Qusetion about Igenex test and ABX

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by brainfoggy, Jun 27, 2008.

1. brainfoggy

brainfoggy New Member

Hi

I've been diagnosed with CFS but recently saw an LLMD who is convinced I have lyme. So we did the Igenex test and Labcorp test for co-infections (I already have/had mycoplasma, EBV, Cpn). The Igenex test I presumed was going to be at most $400, it ended up being very costly $800!!! He was very aggressive with this test, and I don't even know if I have it or not. He also put me on zithromax which made me feel horrible but now I feel a bit better, a little more like me. I managed today to get my CFS doc to give me doxy for the co-infections.

I guess my question is was it necessary for him to test for so many bands the first time? And are the ABX a common and effective way to kill these co-infections and lyme?

Thanks!!!
  2. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Lots of LLMD's will run the whole panel, for the co-infections, etc. to get the whole picture. My LLMD actually does the western blot thru 3 labs at the same time to compare resuts.

The good news is that you won't be wasting any more of your life, and money is easy to make when you feel good. :)

Best of luck!

Bunny
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

I assume you meant by saying your doctor was 'very aggressive' with testing that he tested you for more than lyme?

I'm guessing he ordered testing based on your 'clinical picture', ie your symptoms and history. Keep in mind that ticks are pretty dirty, ie, they carry a lot of infections, and most who have lyme have other infections-- and one can also have a combination of the other infections but not lyme.

95% of vector-born disease is born by ticks... unfortunately testing for lyme is the most reliable, and at best it's only 70%. However, if you get positives on anything else, at least you and your doctor will know you have it, instead of having to figure it out from your response to abx.

This difficulty with unreliable tests is why even the CDC says that these dx's should be based on the clinical picture, NOT a blood test alone.

I sympathize with you tho, my son had $3,000 worth of testing 2 different times in one year, the only thing he kept showing positive for was Lyme (all 5 bands that the CDC looks for to track it) and nothing else... Yet it became obvious he's got babesia and bartonella at the very least as well, just from symptoms.

I don't know if that makes you feel any better. But testing just helps to hopefully know something more than you did when you started, and to document it.

all the best,
    Victoria

4. brainfoggy

brainfoggy New Member

So I'm trusting this was all necessary and will be a good step in the right direction. Yay!!!! I should get my life back! I will be relieved at some definitive answers and just hope I can afford the meds and treatment.

Thanks again
    Mandy