Quick....Southern Cornbread Recipe

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BlueSky555, Oct 27, 2008.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I am just now cooking and want a quick, easy cornbread recipe for a very "small" iron frying pan.

PS: Not Jiffy, lol

2. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Thank you so much for the response, grammy; sure, I would love to have the recipe. I can most likely, use 1/2 or less to make the small pan, or make the entire recipe.

I'm so glad that you responded. I thought that more people here would respond but then again, they probably don't cook much anymore. I don't cook much myself but every now and then crave something "southern style", lol.

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This recipe sounds absolutely wonderful. However I have never heard of putting a frying pan in the oven!!

How long will the muffins keep in the freezer. Hopefully they thaw quickly if I get hungry, LOL!!

Now I am soooo hungry.

Take care.

4. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Thank you so much, grammy27. It sounds like "yummy" good ole southern cornbread to me.

I'm old but not ThAT old, lol; my grandmother and my great, great aunt used to make cornbread in the black iron skillet and it was sooooo good. That's how I knew about the iron pan.

Beware, gapsych; make sure the entire pan is "heatable" don't melt your handle, lol.

Do you by any chance, grammy, make southern homemade biscuits?

Again, thank you,

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am learning so much!!

Aren't cast iron skillets suppose to be good for you as they release iron in the food?

Did I dream this?

I have bookmarked this page.

6. victoria

victoria New Member

Chicago style deep dish pizzas - that's how the best restaurants cook them.

YUM! haven't had one in years.

I've always heard some iron is released, which makes sense... after all the public has been advised not to use aluminum or the old teflon coated pans because of what gets released.

7. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Grammy; you're a sweatheart. Thank you so much for both of these recipes. I saved the cornbread recipe on my pc and will save the biscuit recipe as well. I now have a printer and can print them. I've been on the "tired/anemic" side for about a week and haven't had the energy to cook but hopefully I'll get back to normal and will make both of these.

You HAVE to be a great cook. I can tell by your recipes that you have done a great deal of cooking and good-cooking at that. I will go with the "real" butter; might as well do it right, lol.

I wish I had your cooking skills (smile).

Again, thank you so much.

8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

How about gravy to go with the bisquits? We used to take bacon grease and heat it (a few tablespoons). Then combine 1 cup cold milk and 2 tablespoons flour and mix well or shake in a small jar. They gradually mix it into the hot bacon grease. Add pepper and a little salt to taste.

Cook until thick and serve with your bisquits