bring us all your questions.

Love, Mikie
  3. Cin

Cin New Member

Mikie,
    Thank you so much. It definitely seems like it's worth a try since I have read so much that's positive about it. So thanks again for the source and the info.
    ~~Cindi~~
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some people have not been helped by the Guai, but for those of us who have been helped, it has been a God send. I hope if you decide to go this route, it will benefit you as much as it has me.

It's a long-term treatment, but it's well worth it. BTW, it almost immediately cleared up my Fibro Fog and for that reason alone, it was worth it.

Love, Mikie
  5. isee

isee New Member

I am now reading St. Armand's book, and just finished his chapter on guaifenesin. It makes sense, but the many salicylates one must avoid - especially the hidden ones in vitamins,minerals, supplements - feels overwhelming.

Any tips on idenfifying the concealed ones in herbal preparations? toothpastes?

Quickly glancing at a couple of my mainstay supplements, I think I see some camoflaged sals. For example, the Isocort(the adrenal gland/Cortef-like one) I take has echinecea. Then the Magnesium Citrate has watercress and alfafa.

Looks like gardening in soils, without gloves or protection against soil sals, can impede quai progress too.

Like I said, weeding out all the offending sals is overwhelming, but I'm desperate to do anything for my brain fog.

Grateful for your and others' responses.

Anna