Quick survey re: SSD. Responses appreciated.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BonBons, Nov 11, 2002.

1. BonBons

BonBons New Member

Hi everyone. I've been job-hunting (no luck yet) so haven't posted much. I've had 2 major illness setback weeks with a couple of great days in between. I hope some of you will answer my questions below; I'd be grateful:

1. How many times did you apply for SSD before winning? (Sounds like a football game!) Or how many years, months?
    2. Did you have an attorney?
    3. Which state granted you the award?
    4. How old are you?

I wish my husband and I had the resources to NOT apply; but after losing 3 great jobs due to illnesses, and not getting one yet with a strong work background, maybe God is telling me something. I told a friend, for a Type A like me, it's the most humiliating experience of my life. Someone else said it's not fair to employers to try to work after so many failed attempts and I agree - the last one tried very hard to work with me. And to those who say they have no choice - that's what my husband tries to say but I cannot do it anymore...I can barely get our of bed sometimes. Not whining, just talking. Thanks in advance to all who reply. BonBons

[This Message was Edited on 11/11/2002]
  2. BonBons

BonBons New Member

Hi everyone. I've been job-hunting (no luck yet) so haven't posted much. I've had 2 major illness setback weeks with a couple of great days in between. I hope some of you will answer my questions below; I'd be grateful:

1. How many times did you apply for SSD before winning? (Sounds like a football game!) Or how many years, months?
    2. Did you have an attorney?
    3. Which state granted you the award?
    4. How old are you?

I wish my husband and I had the resources to NOT apply; but after losing 3 great jobs due to illnesses, and not getting one yet with a strong work background, maybe God is telling me something. I told a friend, for a Type A like me, it's the most humiliating experience of my life. Someone else said it's not fair to employers to try to work after so many failed attempts and I agree - the last one tried very hard to work with me. And to those who say they have no choice - that's what my husband tries to say but I cannot do it anymore...I can barely get our of bed sometimes. Not whining, just talking. Thanks in advance to all who reply. BonBons

3. Billie

Billie New Member

I like your name. In answer to your questions:

1.I applied twice and on the third time before the judge won.

2.Yes, I hired an attorney on my third time.

3.I live in Oregon.

4.I was 33, when my award was granted.

If there is any other questions I can help you with just let me know.......Good luck!

Billie

P.S. From start to finish it took about 1 1/2 years to get the favorable decision.[This Message was Edited on 11/11/2002]
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

It sounds like you are making the correct decision, not trying to go back to work when your body is loudly telling you it's too much for you.

I cannot answer all the SSDI questions you asked because I have just recently completed all the paperwork for it. I have an attorney already because I can't handle all the stress involved in this and I felt it was better to have guidance from the beginning.

I sugest that you begin now and I wish you luck. They say our chances are better if we are over 50, which I am. I also have basically only worked at one job all my life, teaching.

I hope that helps too, since I would have to be retrained to get another job and besides I would need to have a bed available for my naps every day! Results of private neuro/psych testing also confirm that learning anything new would not be an easy task for me!

Barbara
  5. dd

dd New Member

1. I applied in May and was approved by December.

2. No, I did not have an attorney. I did everything on my own.

3. I live in Florida.

4. I am 38 now but was 36 when I was approved.

If I can be of anymore help please let me know.

Debbie
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

1. applied once, but appealed twice after that before winning. It took 13 mos. from start to finish.

2. yes, had a lawyer.

3. Florida.

4. I'm 51, but won my case at age 35.

Klutzo
  7. inpain3

inpain3 New Member

1. applied once, got approved with in 4 months...
    2. no atty..did it all on my own
    3. lived in ohio at that time, now in tennessee
    4. i applied when i was 25, got it soon after..
    at tha back of the form, should be a green form, it should have a place to write in.i wrote in it how i felt, what i missed doing and how it depresses me that i cannot function as a "normal" . i tried to explain very openly about the pain and severity to highlight the doctors reports...all which i think helped me win the first round.
    Good luck!
    ip3
  8. paula45

paula45 New Member

I got my award in Texas. I had to go through ALL the denials and two hearings. I had an attorney (who was WORTHLESS), but I was told I wouldn't get it without one. Actually, my psychiatrist volunteered to go to the hearing with me and I think that was a MAJOR factor. I was 36 at the time and the judge didn't want to grant it because "I was so young and had a high school education". UGH! Anyway, he called in his "experts" and they agreed that I couldn't work, primarily because of depression, migraines and IBS. Looks like mine was harder than some. Good luck

Paula
  9. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

2. with a lawyer (after 2nd denial I called him)
    3. Maine
    4. I was awarded disability when I was 22 (28 now)

AMY
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

I had a legal aid rep.
    Fully favorable decision awarded after a yr or so.
    I was 34yrs old at the time
    a long,exhausting haul but worth it~
    GOOD LUCK!!
  11. SaraD

SaraD New Member

1. I have applied 3 times, now at the hearing stage. Had my hearing August 2nd and waiting to HEAR something soon, I HOPE! Started the process in May of 2001.

2. Yes I do have an attorney, but he's really no help.

3. I am in Maine

4. I am 29.

Thanks for checking...
    Sarad
  12. 2thFairyIsBroke

2thFairyIsBroke New Member

I am on my 3rd appeal over 2 years now. retained a lawyer this time, I think he will be a tremendous help now. I also emailed my Congressman with all my concerns and feelings, he called me and said he will follow my case so nothing falls between the cracks. His assistant follows up with me often, and I think things are moving along with speed this time, I guess when a Congressman gets involved, they seem to move like there is a firecracker in their butts. It has been a long struggle. I don't know how many times you can appeal, does anyone here know? Can I keep appealing every time or is there a limit on it? HEY 3rd time is a charm, right?

BonBon.....I am sending you an ocean of hope with a hug on each wave......
  13. kuntrybumkin

kuntrybumkin New Member

I have had an attorney this whole time. I live in Ca in the high desert and there are some very wealthy people here and some extremely trashy. My attorney said I look to good for the area and am too educated. I have gone through two hearings and just filed again. I tried to get rid of my attorney but his paralegal went off on me on the phone and said he was doing everything possible to help me. All he has ever done is show up in court but has nothing much to say while there. Their side has had DR's testify against me and I have nothing. My Dr. is not very reliable so they said they would have my records supoenaed but never did.
    I have been told I am too young to get SSDI yet I hear so many people on here have gotten it so much younger. I see my Dr. tomorrow and plan to beg him for help in getting SSDI or I will give up this time cause my other Dr's just keep saying I am really messed up at such a young age but won't back it up with a letter.
    I wish you all luck though. Maybe once I lose everything here I can get on welfare.....no that won't work either as long as my ex husband sends me some support once in awhile.

I'm doomed.

Debbie
  14. queenbee69

queenbee69 New Member

hey......... First time out i got it. No lawyer. New york state,it took 3 months from start to finish, im 46.............queenbee69