Questions about the weather

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lavender_butterfly, Sep 25, 2002.

1. lavender_butterfly

lavender_butterfly New Member

Hello! I am curious about something. I just recently came back from New Mexico, where I was visiting a friend. While I was there I felt so much better.

When I returned home, to Minnesota, I started feeling bad and have gone from bad to worse over the past few days. I have FM. I looked around a bit and I found some sparse information on FM and cold sensitivity, but not much else.

I am going to be moving away from Minnesota in the Spring, due to divorce. I have the option to move to New Mexico or Indiana. I was wondering if anyone had any information on how the weather or certain climates affect people with FM. I was just diagnosed in August of this year. I have never done very well in the cold and I have often talked about moving somewhere warm. I just wonder if it would be more intelligent for me to move to New Mexico, if the desert climate and warm temperatures would benefit me more than moving to Indiana?

Does anyone have any ideas, comments, or information on this topic? If so, much thanks!! I welcome any discussion!!

Have a nice day!
  2. lavender_butterfly

Hello! I am curious about something. I just recently came back from New Mexico, where I was visiting a friend. While I was there I felt so much better.

When I returned home, to Minnesota, I started feeling bad and have gone from bad to worse over the past few days. I have FM. I looked around a bit and I found some sparse information on FM and cold sensitivity, but not much else.

I am going to be moving away from Minnesota in the Spring, due to divorce. I have the option to move to New Mexico or Indiana. I was wondering if anyone had any information on how the weather or certain climates affect people with FM. I was just diagnosed in August of this year. I have never done very well in the cold and I have often talked about moving somewhere warm. I just wonder if it would be more intelligent for me to move to New Mexico, if the desert climate and warm temperatures would benefit me more than moving to Indiana?

Does anyone have any ideas, comments, or information on this topic? If so, much thanks!! I welcome any discussion!!

Have a nice day!
  3. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I remember discussing this awhile back--I don't think there is a perfect place. I live in sunny Florida, but the humidy and dampness gets to my bones and muscles. Even though our winters are milder temperatures--it's very damp. Also when a storm front comes, I think its a low pressure--my head feels like it's going to explode.
    I'm bumping this up--maybe others will respond.
    Tania
  4. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

the weather plays a huge role in our feeling good or bad. I just returned from Jamaica and was feeling better. By the time we got home to Georgia, the weather has been cooler, damp, and tons of rain. I have had the worst headaches and my body is screaming.

I hope you find what you are looking for in New Mexico, that would be my pick! Lisa
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have discussed this one with several Rheumatologist's and they all said the same thing: Consistency of weather helps FMS symptoms. It is not cold, hot, dry or wet that makes it the worst, it is the degree of change between the extremes of all those things. From that point of view, neither of your choices would be very good, but New Mexico would be better than Indiana. My doc says Florida and Hawaii are the best for temps that don't vary much. I live in Florida now, and it is true that there is little change in the weather...it's always hot and humid. Boring, but easier on the body. Large weather changes are usually preceeded by fronts and the barometric pressure changes may make us worse too. I have a friend who moved to New Mexico 2 yrs. ago, and the snow and cold are hard on her after living here in Florida, but compared to Minnesota it should be a lot easier to take. Best of luck, whatever you decide.
    Klutzo
  6. lavender_butterfly

Thanks to all of you who responded and gave your input! Its so nice to hear from others on this subject.

Well...I don't think I could afford to live in Hawaii and I just couldn't see myself in Florida. But thanks so much for the point about the variations in climate. That does make so much sense!! I started feeling so bad about 12 hours after I got back from New Mexico and when I thought about it, a little bell went off in my brain. When I left New Mexico, it was 85. When I got to Minnesota, it was 53, rainy, and cold. No wonder I felt so horrible!!!

As far as "boring" weather...honestly, I would be very happy with boring weather!! LOL! So many people here tell me that I will miss the seasons changing and I will miss the snow. But I BEG TO DIFFER!! I dread the change in seasons, each season. I fear the snow. I wouldn't mind if the changes were subtle. Or if the snow was light and it disappeared quickly. But this is Minnesota...if you have never been here in the winter, then you probably wouldn't understand exactly how bad it gets.

I think New Mexico is going to be my first try. The divorce probably isn't going to happen now, since I can barely manage to take care of myself and I need someone to help me. My husband is showing me for the first time that he can be a responsible adult and help take care of me. Maybe he just needed a hobby?? LOL! I am not sure what is going on, but I am willing to give him a second chance since he is willing to move for me and take care of me. *SIGH* Who here understands the mysteries of love? I sure don't...

Thanks for all the help!!
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I moved from coastal California, where the temps. are more constant and the humidity is very low, to eastern Kansas, where the humidity is very high and summers are HOT, 6 months ago; I am definitely noticing a worsening of my symptoms. I'm not sure why, but I feel that the high humidity has a lot to do with it for me, even more than the temperature change. So New Mexico sounds nice to me! Good luck & better health whatever you end up doing...