Questran for FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I started Questran and am herxing big-time. This is just on one scoop a day. For the first week, the amount of stuff that came out of me was staggering. I felt like stuff I ate 30 years ago was coming out. What the heck? Are we walking around with this much stuff in our intestines? Anyways, I have had moments of feeling better followed by feeling awful. It feels like you are coming down with the worst flu. I sense that my internal organs and system is working overtime on this. Anyways, has anyone gotten dramatically better on Questran? Is this hell a good sign? Thanks Tim
  2. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Tim,

Sorry the responses aren't coming very quickly... If you keep your post "bumped" to the first page, people will answer you soon.

I've never tried Questran, sorry I can't help.

Happy Holidays!
  3. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

4. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

5. simonedb

simonedb Member

for some reason this reads on prohealth that there are 4 responses to the thread but when I come into it there are only 2 responses....anyone know whats up with that?
  6. luv2float

luv2float New Member

Questran has really saved me. I started taking it after my gallbladder was removed. I was experiencing terrible diahrrea and the doc said it was because my body was no longer producing bile. I also have IBS-D.

Even if I miss a day my IBS-D will return. It really keeps me regular.

I'm sorry this is affecting you in this way. Maybe this will subside or your body cannot handle it. Good luck.
  7. Lono83

Lono83 New Member

You didn't mention why you are taking Questran (Cholestyramine). 1. Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker has had success using it as a component for illness related to exposure to water-damaged buildings. One of his published articles on this was:

Title: A time-series study of sick building syndrome: chronic, biotoxin-associated illness from exposure to water-damaged buildings
    Source: Neurotoxicology and Teratology yr: 2005 vol: 27 iss: 1 pg: 29
    Author: Shoemaker

2. Also my understanding is that it's not uncommon for some of the lyme doctors to prescribe it to some of their difficult patients.

Are you using it for a different purpose? I take it and one thing I found was that before I started avoiding certain foods (those with gluten & casein) the Questran would cause a lot of roiling in my stomach. Also when I first started it many of my symptoms ramped up, but that wasn't as much of a problem after a couple of weeks.
  8. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Simonedb,

The original poster, Manwithfibro, I think is his name responded to me twice but deleted those before I could read them. That's why the number is wrong.

9. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Thinking that maybe being toxic is causing all the pain?? It makes my body work overtime so something is happening. The World is so toxic. I am sure all the food, water etc has made us ill with Fibromyalgia.
  10. Lono83

Lono83 New Member

I think it's natural to assume that our toxic world is the cause of many of our illnesses, but there's not much evidence to directly implicate a toxic world for the illnesses of a majority of folks with Fibro and CFS (though there are definitely people who can trace the onset of their illness to a toxic chemical exposure, but they do not represent the majority of patients). Also, many of the people who have illnesses like multiple chemical sensitivity implicate exposure to mold (usually in a sick building). The mold is definitely not a byproduct of our industrialized world; it's been around way longer than humans.

Binders like Cholestyramine and Welchol might be removing toxins, but my understanding is that it's also conceivable that what they're doing is removing inflammatory byproducts produced by our immune systems. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any research being done to get to the bottom of this, so for the foreseeable future we're stuck with knowing that this treatment can lead to some improvement for some folks (though I'm not aware of it providing a cure, just some improvements), but no medical proof as to why.