Quick, cheap Help for those hip and leg pains..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by contessa, Oct 3, 2002.

1. contessa

contessa New Member

While cruising the pet supply isle I found a wonderful dog toy made by Hartz. It's a hard nylon-plastic type ball with little clover-leaf shaped nubs projecting from it. I thought, "AH HA - accupressure". I bought the thing and placed it in a thin sock (it says it's flavored but I can't smell anything-but I do have a dog in the house). When I get my hip, butt and leg pains I place the ball under the offending spot and lay on it until the pain subsides. Then I move it on the next point. It usually only take a few minutes to elimate the pain. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you as well!!
  2. contessa

contessa New Member

While cruising the pet supply isle I found a wonderful dog toy made by Hartz. It's a hard nylon-plastic type ball with little clover-leaf shaped nubs projecting from it. I thought, "AH HA - accupressure". I bought the thing and placed it in a thin sock (it says it's flavored but I can't smell anything-but I do have a dog in the house). When I get my hip, butt and leg pains I place the ball under the offending spot and lay on it until the pain subsides. Then I move it on the next point. It usually only take a few minutes to elimate the pain. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you as well!!
  3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

When I went for physical therapy, the therapist told me to do that. I just take one of my husband's racquetballs and put it where the pain is (usually my hips or butt) and roll around. At first it really hurts, but after a while the pain eases up. That way you're loosening the tight muscle. I look forward to my "roll on the ball"!
  4. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I have horrible leg pains. Especiallly my calves. I'm definitely going to give this a try, as it should cause any other problem. And I have 3 dogs that can have it if it doesn't work. dolsgirl
  5. Marilynn

Marilynn New Member

Sounds like a great tip and I am sure going to give it a try! Simple and cheap...right up my alley. LOL!
  6. chrissy

chrissy New Member

hi contessa, i tried the massage with a tennis ball also and it worked pretty well but the pain returnes when i put pressure on my leg (if I sleep on that side) so I read that capsaicin (the stuff in cayenne pepper) eliminates substance P (responsible for transmission of pain signals) from the nerve endings at the skin level. So I started rubbing my leg with an ointment that contains capsaicin( look for it in the ointment section at a drugstore and look for the highest concentration), it has gott5en rid of the pain in my calf after 2 days. I got so carried away though that i added cayenne pepper on my skin and didn't feel any burning while doing it. That night when i got in the shower my leg was on fire as soon as the watewr trickled over it and i thought my leg would fall off between my sheets from the burning. so don't get carried away, just try it with the ointment and dab on a LITTLE cayenne if you want to. Good luck
  7. pamelasng

pamelasng New Member

..That sounds like a great idea I could feel it just reading about it, when the pain between my shoulders gets so bad Im ready to scream I roll a pair of my husbands work socks up and lay on them It really helps me get to sleep but I can feel that ball massaging my back now...now to find the dogs toys..... Bye and thanks Contessa Pam.
  8. contessa

contessa New Member

Tried the stuff - hadn't had as much pain since I accidentally scalded myself as a kid. I know it's supposed to help but I nearly wished my hands would fall off to end the burning pain. I'm seeing physical therapist again today, he mentioned putting a ball behind my head - I'm going to get more info on that later.

Love the dog toy, plus it's portable. And will probably never have to be replaced, it's so sturdy. I think I paid around $5 for the thing. Enjoy your day - it's raining here in Wisc and I'm really in misery today. Wanta crawl into nice warm bed again but can't - off to shower and then drive to PT.