Quitting Cigarettes; Let's Do It Together

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pat460, Jun 4, 2007.

1. pat460

pat460 New Member

Hey All,

I saw fight's thread and decided to post too. Today is Day 4 for me. Yeah!!! I'm struggling every step but, I'm determined this time. I started Chantix yesterday. It's making me very sleepy for some reason.

Anyone else still trying to quit? Share with me, please? It might be easier together.

I've been asking my girls( 9 & 11) when I get a real bad craving, "Why should mommy quit smoking?" The answers make me cry but, they keep me from going to the store to buy a pack. It really tore me up when my 9 year old said, "You might die and then I won't have a Mommy anymore". Kids have a lot of good answers if we stop to listen.

Come On, Let's ALL Do This!!!

2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

unfornately i p/u that bad habit in my mid 30's...never smoked before that. now i am 42 ...and i have quit for like 5 months here and a couple months there. but i am urging you to continue doing what is working for you...

keep in touch w/us....i know my insurance won't pay for it i am sure...i have medi-care adn medi-cal....but it would be worth the money to pay for cheaper than smoking in the long run!

3. pat460

pat460 New Member

ovrwhelm; I'm so glad my husband doesn't smoke, that would make it impossible for me to quit. As bad as I want one sometimes, I know if I'm around anyone smoking that I won't make it. Thank you for the encouragement!

69mach1; You might want to check with your insurance just to be sure. I carried the prescription in my purse for a whole month wishing I could come up with the money. Then I got a bad bronchial infection and was prepared to spend my bill money when I went to the pharmacy but, my insurance surprisingly paid for it! Just call them and ask. I've heard some really good stories about Chantix. I hope they're true!

sweetpotatoe; Yay! Day 2! You're doing it!!! I made it through today. It wasn't too awful. The Chantix is helping a lot I think. I wanted to smoke really bad earlier so I started chewing a piece of nicotine gum. BIG mistake! It made me nauseous. I won't try that again as I hate throwing up more than anything. I guess it's the med. working because others told me it affected them the same way. Maybe this will work afterall.
    Keep it up! You're doing great too! We can do this!!!

4. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

I am going to slap a patch on in the morning, need your prayers as my hubby smokes, but outside. I will keep all of you in my prayers.

5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Interesting that I quit 6-6-2004 so it's been three yrs.
    today. Haven't even had a puff ! I chose "D-Day" on
    purpose and well in advance. Got the ash tray out of
    sight and did it "raw turkey"! After having to eat that
    uncooked meat and dry feathers, haven't wanted to
    have to do it again down the road. It has been shown
    that "Cold Turkey" is the most effective way to arrive at
    long term success. But, what ever works 4-U !!

I know you can do it! My "Old Squeeze" and two of my
    roommates smoke but I'm now little effected. Best
    wishes Girl!

[This Message was Edited on 06/06/2007]
  6. dononagin

dononagin New Member

ok, I know I gotta do it too. I'm looking at a neck surgery on the horizen and I know I have to quit for at least a month before they will consider doing the surgery.

I'm 47. I've smoked since I was 14. How the heck am I going to do this??

I know I have to get myself motivated and in the right frame of mind, but truly, I like to smoke. I'm scared to quit.

7. mezombie

mezombie Member

You can do it!

There was a thread on this a month or two ago, and someone mentioned sucking on straws. Hey, why not? When I quit, I literally did not know what to do with my right hand. I was so used to having a ciggie between my fingers!

So maybe having something like a straw, or even a pen on hand to put between your fingers in place of the ciggie might help. I didn't try that, but would have if I'd thought of it at the time!

I kept munchies around so I could put something in my mouth, lol.

Good luck to all of you, and remember, sometimes it's one step forward, one step back...but you'll get there.

8. pat460

pat460 New Member

Today was day 7 for me. Yeah!!! I thought it would be easier by now but, I thought wrong. O.K. maybe a teeny tiny tad bit easier. I think I might start using a straw or toothpick to keep my hands and mouth occupied. Great idea and thanks for it! I knew a girl that quit by chewing on straws so who knows? Could work. I've gained 2lbs. already----not good!

For those of you just starting, check into the Chantix. I think it works a lot better than the patches. At least have a look at the website. They give you a card with it that turns you on to a support site. You get an uplifting message every day, people you can talk to when the cravings get bad, they calculate how much money you've saved, and how much time you've added to your life. It's pretty neat. I like the medicine because it doesn't contain nicotine. If you smoke after it builds up in your system, either you get no pleasure from the cigarette or you get really nauseous.

mrdad; You're too funny. Thanks, I needed a chuckle!

Please, everyone keep sharing how your quit is going. It inspires me a lot!

Thank you all for the uplifting comments and stories. I hope you will keep them coming. They do help me and I definitely need all the loving support I can muster. You all are the greatest!

Love Ya----Mean It! Pat
  9. pat460

pat460 New Member

Come on girl, do this with us! Check out the Chantix site. You get to keep smoking for a week or so if you want, while it builds up in your body. I didn't want to quit. I love to smoke. I love the relaxed state it puts me in. But that's the addiction talking to me and you. Make a list of the positive things that will come when you quit.

I've been thinking I might blow my ciggy money on lottery tickets. Something totally senseless and fun is in order for the ultimate reward. No bill paying with the money! That is a definite!

Good Luck! You know you are a strong minded competent woman who isn't going to let some little ole puny addiction sticks beat you. Are you??????

10. pat460

pat460 New Member

Good For You!!! Yeah!!! You're really doing great---and cold turkey too! Wow!

We are non-smokers now aren't we? That's a good way to look at it that I hadn't really thought of. I hope this gets easier as we go. I reached for a new lighter in the store today, then I thought wait, you don't smoke anymore. Am I losing it because of the extra oxygen going to my brain, or do you find yourself doing crazy stuff like that too. I do like to tease my girls. I tell them I'm running to the store for a pack of cigarettes just to freak em out a bit sometimes. But it does feel good inside to know I don't really WANT to go buy any. I guess that's some improvement I just realized right this minute while typing this! Wow, maybe it is getting easier!

Well, you keep up the deep breathing and I'll send some goods vibes into the universe for you. Hopefully, we'll both look back on this whole addiction in a year or so and say, why on earth did I ever think sucking in smoke felt so good!

Take Care! Pat
  11. pat460

pat460 New Member

I was just wondering if you all are still struggling with me? I hope you are both sticking with it. I think of you every day when the cravings hit, wondering if you're fighting them at the same time.

We CAN DO THIS! Don't give up!

Today was day 10 for me. Still fighting to be smoke free.
  12. mrdad

mrdad New Member

---GREAT Pat !! Stay wiff it Kiddo!!! We're PROUD of

U. !!!

MRDAD aka Joe
  13. amber7

amber7 New Member

I've really got to stop. have been chain smoking for the past 3 months and its started to catch up with me- got a chest infection and a horrible cough!

also, i live in england and they ban smoking in all public places on july 1st.

any tips?

amber x
  14. pat460

pat460 New Member

MrDad; Thank you soooo much for the encouraging words! I need all of those I can get! Today was day 13 for me. Yeah!!!! It's getting a bit easier and I do have some new found energy--which is an awesome feeling, so I hope it lasts. My husband lost his job yesterday. It was really tough to get through the evening and night without smoking because cigarettes have always been the crutch that holds me up during times of stress and crisis. I did it though and now I feel so much stronger and more confident. I think my fibro pain has even lifted a bit? I sure hope that side effect lasts forever!

amber7; I can't recommend Chantix enough! It has helped me so much. Please check it out. It can give your smoke free life back to you without all the cravings and irritable days. Though I still fight some cravings, this is the easiest time I have ever had when trying to quit and I have tried it all.

twinofdar; Thanks for the words of encouragement! And, good luck to your husband. You know, my dad smoked Prince Albert and rolled his own for years. I used to love watching him roll one. I thought that was such talent! He would light one, take a couple draws, and then hold it in his lips until it went out. One cigarette would last half a day at least! So he didn't smoke much at all that way. Maybe it will help your husband more than what you think.

Any other takers out there? How is everyone doing with their quit? Please let me know as I'm very interested in your story. Remember, each day is a new one and good for new beginnings. Good luck to all of us struggling.