Questions concerning sexual abuse and the brain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SharonR, Sep 24, 2002.

1. SharonR

SharonR New Member

How child abuse and neglect damage the brain By Josh Kendall, Globe Correspondent, 9/24/02 "....These new neurobiological findings show that trauma - physical abuse, sexual abuse and neglect - dramatically affects both the structure and chemistry of the developing brain, thus causing the behavioral and learning problems that plague about three-quarters of the children mired in the child welfare system. But the good news is that these brain changes aren't necessarily permanent....published in The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences in 1993, Teicher linked abuse to brain wave abnormalities. Reviewing the records of 115 consecutive admissions to a child and adolescent psychiatric hospital, Teicher found brain wave abnormalities in 54 percent of patients with an abuse history, but in only 27 percent of nonabused patients. And 72 percent of the patients in the sample with a history of both physical and sexual abuse had these neurological abnormalities. As a rule, Teicher said, the greater the severity of the abuse, the greater the impact on brain function. And the relationship of the perpetrator to the child also matters: ''Sex abuse by a family member is worse than abuse by a priest or a baby-sitter.'' Several studies now document that abuse damages key brain structures such as the cortex, which is associated with rational thinking, and the hippocampus, which helps process memories and emotions. Both brain regions are critical for learning. In a study published in the same journal in 1998, Teicher and his colleagues used brain scans to compare 15 child victims of severe abuse with 15 healthy volunteers. The left cortex of the abused group was underdeveloped." http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/267/science/How_child_abuse_and_neglect_damage_the_brain+.shtml
  2. SharonR

SharonR New Member

How child abuse and neglect damage the brain By Josh Kendall, Globe Correspondent, 9/24/02 "....These new neurobiological findings show that trauma - physical abuse, sexual abuse and neglect - dramatically affects both the structure and chemistry of the developing brain, thus causing the behavioral and learning problems that plague about three-quarters of the children mired in the child welfare system. But the good news is that these brain changes aren't necessarily permanent....published in The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences in 1993, Teicher linked abuse to brain wave abnormalities. Reviewing the records of 115 consecutive admissions to a child and adolescent psychiatric hospital, Teicher found brain wave abnormalities in 54 percent of patients with an abuse history, but in only 27 percent of nonabused patients. And 72 percent of the patients in the sample with a history of both physical and sexual abuse had these neurological abnormalities. As a rule, Teicher said, the greater the severity of the abuse, the greater the impact on brain function. And the relationship of the perpetrator to the child also matters: ''Sex abuse by a family member is worse than abuse by a priest or a baby-sitter.'' Several studies now document that abuse damages key brain structures such as the cortex, which is associated with rational thinking, and the hippocampus, which helps process memories and emotions. Both brain regions are critical for learning. In a study published in the same journal in 1998, Teicher and his colleagues used brain scans to compare 15 child victims of severe abuse with 15 healthy volunteers. The left cortex of the abused group was underdeveloped." http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/267/science/How_child_abuse_and_neglect_damage_the_brain+.shtml
  3. little

little Member

I have heard that abuse maybe one cause for FM. I offened wondered if any of that was true. I can't seem to turn off my fight or flight responce. I wondered if that is why my whole body aches. My body seems to be always on guard for danger. I can't seem to stop it. I read the whole article that you wrote about. It was very interesting. Sometimes I think that that is why I don't sleep sound. Every little sound wakes me. I never knew when the abuser was going to come day or night. It has been an awful way to live. I was between 7 and 11 when the abuse took place. That is when the pain started. The doctor said that it was just growing pains.I told the doctor about the abuse. All he said was that person wasn't nice. The abuse continued for four years more. He could have stopped it.I had no faith or trust in adults after that. I had to fend for myself then and even now. THANK-YOU FOR THE POST GAIL
  4. SharonR

SharonR New Member

Please read the post on previous page called, "Off My Eye Board", it may explain exactly what you are dealing with.
    Or just click on my name to the left and it will show you the list of post. Go to that one. I should have labeled it differently.
    So sorry your childhood was disrupted in such a cruel fashion, I hope you can resolve the factor before it manages to ruin your adulthood. There is no rationale for child abuse in any form.
    Smiles and Hugs
    SharonR
  5. little

little Member

Thank you for your responce. It is an awful shame that we don't have any doctors to talk to that don't just give pills for everything. Sometime just listening to us would help. I guess that FM is a compplicated DD that is very hard to figure out. Finding this site has helped me learn so much about this DD. Thanks Gail