QuickQuiz: Picture Game 11

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Oct 14, 2014.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

An igloo is a snowstorm?

Rock
    :p
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Funny Rock! :) I'm still trying to get the picture pasted in here! I'm so frustated! Somebody HELP me, help me, help me! :0 Techno challenged GB
  4. rockgor

Hi GB

Sorry you're having problems.

Over 20 years ago a friend was showing me how to work the computer. He said,
    "Computers are so complicated and the net is so vast that no one could ever know
    everything that's going on." Or something like that. Anyhoo, I'd help if I could,
    but have mucho problems myself.

Just spent 20 minutes looking for a photo of a roller skate key I could post. Couldn't
    find one. But here are some pics of old fashioned items I was able to copy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alas, I have no idea how to make a pic bigger or smaller. And it's getting really difficult
    to find pics that can be copied. Took me half an hour plus to find these.

Do you recognize any of them? Have any in your home? Or maybe grandfolk's home?
    They are all familiar to me, but then I was born during FDR's administration.

Rock
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

The first one looks like a washboard for clothes washing. My grandmother used to use one. Or it could be a weaving loom. I also recognized the wringer washing machine on another thread. My neighbor had one of those. GB
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  6. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

GB, sorry that you're having problems posting pics. It's not an easy explain. And as Rock mentioned, just searching and searching for non-copyrighted pics gets frustrating. Then you find a pic, and PH says "pic too large", so you can't post it. You have to use a photo editor program. Oh...... I don't understand how it got to be this challenging.

I enjoy posting pic games. But I'm doing them less often, because of the above difficulties. I'm glad that Rock can find some pics. Soul has posted pics in the past as well.

We'll just keep posting and playing and sharing and LOL'ing, as we can! :)

Hugs, Diane
  7. rockgor

Hi Kids

GB, you're right about the washboard. We had one hanging in our back porch when
    I was a kid. I think my mother used it once or twice when she was washing an
    area rug in a galvanized tub in the back yard. Of course it can also be a
    musical instrument if you play in a hillbilly band or with Spike Jones.

And yes, it's a kerosene lamp. We had one we used when the power went off
    during storms. The plain kerosene lamp had a tall clear glass chimney. After just
    one use the chimney got all sooty and had to be washed.

The one in the photo is decorative. The chimney was covered with one or
    two globes. The expensive ones were hand painted. In our village, the
    postmaster and his wife collected antiques. Their living room had several
    spinning wheels and elegant kerosene lamps with flowers painted on them.

The machines in the middle pic are cream separators. My great uncle's farm
    had a "milk house" which was just a shed. After the cows were milked, the milk
    was poured into the top of the machine and whirled around. Either by hand
    or electric power. Somehow this separated the cream. The filled milk cans
    were picked up the next morning by the man from the dairy.

When my great aunt came into town she often brought us a quart of cream,
    produce from her garden or home grown bacon. That was back in the
    days when food had flavor and was actually chemical free and nutritious.

Diane, I was surprised the cream separators pic came out so big. Haven't
    had PH indicate any pics were too large yet.

Rock
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Diane, I had no idea it was that difficult to post pics. I did find one that I would like to post and I have saved it in a file on a 'My Documents' program. Is there an easy way to take it out of that file and put it on PH? I've been trying but can't figure out PH's procedure. Thanks to anyone who can help. GB
  9. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

OK, GB, let's try this .....

I'm going to have to edit this post many times, because I'll be trying to post a pic as I type instructions to you. So bear with me, please.

First, you are logged in. Then you want to create a new thread (which you know how to do).

Then you can type an opening, such as "hi folks, guess this pic"......

OK, you know where your pic is stored on your hard drive ("documents").

So, where you want your pic to appear: you click on one of the options BELOW, where you are typing NOW:

It says "UPLOAD A FILE".

You find that file on your hard drive, and double click on it.

Once again, look below where you are typing. There are two choices -- thumbnail, or full image.

I select full image, so y'all can see it. (If you select thumbnail, I believe that your pic will be able to be viewed when a new window opens after clicking.)

Anyways, here's a pic I've used in the past. It's not copyrighted. And it's "full image."

CLICK ON FULL IMAGE, AND VOILA! THERE'S YOUR PIC!

ThePig.jpg

Not sure these instructions are super clear. My brain is a bit foggy this a.m.

But give it a try. Know where your file is on your hard drive. Look for the "upload a file" button. Click on "full image." Those are the basics!

By the way -- the above pic is a sandwich from a local restaurant near where my hubby works. It's called "The Pig." I don't know if y'all want to know what's on it! Here in Pittsburgh, it's so common to put french fries, even fried eggs, on sandwiches! (I kinda say "yuck" to that!) LOL

Good luck, GB!

Diane
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Diane! I uploaded a picture! :) My husband helped me with it too, so between the two of you it worked.

I didn't get the picture I wanted but at least I am learning to do this. Yay! I had another pic but it's stuck in a word document file I can't get it to post. Maybe I can figure out how to move it to a jpg.
    This is fun. GB
  11. rockgor

[​IMG]

Good work, GB. Just think what we could do if we had been given lessons
    since kindergarten. That's what one of my young coworkers told me about
    20 years ago.

Rock
  12. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Yep I remember the commodore 64, that was for the 'rich' folks :p I couldn't afford a commodore but saved up for a P2000 instead and typed in books full of games machinelanguage meant for the commodore 64 in to try and get a the cool games that where written for the 64 to work on my P2000 which never really worked but did teach me a little bit about computerlanguage. The cool thing about the P2000 was that you could make music on it.
  13. rockgor

Hi Kids

I remember computer languages. Had some friends back in the 70s who were studying
    Cobol and Fortran. Played bridge with a guy who took computer classes. Said they
    were learning about "gates" which were open or shut. I don't suppose they were
    named after Bill Gates.

Soul, how did the computer make music? GB, why did you go back to college? To get
    your degree? We were born in the same year. I read decades ago that once people become
    adults, they pretty much feel ageless. But I think that changes when you get old. At
    least I am very conscious of being old and feeble. Maybe if I were old and healthy it would
    be different.

Rock
  14. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Rock you could start a program or something that would turn the keyboard into a kind of piano or something like that. I also have a tune in my head that popped up after all these years, computermusic tune but I don't recall what it was connected to....

I haven't grown up yet so I'm not sure how that would feel :p But I'm sure you feel the same person as when you where as a young ladd when hearing you talk about them days. Your body may feel different but the soul feels the same doesn't it?
  15. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Soul, I haven't heard of the P2000 before. That sounds interesting. My son and his wife had bought a C64 in 1987 or so and brought it to my house to show me how it worked. I loved it and finally bought one. Had lots of fun with it. GB
  16. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Must have been something like this. I remember the small casettes but don't remember much of it except for that strange tune. It must have come out around that same time or probably somewhat earlier (looked it up came out in the '80s as I don't think I had the 'latest' model and it was already way priced down then. I believe the c64 was two or three times as expensive. The wiki does mention that it was more popular over here then in other places.

[​IMG]
  17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Soul, When I purchased my C64, the price had dropped to about $135.00 or so. It was in the late 1980's. I think they were much more expensive when they first came out.

I really loved that thing and wish I still had it around. We got rid of it years ago. I see Ebay has lots of them listed for around $80.00 . It also had a way to play computer generated music. I enjoyed that. GB
  18. rockgor

Hey, GB. Born in 1940, difficulty in school due to illness, majored in Psych. Me too!
    Who'da thunk it? Kinda like those soap operas. Twins separated at birth. SOL
    (Smiling Out Loud.)

Rock

[​IMG]
  19. rockgor

Yup, GB

Class of 58. Twenty five years later I took my son to Minnesota. We visited
    the school. Our class picture was still hanging in the hall with all the other class
    photos. Forty-four in our class. My son was 12. He kept looking at the picture
    and then at me; back and forth. Finally he said, "Is that really you?"

Our old grade school building (which had been the High School when my mother
    was graduated) was torn down in the 60s. And our high school building has
    been enlarged, and is now a consolidated school. Kids are bussed in from another
    village.

Time Marches On, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we march with it. Ha ha!

My birthday was 3 months ago so maybe we're not really twins. Sorry you were
    ill at such a young age. I didn't become disabled till middle age, but was still able
    to work half time. Hope you're having a good weekend. Well, you know. Good
    as it gets for us.

Rock