Quick questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cczub, Nov 13, 2005.

1. cczub

cczub New Member

2 things I'm wondering about....

Background...27y male diagnosed 1 month ago for possible fibro.

Been reading alot of post here and have heard alot about slepp studies. What does a sleep study involve? I'm trying to find out from my insurance carrier what they will cover. I live in NJ and there is a hospital very close to me that supposidly specializes in sleep disorders. I can fall asleep no problem, staying asleep is another issue. It's like I can sleep for about 45 minutes to and hour no problem but then get woken up for no apparent reason. Last night I litteraly jumped out of bed and knocked a glass of water halfway across the room.

My doctor put me on Lexapro 10mg and Xanax 1mg at bedtime. Even with those and the past few days I've taken Vicoden for a root canal I'm still having trouble staying asleep.

From what I've heard and seen on this board and other articles it seems like I should be on a sleep med like Ambien or Lunesta to help keep me asleep rather than the Xanax which helps me fall asleep. Maybe I should be on both but I hate taking tons of meds but need to start sleeping and waking up feeling like I never went to bed.

Sorry for the rant, just having a hard time dealing with this.
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My husband has done the sleep study for sleep apnea. He went to a local sleep clinic at one of our hospitals (Canadian) and they hooked him up with various leads. He now has a CPAP machine and is sleeping much better.

The trouble staying asleep is a big problem with FM. I'm on the Canacian version of Lunesta and I find it helps me alot with staying asleep.

I also take pain meds at night which I'm sure contribute as well. It's a very frustrating condition that can take quite a while to not just diagnose but to accept.

Regards,

Eileen
  3. cczub

cczub New Member

Know this wasn't the best thing to do but had to try it. As I have posted before, I'm an avid surf fisherman and last thursday night I went surf fishing. I woke up thursday morning at 6:30 stayed out all night on the beach and got home at 7:30 friday morning hurting really bad and really tired. Took my Lexapro, Xanax, Nexium and a Vicoden... Took a nice hot shower and fell asleep around 10am thinking I'd be out cold all day... Well, I slept a total of 2 1/2 hours before waking up and then went back to sleep for another 3 hours. To me, this is not normal. I used to do this all the time (before staring to feel like I do now) without meds and would sleep for 10 hours straight... I then did yard work on Satuday since I'm feeling bad about not being able to help out around the house and am hurting like hell today...

I'm getting fustrated cause my boss doesn't seem to understand no matter how hard I explain my situation. Luckly most of my work is a desk job so I can cope pretty well but there are just some days that sitting and my desk are a nightmare. It took me 1 hour to get out of bed today and another 1/2 hours to get dressed and out of the house.....
  4. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I had problems falling asleep and staying sleep. I did have a sleep study and have sleep apnea and use a cpap. Now the sleep doctor thinks I may have a REM disorder but I have not had further testing to check that yet.

I tried Ambien and I fell asleep fast and woke up 2 hours later. Lunesta works pretty good for me. It comes in 2,3 and 4 mg. I'm on the 3 mg. I am dreaming for the first time in years and most nights I only wake up a couple times and go back to sleep easily. It does not leave me feeling groggy the next morning.

The nights I sleep less, I have much greater pain. Sometimes pain interferes with sleep but I don't want to give up the Lunesta.

I hope you feel better soon.
  5. abbylee

abbylee New Member

If you will go to the talk about sleep website (connect the words and add the dot and the com) there is a "walk through" of a sleep study on the homepage - complete with pictures. It's on the left side near the top of the page in the "Quick Links" box.

abbylee PS I was diagnosed with alpha intrusion and prescribed Xyrem. I have improved by about 50%.

Also, it took me a while to figure out your second question. If it's about insurance, mine paid its part. We have an 80-20 policy and the study was $110.00. Reading the results was around $1,400.00 I think.[This Message was Edited on 11/14/2005]
  6. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

hi cczub. I just wanted to let you know about a great fibro site for men. Women can chat on the site but its mostly for men. Nice bunch of guys. the site is www.menwithfibromyalgia.com
    hugs poodlemum