Questions, what can I take for constapation & bump

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Nov 22, 2005.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I am on some really stonge pain meds everyday MSContin 100mg up to 5x a day ,MSIR {Morphine instant relesase} 30 mg x 4 a day, soma, 250 mg x4 daily, Then there are the xanax, and valium, visterial, and just added for leg cramps , quinnine 345 mg x1 daily.
    I do have perocet 10/650 which I take very rarely when the pain gets overwhelming but every time I take it I can't have a BM for 2-3 days and it is not comfortable. LIke the subject matter I really don't like to discuss it.

I have on my own learned that if I eat at least 2 cups of kracklin Bran a ceral that is full of fiber. I eat it as a snack, with a glass of milk. I don't put the milk on it just pop it inmy mouth and really chew it up good and sometimes I will remember to take my magnesium like I should. My Md told me that it is a water souoable mineral so you can't take too much of it like Vitiam C. YOUr body will only take what it needs and the rest just leaves as fluid. So I will take 3 a day of it and that will help.

And with the Kracklin Bran and magiunusim{sp} I go every day but I am not getting the softer stools' Oh this is so gross to discuss. Because I take the MSContin and MISR everyday and at least 3-4 times a day I am always on the tough side nothing soft. And I don't know what to do to make it softer? MY sister uses miralax but tells me that it takes time to learn the right balance and she takes more pain meds than I do.

I just want to know what to do or if there is anything that I can do. I can't use alot of the over the counter stuff because they give me really bad stomache ache and bad CRAMPS . So i don't like them , And i really don't know what to do. or should I just leave well enough alone I am moveing everyday sometimes 2 x's a day but it is not the soft stool the you should have.

It iis really good that you don't know my real name and can see my face because my face is red and i am embarassed but all the questions abouat the BMmm's stuff.
    My Mom work for a OB?GYN and one of the sales man gave them a key chain that said take doxidan in the am and you have a BM in the Pm Ha Ha LOL. I ate asking quesstions about this subject as it embarasses me so much.

So why is it when I take the perocet 10/650 I get so bound up that it would takke several sticls of dinamite to make things move, and that is not good for me. I take the rest daily and they don't do the same thing as long as i eat the kracklin Bran and chew it up really good and take some magisuim {SP} sorry about the spelling but the meds have kicked it and I am tired. But I had this question.

What do I do to get everything soft like it should be while takeing narcotics like morphine? I have asked my doctor and he said as long as I am moving regulary I am ok , but I would feel better if it were a bit softer.
    PLease keep this bummped to the first page . Page 1 thank you
    So what can I do? just asking.

signed Embarassed Rosemarie Just look for the red face and you will know it is me!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/23/2005]
  2. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I get the same problem as you, also because of my medications.

I used to take 3 or 4 Senakot (natural laxitive tablet) when the cramps and tenderness around my stomach was too much to bare. Now I've found that taking just 1 every night keeps things in working condition, and I never get to the point of cramping anymore!

I even buy the supersize bottle now that they sell it at Costco!!

Goodluck

~Amanda
  3. Moonshyne

Moonshyne New Member

I drink more water, use Citricell... it's less gassy than metamucil the doc says. Eat lots of fruits, veggies and soups... doesn't always work tho. I have trouble digesting lettuce so salads are out for me... so I add flax seeds to my Special K hoping that helps!!

I also have a prescription for Zelnorm for the IBS which I take only when I have to!

4. maripat

maripat New Member

Same troubles here.
    I take a stool softener with a laxative in it.
    If I begin to feel bound up or if I haven't gone when I know I should of (if ya eat ya poop) I also use suppositories and enemas.
    This works most of the time.
    Maybe once every 16 months or so I end up at the hospital impacted.
    I wish you the best.
    maripat
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

And if a small glass of prune juice doesn't do it, try a regular sized one. I do the morning shake, but I suppose you could put flax seed meal in the prune juice. Don't know how it would taste, though. It also might be better to take them a different times of day so you get a series of 'gentle nudges' that keep the digestive system working normally.

Check the label of the Kracklin Bran. If my memory serves me right (which is about a 50/50 proposition), it has quite a bit of fat. I like to eat bran chex, raisin bran and the raisin filled mini-wheats straight from the box. I like to eat oatmeal sweetened with fruit at bedtime.

Raw apples or applesauce are also good to keep the digestive system perking along without causing cramps. Putting the applesauce on wholewheat toast would up the fiber in-take.
  6. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

This is a problem a lot of us have and only those who have to deal with it on a daily basis really know how troublesome it can be - and even serious.

My bowel is damaged from endometrious and therefore sensitive - I hate that word. Two things that help me when things get "tough"

*I take vitamin c powder daily in water and try to keep it at bowel tolerance level i.e., the stools are easily passed, but it is a bit of a balancing trick. If I have a 'problem', I take extra vitamin c powder, several small doses over an hour or so, not one big one- and that usually fixes the problem - but I can't go out, because when I have to go, I have to go.... Clear the hallway!!!!!

*I also find that if I add fried onions - sliced up and fried gently in olive oil until really soft- to a meal, that often does the trick.
  7. malinta

malinta New Member

I have the same problem and so far the only thing that has really worked for me was warm apple cider.'

I drank one 16 oz cup of warm sweet cider and that seemed to work fast for me.
  8. abbylee

abbylee New Member

My mom and husband eat a coffee cup full of grapes each night with dinner and have no problem with constipation. Sometimes my husband eats prunes but either will work.
  9. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Please check out my post titled "Constipation from Lorcet..how do you handle it"
    Lots of great information there.
    Happy Thanksgiving:)

Dee50
  10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Ask your doctor for a prescription for Miralax. It is not harsh and works.

You mix it with water or juice. It is odorless and tasteless - easy to use.

I used Miralax when I was taking MS Contin - I know how bad it can get with opiates, like your colon is frozen.

Miralax is very safe.

[This Message was Edited on 11/24/2005]