"Quick Tips" to Make Our Lives Easier ... Let's Hear Yours

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Jun 29, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

I know we have done these type posts before, but maybe we can come up with some new "quick tips" -- some tips to make our daily lives a little easier, whether it is in the kitchen, bathroom, or something personal.

Here are my Quick Tips:

BAKE LIKE A PRO ……
    When whipping egg whites, use room-temperature eggs, not cold ones. This will make them whip up more quickly.

RELIEVE A HEADACHE FAST …..
    When you are eating or drinking something cold and get “brain freeze” or an “ice-cream headache,” sip a lukewarm drink right away.

GET RID OF PERSPIRATION STAINS …..
    (1) Soak the stain in Dawn dish soap for about 12 hours. Use just enough Dawn to cover the stain and work it in with a toothbrush. Then put the garment in with a regular load of wash after it is done soaking.
    (2) Use a product called “Carbona Stain Devils,” which you can buy at the grocery store or Wal-Mart in the detergent isle. It comes in several formulas—one each for blood, milk, ink, etc. If it doesn’t come out with Carbona—nothing will work!

SOOTHE BUG BITES …..
    Rub insect stings with a bar of soap to relieve itching.

MAKE A FIRST-AID COMPRESS ….
    Cut a couple of new sponges in half and dampen them with water, put them in the freezer. When you need to soothe sore muscles or bruises, slip a frozen sponge into a plastic sandwich baggie and hold it next to your skin.

BRIGHTEN YOUR FINGERNAILS …..
    To shine your nails, scrub them with an old, clean toothbrush and whitening toothpaste; rinse.

ADD BODY TO YOUR HAIR ……
    Pour 12 ounces of beer on your hair (after you shampoo and condition), massage in, and then rinse with water to give your hair an extra boost of volume.

PAINT TOENAILS WITH EASE …..
    Save Styrofoam peanuts from packages. Use them as toe separators for pedicures.

BRAS THAT STICK TO YOU WHEN IT’S HOT OUTSIDE …..
    Natural fabrics absorb moisture better than synthetic ones, so wear a cotton bra on hot days.

MAKE A MANICURE LAST LONGER …..
    After you apply two coats, brush the polish horizontally across the tips.

PROTECT YOURSELF FIRST, BUT KEEP COOL IF YOU GET SUNBURNED ....
    * Put sunblock on 15 minutes before you go outside.
    * Take Advil (ibuprofen) and treat the tenderness of a burn with a numbing gel, like Solarcaine.
    * If you get a bad burn, use aloe vera straight from the plant—not the kind from the store.
    * Remember—sunscreen and sweat can bring out blemishes.

Please add your quick tips!!!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Good for you.

My mother was a compulsive cleaner. And that's what her children remember.

No one remembers her as a good mother.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/29/2006]
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

all the uses for plain Baking soda!!

Cleaning , Laundry , Oder control in fridge and eles where ,my dad always brushed his teeth with it! I do too some times! also you can use it as a seditive for upset stomach!

also i use plain white vinager to clean my coffee pot! another favorite is if you get a boquet(sp) of flowers and want to dry them~~~~ Hang then up side down from a hook or nail (with a rubber band to hold them togeather) and let them dry for a day~~~~ then spray them with hairspray alot and that will preserve them!!
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

sisland - thanks for the tip on drying the flowers. My daughter just sent me a big bouquet of fresh flowers last week when I had my knee surgery. I would like to dry a lot of them. There was a new rose in them -- a "green" rose. The florist said it's the newest thing out. It really looked like a yellow-green to me, but in the light, it was definitely green.

There was also a new shade of pink rose--it was like a Barbie pink, bubblegum pink--not the traditional pink rose.

That's why it would be nice to preserve them! Thanks again for the hint.
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    and your welcome!! isn't it something how they can make these new colors happen to roses and other flowers in general!! Sounds Beautiful!! Love the Bubblegum pink color!! have fun!! sisland
  6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Change all the light bulbs to 40 watts and clean the bathroom mirrors.

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  7. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Lock the doors when I see my husband coming towards the house with basket of veggies from his garden!

Mari
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

LOLlol that's funny!! I take it you don't feel like cleaning and cooking them?? hugs sisland
    [This Message was Edited on 06/30/2006]
  9. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I was trying to be funny. (-:
    But, it has been alot of work on me. We put corn, beans, & peas in freezer. The blueberries are now ready too! I would totally enjoy it if I was in normal health....grumpy me )-:

All kidding aside..my hubby is good about it. It is just that he OVER PLANTED this year. We have given so much away to friends and family. One good thing, it has helped alot of people out that needed vegetables. My friends have even offered to come up and help shell the peas and put in freezer for me when next crop is ready!

Anyone want to come to Florida and pick peas?
  10. millennia

millennia New Member

Denture cleaner is the most helpful stuff in the world. Everyone should keep a box of it on hand. Throw 2 in the toilet and it will clean the section of the toilet with water in it (unfortunately it doesn't clean under the rim). If you have a bottle or jar or glass you can't get to the bottom of, drop a tablet and some water in! And if you have coffee or tea stains on anything, get the denture remover for coffee stains. If your coffee pot is as stained as mine was it might take a couple of times, but it really helps and saves a ton of energy that you would've wasted on scrubbing.
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    It would be my dream to have a big beautiful garden!! Where i live we only have a communial (SP) garden! I used to have a big one years ago! And i loved it!!

My mom and Grandma had really big gardens! so i was used to it(grew up learning how to weed!) that is so neat that you give produce away to people who need it!! I would love to come and help you shell peas~~~~~snap beans etc!! I know how you feel about all the work being to much!!

darn it anyway!! glad you have Hubby to help you!!.....................goodluck sisland Oh i forgot to tell you whatis in my garden space which is 6 ft by 6ft! Strawberrys and tomato's and some flowers!!
  12. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

to dry my hair ,that way if the dryer is too heavy or I can't lift my arms.I just move the neck to where I want the dryer.Linda
  13. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

The most helpful thing I discovered at the FM Rehab program at Cedars Sinai was using a handheld shower massage thingy in the shower.

Twisting under a stationary showerhead to rinse my hair and body and having to keep my arms in the air to wash and rinse my hair caused serious pain and exhaustion every time I showered.

I discovered that with the handheld thing, I could spray the water on me, rather than twisting around under the spray. It was one little thing, but it made my life so much better!

- julie (is free!)

Hold on
    We're headed for a better life.. - Keith Urban
  14. libra55

libra55 New Member

Keep a supply of trash bags right in the bottom of every trash basket. That way when you empty the trash bag, your supply of bags is right there and all you have to to is put a new one in, no running all over the house to find the box of bags, which if you're as spacey as me sometimes you have no idea where you put it.

And keep a trash bag in every single room. Put cleaning supplies in every bathroom. Sure beats running.

Michelle
  15. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

Boiling water is a fantastic weedkiller. It is perfect for paved areas, and anywhere that is not too close to plants.

Also very economical, and environment friendly.
  16. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

Turn the ringer off and the answering machine off and all cell phones and leave them off.

aaaahhhhhhhhhh silence its so sweet.
  17. ckball

ckball New Member

I have lived alone for over 12 years, BTW love it most of the time. Anyway I sit in my whirlpool tub in the evening, instead of putting regular pj's on, I put my clothes I plan to wear at home the next day. I wear alot of Walmart T's nd knit shorts.

It save on laundry and I'm alredy dressed when I get up, :)
  18. sisland

sisland New Member

This saves me alot of time! If your going shopping lets say at a grocery store for example, and you know your going to write a check for the payment ,I fill it out at home before i leave all but the amount! ..............................anyway it saves time in the check out lane!!
  19. JLH

JLH New Member

I love to drink coffee (have to drink decaf) in the mornings, but my hands and wrists have a lost of arthritis in them and it's hard for me to pick up a heavy ceramic coffee mug.

I have had these Corning Ware plasic coffee cups for 15 years or more. One by one, they have all cracked and I am down to only 2 left.

I need HELP!!!!!

Does anyone know a site that sells lightweight plastic coffee mugs? I have googled the web to search for them and everything and I just can't find them anywhere!! I have looked in dollar stores, and every store I shop in, but no regular size plastic coffee cup.

I think all they make now are the glass ones, or ceramic ones.

If you know of a source to purchase a lightweight coffee cup, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  20. JLH

JLH New Member

bump .... I was hoping someone knew where I could buy some lightweight coffee cups/mugs!