Questions for Noise Anxiety Sufferers...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sk8enscars, Jul 13, 2010.

1. sk8enscars

sk8enscars New Member

How do you deal with it??!!!!! lol I'm going crazy. It's gotten worse too. Every sound I hear that is out of place makes me want to rip my ear drums out. To make matters worse, I already have really sensitive hearing and my husband is hard of hearing. So he often makes sounds that he's not even aware of. We have a great marriage but this is starting to be an issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

LEFTYGG Member

my husband is hard of hearing too. in the car noises are really bad so i have ear plugs even if you only wear 1 it helps plus you can still hear. love gail
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I wish I had an answer for you, but I can definitely relate.....and your timing is perfect - today was literally 9 1/2 hrs straight of loud annoying noises at my apt (my idea of torture!)....was woken up by the lawn service doing their mowing (very loud and they literally come right up to my ground floor bedroom), then they switched to leaf blowers, then another grp started cutting down big branches of trees using chain saws, that was followed by maintenance on the roof pounding away at something, and then once they stopped, my upstairs neighbor started vacuuming (their vacuum above my head sounds like very loud bees) least the upstairs people didn't play their music tonight (another common loud occurrence)

I have tried using white noise and earplugs, but neither really takes care of it, and the earplugs make my ears itch and brake out with painful zits....and the earplugs also actually hurt when I use them laying sorry I don't have anything really helpful to suggest
  4. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

My biggest thing is I have to have ear plugs. My doctor told me not to use them very often, but without them on the anxiety days, I have no choice. I use them everynight to sleep, or I would never get any sleep.

I found that the plastic ones work better for me than the foam ones. As far as noise that gets through, and being able to keep them clean and sanitary. The harest thing is to make sure that you do keep them clean, or you will get an ear infection. I have had only 2 in the last 4 years of using them, so thats really not too bad.

I hope you can find out what works best for you!

5. greatgran

greatgran Member

I take xanax helps some and also with this ringing in my ears 24/7.. Wish I was of more help.

6. loto

loto Member

LOL, at work, I can't really deal with it because I'm stuck in a busy office! I usually just go take a break so I don't scream at everyone to SHUT UP!!! lol

You said that good--"every sound that is out of place"--I never thought of it that way, but that's exactly what scares the crap out of me! Especially if it's a LOUD noise. It freaks me out. The only thing I know to do for that is to wear ear plugs all the time! I'll have to talk to my sister and have her get me a bunch of the foam ear plugs. She works at a hearing aid place.

I hope you and all of us with this problem find ways to deal with it. I know I sometimes get to the point of yelling at people that are being too loud.

7. sk8enscars

sk8enscars New Member

My MIL, who is an NP and actually GETS me told me she saw on a Dr. Phil about a girl with the same problem. She didn't have fibro or CFS but she was just irritated at every sound. They all sounded loud to her and she spent most of her time screaming at her family and friends over the strangest things. He said most people with that problem will find that it's not hypersensitive hearing, rather it's noise anxiety... anxiety created by your inability to control the noises in your surroundings... And that there's actually a therapy for it.

Apparently they use biofeedback or something to help you get your body totally relaxed and then they introduce noises. If it's too much, they remove it and let you re-relax. Then they dial it back and start with the most you can tolerate. During this noise you basically train your body to adapt and relax. Once you relax with it turned down low, they keep increasing it... either in volume or in the kind of noise. From what she said it's like, a 12-hour thing (I wouldn't think that's 12 hours in a row...) and people who do it actually find relief from it because they're able to prevent the never-ending anxiety cycle from happening in the first place by consciously relaxing themselves.

I'm a little skeptical because I feel I'm a little high-strung for it to work.... and I can't stop shuddering over the thought of voluntarily being subjected to irritating noises... but I guess if you can afford it or have insurance that will pay, it might be worth it to try!
  8. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

but I never heard it called noise anxiety. That's what it is so it's a good name. I wear earplugs and that will take the edge off. Sometimes I wear headphones but not in public. It's worse when I am tired or stressed.

It's very frustrating because noise is normal to others and so I can't say or do anything about it. I've found that if I relax and accept it instead of fighting it, it's a little easier to handle. (Though there was that neighbor's barking-non-stop dog that I fantasized about how I would go about killing and me being a huge dog lover and all...)

Between noise, chemical smells, crowds, movement, excitement it is hard to do things, not to mention fatigue, muscle pain, difficulty standing or even sitting.