QUESTIONS re: advocating for Son while waiting for SSI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, May 9, 2006.

  1. victoria

    victoria New Member

    As many of you know, my 18 yo son has chronic lyme, hasn't shown much improvement with 11 months of treatment, looks like it is going to be a long haul.

    He tried working last winter, but had to quit due to increasing fatigue and increasing pain and numbness in legs and arms; I started the application process for SSI but we have also hired a lawyer now.

    In the meantime, I have told him to go to DFCS office to apply for food stamps etc, whatever is possible and to find out about possible emergency Medicaid for medications as it is running $800/mo now

    (and that is at a discounted price because our pharmacist feels sorry for us! We are paying for his expenses on an IOU loan basis, but, this is a lot of $$ overall for us, needless to say.)

    The problem is he messes up everytime he goes over to DFCS - application was not filled out correctly first time, second time he found out he needs an app't, then when he show sup on time for app't he doesn't realize that he still has to sign in electronically so misses app't, then someone calls him to tell him no way can he get any emergency Medicaid (i know this isn't true)... this just keeps going on and on...

    My questions are:
    would it be better for me to go advocate for him with him in tow...

    is there a way he can get a social worker from state mental health agency to help him... & can I aid in this process as well...

    He forgets to tell doctors etc certain things, doesn't clearly remember things told him, etc...

    I was hoping that by his going alone they could see his confusion firsthand at least(!?) but he manages a good cover by not saying much and 'looking like' he understands.

    Any advice is greatly appreciated!


  2. victoria

    victoria New Member

    this goes to 2nd page...

  3. suzetal

    suzetal New Member

    He will need to give you medical power of attorney.I think you can print the form on line.You will need to get it notarized.

    Here in Rhode Island we have clinics that charge by your in come.If you have none they get you emergency medical.You also get your scripts filled there and the most you spend is 10.00.

    I learned all this cause my sister was homeless and needed medical care.So I brought her there.

    I will keep you both in my prayers.

  4. victoria

    victoria New Member

    WakeMeUp: I don't get the channel that broadcasts Montel Williams... I had some other -or maybe the same- info, somewhere... but I will call and find out what is possible.

    A major complication is that his meds get changed fairly regularly... not sure if this is handled thru one agency or one ultimately has to petition each drug mfr as meds change?

    And Sue, thanks for the info about the medical clinic... unfortunately with chronic lyme, in order to get good care, he does need to go 2 states away or we are met with the usual line, "but lyme is not in Georgia' even tho his tests are positive twice over... and I know that no one here would know how to treat him adequately as a result. Actually we tried, nobody wants to deal with him, not even our family internist who originally ran his 'regular' blood tests.

    OK so I will work out a time/day to go with him... I was a bit afraid of how I'd be viewed ... SS has already tried to brush him off saying it was based on MY assets, well geez, he's my son not my husband the idiots! Grrrr! But don't need the extra stress, handed it over to an att'y.


[ advertisement ]