Questions re thyroid test results, a little puzzling

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Aug 16, 2008.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Well, just had my thyroid retested and here are the results:

T3 Uptake - 41.5 (a little high, range was 25.0 - 40.0)

T3 Total - 83.4 (normal - range is 40 - 180)

T4 - 4.6 (low - range is 5 - 13)

T7 (Calc) - 1.92 (low normal - range is 1.25 - 5.2)

TSH, 3rd Generation - 0.101 (definitely low - range is
    0.35 - 5.5)

My doctor has ordered an MRI of my pituitary - she said that the low TSH indicates there may be a problem, possibly a tumor, with my pituitary.

I'm currently taking 120 mg. of Armour thyroid. I was on 90 mg, but she increased a few months ago because my thyroid was low.

I don't have symptoms of hyperthyroid, no fast heart rate, etc. And I don't have overt symptoms of a pituitary tumor from the symptoms I've read about.

So - any ideas of what may be going on? The MRI is scheduled for next Tuesday.

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks for your input. I guess it's reassuring that your TSH was so low but you were feeling okay.

Did the doctor say anything about the nodules on your thyroid, what they were or if there was anything to be done about them?

It probably would be good to get your thyroid rechecked.

I'm guessing that my pituitary is not working properly in connection with CFIDS.

We'll see how the MRI goes.

3. jinlee

jinlee Member

that armour thyroid is not the best thing to help with thyroid.

You might consider an endocrinologist opinion. Just my observations from med education I have had.

Take care.
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks for your suggestion. My primary CFIDS doctor (who is different from the doctor who ordered the MRI) does believe that Armour thyroid is the best thyroid med. I know many doctors believe otherwise.

In any event, I'll wait and see what happens with the MRI and probably get both doctors' opinions about what, if anything to do further. And, if need be, consult an endocrinologist.

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

My doctor told me that Armour contains both T3 and TR, while Synthroid only contains T4. Hence, his preference for Armour.