questions for those 60+ taking hrt

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mimmic, Jan 25, 2009.

1. mimmic

mimmic Member

do many this age still take hrt? what do you take and what dosage? also do you have concerns about taking it. i still take it after many years but have been conflicted.
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Good question, I don't take hrt anymore but haven't felt good since I stopped. I am 66 and stopped mine about 9 years ago , then came down with cfs. Somtimes I wonder if its cfs or a hormone issue.

If you feel good, keep taking it . I am thinking about going back on the patch but at my age what do I do. I was on the Climara (sp) patch a low dose and loved it because it helped so much with my anxiety/depression and body aches. I had a complete hysterectomy at 52, wasnt going to take hrt, I never had a hot flash but man did the anxiety/depression hit big time. My obgyn put me on xanax and tried different hrts that didn't work but then went to the patch and with the xanax and hrt I began to feel so much better. Then I was able to come off the xanax completely. Until the darn cfs and no hrt. Also hrt helped with the crazy head feelings. So I think the benefits out weigh the risk.

I am anxious to see what others post.

God Bless,
    gg
  3. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

I still take them but I did switch to a bio identical estrogen and progesterone 5 years ago, I had horrible side effects from the synthetic ones. I have no reservations at all taking them since they are natural. I could feel a difference in all my symptoms in about a week. My new doctor will be working on the HPA axis soon so hopefully I can get off of them. I'm sick of taking pills!!!!:)

Sarah
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I only took the HRT about eight months after my hysterectomy. That is when the first study came out about the HRT being related to cancer.

I did not notice any difference from before taking HRT and when I discontinued. His reasoning for putting me on it in the first place was that he did not want me to go through instant menopause.

I still have hot flashes, I had them even in my teens but they got worse after starting an AD and then the CFS/ME/FM exacerbated it even more.

gap
  5. kittycamcj

kittycamcj New Member

MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT AFTER 60 I COULD STOP TAKING HRT. I HAD A HYSTERECTOMY
    ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO, AND I'VE BEEN ON HRT EVER SINCE. I WILL BE 62 IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS SO I STOPPED ABOUT 6 WEEKS AGO AND I FEEL FINE. I ALSO LOST 13 POUNDS.

CAROL