Quit Narcotics, still miserable!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hermitlady, Mar 4, 2010.

1. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Hi guys,

It's been about 5 wks since I detoxed from Norco and Methadone. I am getting so discouraged because I'm still so weak and hurting so bad. My doc said give it 2 months for my body to recover and readjust to life without pain meds. I don't know if I can wait any longer!!!!

This is really wearing on me, not sleeping well, depressed, MISERABLE. I just can't ever imagine being able to get up and live my life again without these meds. I also went off of Dexedrine which had been a lifesaver for about a year, but it had pretty much quit being effective just like the narcotics had. I've tried Provigil again, but it makes me feel even weaker now. And to top it off, I can't even sleep during the day to escape!

I'm angry and sad. How am I supposed to keep my spirits up when I feel so terrible? I detoxed because I knew the meds were starting to hurt me more than help me, (my dr agreed)...but this is ridiculous! I'm choking down lots of supps, and sick to my stomach from them everyday. HELP!!!

I have an appt next Thurs w a pain consultant doc, but a week seems like an eternity right now. I don't know how I'm going to stay sane if everyday continues to be another torture session like it has been lately. I'm just not feeling any better at all.

I will say that my pain level doesn't peak as high as it did while on Norco/Meth, but it's more of a constant medium level of pain....No letting up now that I just take Tylenol and NSAIDS.

I'm just asking for a shoulder to cry on and some support. I don't know what else to do.

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I'm sorry to hear that you still aren't feeling any better. Does taking a warm bath or using a heating pad help at all? I find that heat helps me when I get headaches, but as I don't have FM, I don't have any idea if it would help you or not. I can understand that you don't want to go back on the narcos, but at the same time, you want some relief.

Sorry I can't help you. Hopefully your doctor is right and this will soon pass. I totally understand how a week can feel like forever sometimes.

3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I was just talking to my husband and he told me to soak in the tub too. I have been doing this daily, but it only helps while I'm in there. I feel like it's a big waste of water cuz we have a huge jacuzzi tub and it empties our 80 gallon hot water heater!

I have been living under my electric blanket or w my heating pad. Heat only helps a little, my pain is all the way thru my guts, I swear I can feel every inch of my body throbbing right now.
    I'm thinking I should change my name to Debbie Downer:(
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2010]
  4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I've been on Armour before, and ended up w a goiter from it! The alt med doc I was seeing didn't check my levels and back then I didn't know any better. My primary doc discovered it and took me off of the Armour. Just had various Thyroid testing done, and all normal.

I do have MSM too, but haven't taken much since I'm having stomach issues from all the supps. I do take the multi and lots of Bs, D3 regularly and add the others when my gut can handle them.

Thanks for always being so helpful, I REALLY appreciate it. H
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Argggh - only thryoid meds help if you NEED thyroid meds!!!! They are not a cure-all for true FM pain! Sorry, but that is not the answer to everything!

I understand your reason for going off your pain meds, but I am wondering what you and your Dr. discussed beforehand for pain relief. Was the plan to stay off pain meds forever or to try to get your tolerance levels down so that maybe they're helpful again in the future? Would you or your Dr. be opposed to trying something like Tramadol which isn't a 'true' narcotic.

You may be feeling pain like you haven't ever before because now you're truly feeling it when before you had at least little relief- and/or you're experiencing the sometimes excruiating PAIN that comes with Fibro.

I totally understand about the tub thing. Everything you said, even about filling the nice big jacuzzi tub, I get. All you get is 10 minutes of relief - you're looking for more. It takes me 15 minutes to fill my tub! I actually hate getting out of the tub cause I hate the cold.

Unfortunately unless you have inflammation the NSAIDS aren't going to help much. Motrin or Ibuprofen might help only because of the pain relieving qualities. Can you take Tylenol PM to help you sleep? That is one thing that helps me sleep UNLESS my pain is too severe, but I can usually get a few good hours in at least.

You are SO STRONG, but don't do anything just to remain strong. Do what you need to do to have some qualify of life. I'm happy that you have a Dr. that is really working with you. Hopefully your upcoming appt will help you.

I hope that things at home are going well. Try to keep your stress at bay. That won't help with your pain. Of course you already know that. =)

Thinking of you my friend!
  6. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Over the past wk, it seems I'm getting worse instead of better. I know my inactivity is contributing to my weakness, but how am I supposed to be more active when I'm so weak? It's the old Catch 22 scenario!

To answer some questions.....

I'm on Prozac, have been for most of the past 12 yrs. Tried many others, but didn't agree w me. I want to ask my doc about Savella, it's one of the latest ADs for FM pain. I haven't seen anyone talk about it here tho. I started a post asking if anyone was using it, but no replies. It's similar to Effexor from what I've read.

My doc is very supportive and wants me to be patient and see if the supps will eventually help. Also referred me to a pain doc who I see 3/11...I'm counting the days til I get to see him! I'm thinking he'll "prescribe" PT, acupuncture and other non narcotic treatments to begin with. I'll keep you posted.....

I can't take any of the PM type OTC meds cuz they make me extremely antsy and restless. It's the decongestant or antihistamine (don't remember which it is) ingredient that supposedly makes you sleepy, but it backfires on me. I take Trazodone, Valerian, and Calmes Forte (homeopathic) lately at night and it's helping. Some nights nothing works tho, the aching is intolerable!

My doc says Tramadol/Ultracet, even tho not an actual narcotic, acts on the Opioid receptors similar to narcotics, so I can't use that quite yet. We're going to try to let my pain receptors calm down before deciding whether to go back on pain meds, I have to stick it out and see what happens. It's been over 2 months of suffering since I started tapering down, and I think I need to give it 2 more months to see how it goes.

Stress is a huge factor at home, as I've mentioned before. My dd has been in a horrible manic phase and just keeps getting more aggressive. Wed night she told me she was going to stab me w a knife and kill me. Needless to say, I was a bit stressed! She also hit me 6 times and elbowed me HARD in the back. The next day I was in much more pain and tons weaker, and of course crying my eyes out. Had to bump my Prozac back up to 40mg, it's helped a little.

We are going to be visiting some group homes soon, she turns 18 at the end of March and will have to be placed. Our family just cannot continue to live w this constant turmoil, there is so much negative energy here. Poor thing, she's mentally ill and just cannot control herself. It's sooo heartbreaking.

Well, I've been laying on my heating pad for the last hour...muscle spasms all over the left side of my back. I have Flexeril, but I really don't think it helps. Today I'm trying a combo of Tylenol and Aspirin, alternating dosages, but so far no relief.

I'm off to the tub...never even bathed, showered or brushed my teeth yesterday...ewww. I can't believe I have become such a slug!

I am going to ask my doc at my next appt if I can go back on Dexedrine or Adderall, that was a huge help when it worked. I just have to take breaks from it sometimes when my tolerance builds up. I'm able to be much more active and that in turn helps the pain I think. We'll see what he says.

I am not "living" like this, some days I feel like I'm 2/3 dead. I'm sure you guys can relate, this is not the way I thought my life would be.

THX again for your support everyone..........xoxo Hermit[This Message was Edited on 03/06/2010]