Quick question.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ritatheresa, Feb 5, 2006.

1. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

I previously read a post about responding to people who respond to your posts.

When I first came on the board I did feel alittle ignored but now am starting to get the hang of this and am getting some really great feedback. I think it's because the board moves so quickly?

Does any one have any tips? If I stay on the board too long my neck really starts to hurt.

I would really like to reciprocate to everyone who has really been helping me.

Thanks again, Ritatheresa
  2. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

and I cant sit here for long periods of time or I cant get up. Im new but Im sure the regulars will help us figure it out. I tried the chat room first but its too fast for me. I still havent figured out all of the lingo but I love this message bd!!

Suzette
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Stormyskye started a good post titled:

~~Tips for using this board~~

I'll bump it up for you. It has some very good information. You'll get the hang of it. There's tons of good information here.

When my neck hurts, I microwave a rice sock and drape it around my neck while sitting at the computer. Do a search on Rice Socks. They are great! You could probably make one right now. Just get an old sock and fill it with cheap rice. Tie a knot in the end and you have a rice sock. Pop it in the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes and you have a lovely heat pack for your neck. You can add a bit of lavender, if you like. Don't fill it too full, or it won't drape around your neck as nicely.

Glad you joined us!

Katy
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Ritatheresa - when you write a post, before you send it, click on the box at the bottom of the post where it says it will send you an e-mail whenever there is a reply to your post. And you will get an e-mail whenevere there's a reply, so you can respond whenever someone replies to your post. I hope this makes sense.

Mar
  5. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I have been a reader and poster here for a pretty good bit. I always just used the "view my profile" set up and sometimes still missed replies. So thanks for posting about the e-mail option as the first thing I do when I log in is to check my e-mail!
  6. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I have a terrible time with my neck as well .. I buy gel packs from Wal-Mart ( Canadian side) and put them in the freezer .. they are the only thing that I can get relief from .. the pain killers don't really help in that area for some reason.
    Give it a try ? .. it might help !
    Good Luck !
    Fudge : )
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

See if you can have the monitor at eye level with your head straight. I have mine up on two of the shelves that match my computer bookshelf. Also my monitor is from Apple and slants back some so it is very comfortable for me to view.

The monitor on the Windows computer tilts, so I have it tilted upwards some and that helps me, but I'm not on there nearly as much as I'm on my Mac.

If I stay on the computer too long my shoulders and upper back hurt from the typing. I have no answer for that one, though.

Hugs,
    Faye
  8. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Sometimes I am on and off several times a day and then I may go a few days without posting.But I enjoy coming here.I have been on message boards for depression and bipolar and this one by far has been the best as far as support and interesting topics.When I first started posting I was all down and disgusted.Since coming here I have gotten a better attitude about FM cause I don't feel alone.The board does go fast.Just jump in there...anywhere.That's what I do.SO glad you have joined us all.

Sheila
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

"Tip For Your Neck To Stay On Longer"

Yes, it's always good for your neck and other parts to stay on as long as possible.

Welcome to to the Board, Rita. Here you can find advice, info, sympathy, jokes, receipes and tips on how to use duct tape around the house.

As they say at 12-step meetings, Keep coming back.
  10. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

It does help.

Cool. Rita Theresa
  11. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

It is frustrating to not get many replies. Here's a post I wrote some time ago about how to get more responses. Tips that others added to it are to use paragraph breaks, and not to use all caps (though some readers like it, most find it hard to read).

Hope this helps. I too felt ignored before I started figuring out how the site works. But I'm getting into it more now too. :)
    ((hugs)) Shannon

tips for getting more replies to your post - please add yours too 01/18/06 06:32 PM

Here are some tips to get your posts going and thriving!
    ((( )))

WRITING YOUR POST
    Pick a title that is eye-catching: weird, original, describes the content of the message, has exclaimation marks, has an icon (especially the mooning one!), is in the form of a question, asks for help...

Topic is: something that we are all concerned about or interested in, a current event, an article, venting, a joke (we all LOVE to read these!), about a new picture in your profile, inspiring, cute, controversial, has recipes, helpful practical advice, describes a problem we all have, seeks advice, asks for personal experiences, is a poll...

MAINTAINING YOUR POST
    Even with the greatest posts, there are reasons why you may get few replies. Remember, we love you and are interested in what you say and what's going on in your life, so don't be discouraged. Here are some reasons that some posts peter out too soon, and what you can do to keep them rolling!

Not many people know about the subject you have written on. They might not have an experience with it, or advice to give. If this is the case with your post, try adding an article onto your thread about the subject. This may make lightbulbs go off in the minds of your readers and help them to recognise your subject in their lives. If they don't, you will have helped them to learn about something they didn't know before.

Maybe the board is moving too fast. By the time you go to check your post, it might have slid to page three, where not as mant people will get a chance to see it. The answer? Bump, bump, bump to the top of the line! Please remember to delete your 'bumps' after you post them, as a courtesy to your readers. Your post will stay at the top even when the 'bump' is deleted.

Sometimes if the situation is serrious, people don't know what to say. We can all be at a loss for the right words, especially at times that others need them most. You may then choose to tell us more about your problem, situation, or question. Someone here will be able to help. And keep up with the bumping so that as many people as possible will be able to see your post and reply.

If your post is addressed to a person, they may be away from the computer for longer than usual. Bump every day or so, and be sure to put their name in capital letters so they will spot it when they log on.

If you post a joke and you don't get many replies, don't worry. Most people, I think, laugh and move on. Whether they stick around to thank you or not, you can be sure that you've added a bit of sunshine to someone's day.

The title may need some tweaking. If the title does not tell what the post is about, interested people may miss your very important topic.

If your thread is flagging, sometimes a personal reply from you, the starter of the thread, will reinvigorate it. Folks will want to know how its going with you in this part of your life you have written about. Adding responses to your own post now and then is good to all of us, who want to know how you are.

And finally, like all good things in life, great posts will come and go. You will never know how many people your response has touched, and you won't get to see all the good it has done in their lives. But be assured that even when your post has long passed into the archives here, it's still going on in people's hearts. (( ))

[This Message was Edited on 02/06/2006]
  12. Shannonsparkles

Ritatheresa, is this as simple as it sounds? Can you make one for me and bring it right over? ;) Can you warm it up too, and if so, does it stay warm?

Thanks!!!!! Shannon
  13. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

I was saying my neck was bothering me.

If you look up to some of the earlier posts from this thread someone (sorry I forgot who) suggested to get a rice sock, put some rice (not minute rice) in a sock (cotton), tie it and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes and then it makes the most unbelievable warm pack I've ever had. make sure it doesn't get too hot, everyone's microwave is different. It stayed warm for a good 10-15 minutes

You could actually do a search on it. I did.

It helps!!

[This Message was Edited on 02/06/2006]
  14. Shannonsparkles

I'll give it a try sometime. :)